Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I'll be the first to admit that downtown Seattle is more desirable, but remember that I do live here, and I know how tiny Pikes place market is, you can't pull the wool over my eyes Gatz.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's tiny, given the 200+ retail spaces/eateries. But to each is own, good sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 12:43 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
The revitalization got off to a late start in comparison to sea, duh. Id say its about 10-15 years behind.

The fact its already adding a dozen 40-50 floor residential towers says alot.

Its a sleeping giant.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
The revitalization got off to a late start in comparison to sea, duh. Id say its about 10-15 years behind.

Its a sleeping giant.
There's nothing to argue about the desirability and better quality retail Seattle has over LA, I don't understand what your point is

Old 07-20-2016, 12:49 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
Quote:

Its a sleeping giant.
I mean, no one considers LA "sleeping." Plus the developments going up along Figueroa (especially near LA Live) are going to really change the feel of LA's primary events district.

Oceanwide Plaza is one of the snazzier developments under construction:
Oceanwide Plaza - The Agency

Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
There's nothing to argue about the desirability and better quality retail Seattle has over LA, I don't understand what your point is
For downtown. Not the rest of the city.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I mean, no one considers LA "sleeping." Plus the developments going up along Figueroa (especially near LA Live) are going to really change the feel of LA's primary events district.

Oceanwide Plaza is one of the snazzier developments under construction:
Oceanwide Plaza - The Agency
I said its barely waking up after being in a coma from the 1950s to 2007 or so.

Its really jusy getting going.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
Quote:
For downtown. Not the rest of the city.
As far as core to core comparison it will be a very long time before LA's core ever becomes as desirable as Seattle's, that's decades away if it ever even happens.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:18 AM

I always said it was s city wide thing.
i disagree on the decades thing too.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 AM

429 posts, read 479,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Seattle isnt the only city on there with growth.
No, but it's seen more growth in a relatively small area than any other city in the country since 2010.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:13 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Exactly. And that's why it lacks the crowds that large-scale retail brings. That's what I'm talking about about peak urbanity. The Pike Place Market and the clearly named Retail District in Downtown Seattle are types that don't exist in DTLA.

I saw the thrift shop area, the Fashion District, the the new rotunda retail thing on Fig, Macy's, and basically every other street. These ranged from places that might be busy at lunch but weren't when I was there (rotunda) to dead zones (LA Live was pretty desolate during a weekday lunch) to moderately busy but not bustling (Fashion District) to pretty bustling (thrift shop area). LA has some catching up to do, unless you want a $49 suit.

Nor is it particularly touristy. Various LA forums talk about that a lot (as they do retail, the lack of office construction, etc.). I didn't go into the Broad so maybe that's the big hotspot. But there's no waterfront, the thrift shop area doesn't appear to be touristy, and I'm really not thinking of an area with many visitors unless they're at a convention. So DTLA is also lacking that source of urbanity. Tourists can mean throngs of tourists, and ideally throngs of people who are a mix doing different things. DTLA lacks that dynamic.
How does that fit into your narrative? There are certainly places that get crowded such as Santee Alley. LA doesn't have that much in high end retail, but that is changing. DTLA doesn't get throngs of the tourist the way NYC or DC does, though you certainly see some since someone has to be renting all the hotel rooms downtown, but I don't really recall being overwhelmed by tourists in downtown Seattle either. DTLA does get a lot of people coming in from the rest of the city and metro to do things though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City