Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live?
Fayetteville AR 5 7.94%
Knoxville TN 11 17.46%
Greenville SC 27 42.86%
Chattanooga TN 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,011 times

Advertisements

All things being equal on employment if you had the same job, same income in all of these cities which one would you prefer and why? Some areas of interest in terms of comparisons: Outdoor activities and scenic beauty? Home prices and quality of housing stock? Things to do? Nicest people? Weather? Best prospects for future job growth and development?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
I can't comment on Fayetteville or Greenville.

But between Chattanooga and Knoxville, I'm more inclined to choose Chattanooga. Especially if I'm going to live in or near DT area. I love Rock City/Ruby Falls, the waterfront is lovely and the amenities are neat. They have a huge aquarium that's better than Seattle's. The fact that it's between Nashville and Atlanta gives it a huge edge, it's easier to get to the big city (and their options & amenities) plus better airport options. Of course, TN has no state income tax.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Thanks Inkpoe. Would you say Chattanooga immediate surroundings is overall prettier than Knoxville? I'm thinking Chatty might have the most scenic immediate surroundings of all four? Although all are close to nice scenery (Knoxville close to Smokies, Greenville close to Asheville area, Fayetteville AR close to Ozarks, Chatty close to Mnts).

I would love to hear more opinions on Greenville vs. Chatty. They seem fairly similar in size of metro areas, median house prices, demographics, both have nationally recognized redeveloped down towns, both have auto related industries, both are close to the mountains, both have similar weather (I think Greenville is slightly warmer), both have minor league baseball teams, etc...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Chatt has small mountains right in town and medium mountains an hour or so away. The tallest peak is in N GA. Greenville has medium mountains starting 3/4 hour away. Knoxville has the tallest (and IMO best) mountains 1 hr+ away - 1 1/2 hr to get to the peaks. Knoxville has some amaizng views if you are at the right place.

Chattanooga is rather tourist oriented. Greenville business oriented. I personally prefer the waterfall in DT Greenville to Chatt waterfront but personal opinions will vary.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Creeksitter have you been to the Fayetteville/NW Arkansas area? I'm curious to how this would compare and contrast to the others. And if not, why.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:40 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks Inkpoe. Would you say Chattanooga immediate surroundings is overall prettier than Knoxville? I'm thinking Chatty might have the most scenic immediate surroundings of all four? Although all are close to nice scenery (Knoxville close to Smokies, Greenville close to Asheville area, Fayetteville AR close to Ozarks, Chatty close to Mnts).
With regards to scenery, I would say it's mostly equal.

You should come for a visit, and visit both towns (plus Greenville) and they're all only a couple hours apart.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 AM

Hi Inkpoe, I have been to Greenville and was impressed with what they did with their downtown. I was impressed that Greenville had a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Apple Store. For someone from the west coast Greenville and Chatty are totally off the radar, people barely know they exist.

The poll is showing no love for college towns and SEC college sports hotbeds of Fayetteville/NW Arkansas and Knoxville. I would enjoy attending college sports in these towns if I lived there.

I have only been to 1 out of these 4 towns in the poll (Greenville). Chatty, Knoxville and Fayetteville are on my list to visit.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 25,372 times
Greenville, SC has the best downtown on that list and it's not even close. Having big time college sports in Fayetteville and Knoxville is nice, but you aren't too far from Charlotte or Atlanta in Greenville, and you have pro sports there. Knoxville is decently close to Nashville which is a plus, but I found the city to be too industrial looking for my tastes. I almost went to UT for college, but Knoxville just wasn't clean/progressive enough for me.

My vote goes to Greenville, SC.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh293 View Post
Greenville, SC has the best downtown on that list and it's not even close. Having big time college sports in Fayetteville and Knoxville is nice, but you aren't too far from Charlotte or Atlanta in Greenville, and you have pro sports there. Knoxville is decently close to Nashville which is a plus, but I found the city to be too industrial looking for my tastes. I almost went to UT for college, but Knoxville just wasn't clean/progressive enough for me.

My vote goes to Greenville, SC.
I think Chattanooga's downtown--more specifically, their riverfront--comes pretty close.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 PM

Also I just remembered Clemson is only 45 minutes from Greenville. That is close enough to take in some ACC hoops and football! 2 hrs is usually too far for me to attend sporting events. But 45 min I could do. It's nice if it's 10 min away, but 45 min do-able.

How would someone familiar with both Fayetteville and Chatty compare the scenery close to both towns? Fayetteville has the Ozarks right there very close (I believe closer than the Smokies are to Knoxville or Apps are to Greenville). I have been a ton of places but have yet to set foot in the Ozarks. We need a Arkansas homer to get on this thread and stand up for NW Arkansas a little bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City