Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM

152 posts, read 322,374 times

Advertisements

Downtown Greenville, North Greenville, South Greenville, Eastside Greenville, or Westside Greenville.

Go ahead. Lets have a lively debate on the greatest places in the South to live, rank the above 5!!!

C'mon guys, it was just a joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
I've always heard that about people from your end. This is ironic.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Haha, you mean about Charleston? Well.........you gotta understand Charleston. And by that, I mean TRUE Charlestonians, who own homes over 1 million dollars, and are better than everyone in the world. NOT "foreign" Charleston, the few hundred thousand who moved here, and are just normal folks who love the ocean.

The true Charleston elite are so snooty and above the fray, it's hard to describe. But just like Greenville, no one should let the bad image of a few groups to spoil a city's reputation. I visited Greenville for a week a couple years ago, and me and the GF have gone back a few weekends to visit. Its a great escape from the coast. We like to see mountains and fresh water stuff. The downtown is fun, FAR less touristy than Charlestons and less crowded too. We prefer living on the coast, but Gville is a great spot.

But you're right, there are definitely the steretypical elitists from both cities, and they're fun to make fun of.

So...should I rephrase the question???

What is the greatest city in the universe?

- Greenville
- Charleston
- Neither, one so great they overshadow the other thus eliminating any chance at a mulitple choice

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Lol, funny but true brother.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM

There was a great article today in the Charleston paper. It discussed how Michelin is building a new huge plant in Anderson, SC, and how big of an economic presence that company has in the upstate. Their CEO, or some big wig with them, was talking about how they originally located upstate, and continue to expand up there, in large part due to the access they have to the Charleston Port, and how SC is the nation's leading tire exporter now, and all that natural rubber comes in through Charleston from China, and then they build tires to send back out the same port.

Anyway.....there are some in Gville and Charleston that should realize the two cities benefit from each other (as well as Columbia and Charlotte) and the region can grow and prosper together. Charleston may be the city that has by far the most history and long term contribution to the state, but now Charleston's continued big growth is often fueld by the midlands and upstate sending products through that port. Otherwise, it would be an import only port. Historically, a lot of the trade that originally fueled Charleston's economy was agriculture and animal hides brought down from the rest of the state to sell to traders in Charleston.

I'm a native upstater, and while I love Charleston, I also like to remind the Charlestonians that the upstate has made big contributions to this state. Not to mention having the best high school football in the whole state!!!!!!! (Gaffney High alumni, Class of '93)

Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
There was a great article today in the Charleston paper. It discussed how Michelin is building a new huge plant in Anderson, SC, and how big of an economic presence that company has in the upstate. Their CEO, or some big wig with them, was talking about how they originally located upstate, and continue to expand up there, in large part due to the access they have to the Charleston Port, and how SC is the nation's leading tire exporter now, and all that natural rubber comes in through Charleston from China, and then they build tires to send back out the same port.

Anyway.....there are some in Gville and Charleston that should realize the two cities benefit from each other (as well as Columbia and Charlotte) and the region can grow and prosper together. Charleston may be the city that has by far the most history and long term contribution to the state, but now Charleston's continued big growth is often fueld by the midlands and upstate sending products through that port. Otherwise, it would be an import only port. Historically, a lot of the trade that originally fueled Charleston's economy was agriculture and animal hides brought down from the rest of the state to sell to traders in Charleston.

I'm a native upstater, and while I love Charleston, I also like to remind the Charlestonians that the upstate has made big contributions to this state. Not to mention having the best high school football in the whole state!!!!!!! (Gaffney High alumni, Class of '93)
100% true. While NC may not like it, a lot of folks in Charlotte use Charleston's port access as a selling point for recruiting new business. Meck County does not have the land for a huge plant, but nearby counties do. The new intermodal yard at Charlotte Douglas may do well to link into the port, I am assuming it does.

It almost seems like a large triangle from Charleston through Columbia to Charlotte, over to Greenville, back through Columbia and into Charleston. All cities could benefit by working together instead of working against each other.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM

I agree with you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina