Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 34,632 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to make a decision for my future. I'm a US citizen with permanent residence status in Canada.I currently live and work in Atlanta. I've lived in Toronto for over 2 years with my wife. Currently we have a 3 year old and I'm trying to decide which city is better for us as a family. Now having a family I see how important it is to keep the cost of healthcare down. My wife mentions that that opportunities for our child in the USA is vastly better. Meaning the Universities and future opportunities for work. The cost of real-estate in Toronto is even higher than when we were living there.
I know the two cities are difficult to compare but look at this from a mid 30's professional male with a mixed family. I loved Toronto multi-culturalism, safety, urban environment, lakeshore, Summer weather and open society. I also love Atlanta's strong history, culture, winter weather, beautiful suburban neighborhoods etc..
Tell me your thoughts and has anyone lived in similar cities Chicago, Atlanta, New York Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:39 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
I think Toronto's an awesome city, but given the attributes of both, especially those you listed, the decision for me would come down to weather and CoL...which Atlanta trumps T-dot in

Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
If I could move to Toronto I would have yesterday. Universities might be ranked slightly higher in the US, but you'll be guaranteeing your child hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, expensive health care, etc. Living in the US is insanely expensive I've noticed after living abroad. And the way the country is going, be worried about child as a minority. Depending on how the supreme court rules, your child might be gay and be treated like a second class citizen. If the child is a girl, she might have a hard time making what her male colleagues will, and she'll be disallowed from making personal choices about her own body.

To me, Canada fits my political beliefs much better. I can't stand the way this country is going, and the first chance I get to leave, I will. There are so many better places to raise children nowadays, it's honestly quite depressing.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If I could move to Toronto I would have yesterday. Universities might be ranked slightly higher in the US, but you'll be guaranteeing your child hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, expensive health care, etc. Living in the US is insanely expensive I've noticed after living abroad. And the way the country is going, be worried about child as a minority. Depending on how the supreme court rules, your child might be gay and be treated like a second class citizen. If the child is a girl, she might have a hard time making what her male colleagues will, and she'll be disallowed from making personal choices about her own body.

To me, Canada fits my political beliefs much better. I can't stand the way this country is going, and the first chance I get to leave, I will. There are so many better places to raise children nowadays, it's honestly quite depressing.
I'd also move to Toronto in a heartbeat if I could. It's a great city. One thing that I find depressing about living in Georgia is the "guns everywhere" law (as its nicknamed). Basically, licensed gun owners are allowed to bring guns to most public places - including bars, restaurants, churches and non-secure areas of airports. Brilliant! This does not make me feel safer.

If a person has a well-paying job lined up, I think Toronto is the much better city. Also, if the OP is concerned about health care costs, Canada has national health care, so that's another plus.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I'd also move to Toronto in a heartbeat if I could. It's a great city. One thing that I find depressing about living in Georgia is the "guns everywhere" law (as its nicknamed). Basically, licensed gun owners are allowed to bring guns to most public places - including bars, restaurants, churches and non-secure areas of airports. Brilliant! This does not make me feel safer.

If a person has a well-paying job lined up, I think Toronto is the much better city. Also, if the OP is concerned about health care costs, Canada has national health care, so that's another plus.
Yeah honestly once I heard about that, I was entirely turned off from visiting/living in Atlanta. That actually scares me. Just think about all the drunk people you see fighting normally. Add legalized guns to that mix and it's a near death sentence.

Health care in Canada vs US is two entirely different games. One is ridiculed worldwide, the other is praised. Guess which?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah honestly once I heard about that, I was entirely turned off from visiting/living in Atlanta. That actually scares me. Just think about all the drunk people you see fighting normally. Add legalized guns to that mix and it's a near death sentence.

Health care in Canada vs US is two entirely different games. One is ridiculed worldwide, the other is praised. Guess which?
Right, guns & liquor - not a good combination.

National health care is a huge advantage in Canada. Health care in the U.S. is ridiculously expensive - and the older you get, the more cost prohibitive it becomes to pay for health insurance. And, btw, the Affordable Health Care act is not so affordable.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM

And student loan debt is out of control right now. Totally unsustainable and a horrible burden that my generation's parents put on us. Our parents tell us how it took them like 10-20 years to pay back loans sometimes. And education was like 1/4 of the price then. As you see by my location, I'm in Louisville for school. Trust me, I wouldn't be there is student loans weren't so burdensome and I could have been in a better city for the same price. Schools aren't cheap in Canada compared to Europe, but they're a bargain compared to the US. I hope to one day live in Canada or some other country and give my children a better chance at not having the debt I will have.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
People here acting like everyone here has a gun attached to their waist. Give me a break. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone with a gun attached to their waist here in Atlanta. It's very rare. You'll see that more in the exurbs 25-30 miles away from the city center, but not in Atlanta itself.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny23 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to make a decision for my future. I'm a US citizen with permanent residence status in Canada.I currently live and work in Atlanta. I've lived in Toronto for over 2 years with my wife. Currently we have a 3 year old and I'm trying to decide which city is better for us as a family. Now having a family I see how important it is to keep the cost of healthcare down. My wife mentions that that opportunities for our child in the USA is vastly better. Meaning the Universities and future opportunities for work. The cost of real-estate in Toronto is even higher than when we were living there.
I know the two cities are difficult to compare but look at this from a mid 30's professional male with a mixed family. I loved Toronto multi-culturalism, safety, urban environment, lakeshore, Summer weather and open society. I also love Atlanta's strong history, culture, winter weather, beautiful suburban neighborhoods etc..
Tell me your thoughts and has anyone lived in similar cities Chicago, Atlanta, New York Toronto.
This isn't a real City vs. City but a issue of Quality of Life regarding your 3 year old. Was he born in the US? If so he has citizenship and could always return. Go raise your child in a sane nation and that would be Canada.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People here acting like everyone here has a gun attached to their waist. Give me a break. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone with a gun attached to their waist here in Atlanta. It's very rare. You'll see that more in the exurbs 25-30 miles away from the city center, but not in Atlanta itself.
That's true - it is very rare to see. Still a dumb law that invites trouble, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City