Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

When descending into a city in flight, which city has the best view from the window seat? What are the highlights that stand out in the view from flight?

My favorites.....

Chicago: I was lucky enough to descend into the city at sunset/dusk when the skyline was starting to illuminate, all the gridded streets lit up, and view the contrast of Lake Michigan adjacent to the urban landscape. Quite the spectacle.

Seattle: Looking down at the ithsmus between two bodies of water, the green forested urban landscape, surrounded by the volcanic snowcapped mountain peaks of the Cascades and Olympic Mountain Range is absolutely stunning.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-07-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
San Diego, sitting on the left: Seemingly endless brown deserts (unless you are flying N/S on the coast), merging to purple mountains and valleys, suburbia, bay and ocean just visible in the distance, larger buildings popping up, sky scrapers just out the window- WE'RE GONNA CRASH INTO THE SIDE OF A BUILDING AND ALL DIE!- and, touchdown.

"Welcome to San Diego, the weather is sunny and clear, with some clouds and 74 degrees"

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Boston: Because I'm home.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Best view from the Beach

747 Landing - St.Maarten - YouTube

Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I took this on a flight from DC to Boston. Not really decending, but it was a morning flight (sun to back), clear day and so I sat on the left side of the plane just in case and kept my SLR with me in my seat. Ended up getting a nice shot.

Other than that, flying to Chicago Midway is always a good view of the skyline, especially in late evening.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I took this on a flight from DC to Boston. Not really decending, but it was a morning flight (sun to back), clear day and so I sat on the left side of the plane just in case and kept my SLR with me in my seat. Ended up getting a nice shot.

Other than that, flying to Chicago Midway is always a good view of the skyline, especially in late evening.
That is just phenominal and breathtaking. How lucky are you to have all the right conditions and angles to get that shot?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:

I get many great views of manhattan on morning flights especially from Philly to Boston, you are still climbing out of 10K feet after taking off from Philly at Manhattan, sadly I saw the WTC's about 30 minutes before they were hit on a flight to Boston (which the day was a clear as it it gets) and that horrible day.

Great image though, love the starkness of Central park in the image. Also this pretty recent, you can see the new Freedom tower in lower Manhattan

Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 85,096 times
Quote:

Ahhh ... Manhattan. Unbelievable shot!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Saint Maarten is the best.

But I love Los Angeles when decending.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I get many great views of manhattan on morning flights especially from Philly to Boston, you are still climbing out of 10K feet after taking off from Philly at Manhattan, sadly I saw the WTC's about 30 minutes before they were hit on a flight to Boston (which the day was a clear as it it gets) and that horrible day.

Great image though, love the starkness of Central park in the image. Also this pretty recent, you can see the new Freedom tower in lower Manhattan
Yea, I'm sure. Although, I think you have to be at 37000 feet to get most of manhattan/central park, brooklyn and jersey city in one shot.

But flying lower over manhattan would be pretty cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City