Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 07:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,252 times

Advertisements

Of course it matters.
it makes a area less walkable.

When i was looking for apts in rogers park in chicago i found a big place but it was in a weird location. Very residential.
A decent walk to commercial strips.
i turned it down.

Theres also less foot traffic in those quiet rowhouse areas.
Ch seems very quiet for a urban neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I kinda get what he's saying. Much of Capitol Hill does have a more relaxed/languid feel to it with less mixed-use than the core areas of Northwest DC. There's a very noticeable lack of pace on Capitol Hill compared to, say, 14th Street in Columbia Heights or U Street.
It doesn't matter Capitol Hill is still "more urban" than neighborhoods in 90 percent of American cities. Only a fool would say it's not urban. It's practically wall to wall row homes from corner to corner with (some) mix used apartments, and more in the pipeline. But more laid back than other hoods of DC, yes.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM

^
Yea right.
Its not quiet for dc. Its quiet, period.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
^
Yea right.
Its not quiet for dc. Its quiet, period.
I missed your point.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:02 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,846 times
Quote:
I kinda get what he's saying. Much of Capitol Hill does have a more relaxed/languid feel to it with less mixed-use than the core areas of Northwest DC. There's a very noticeable lack of pace on Capitol Hill compared to, say, 14th Street in Columbia Heights or U Street.
We can compare/contrast the gradient of neighborhoods all day and all night for their urbanity, can't we?. Capitol Hill is still an urban, walkable neighborhood.

Not that Walkscore is the ultimate authority on walkable neighborhoods, but it ranks it as a very walkable neighborhood with excellent public transportation and a biker's paradise. And until someone or organization comes up with a better algorithm, it has merit (moreso than people's subjective viewpoint as well). Walkscore lists 285 restaurants, bars, and shops in Capitol Hill, and people there can walk to an average of 9 restaurants, bars, and coffee shops in 5 minutes.

https://www.walkscore.com/DC/Washing..../Capitol_Hill

In addition to what Walkscore thinks, Stanton Park is a 10-minute walk from the H Street corridor, a 10-minute
walk to the commercial activity on Pennsylvania Ave SE, and a 9-minute walk to Union Station.

Capitol Hill also includes the strip of restaurants adjacent to Stanton Park on Massachusetts Ave, Eastern Market, and the commercial corridor along 8th Street SE.

http://www.barracksrow.org/index.php...e-row/map.html

Additionally, more dense development (residential, retail, and office) is coming to Capitol Hill and Hill East:

The 1,267 Units Headed for Capitol Hill and Hill East

Residential densities of census tracts in Capitol Hill are headed to +/- 30,000 people per square mile (by 2020). The neighborhood is not stagnant in growth.

Last edited by revitalizer; 07-19-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle is 2/3 single-family by land area, but majority-multifamily by unit type.

LA can be called more urban if you mean geographic extent of truly urban areas. But I don't think its peak areas are as urban as Seattle's, and its downtown isn't quite on the same level. Though DTLA is booming, Seattle is booming faster and widening the gap.
I think you should post some stats showing what you're calling downtown for each because DTLA certainly seems far more developed and busy than downtown Seattle.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
I lived on third and constitution right by The Supreme Court. The area gets extremely quiet at night, understandably, and Pennsylvania ave SE has almost a main street USA feel to me. It's a walkable drag with pubs, storefronts, dry cleaners etc. Overall Capitol Hill is a quiet residential neighborhood with tree lined streets and cute rowhomes. Besides Pennsylvania ave there is not a ton of pedestrian traffic and you would never guess you were in the most politically important city in the western world if you didn't venture by the capitol building or other government landmarks. I'm not saying it's suburban but it's far from a concrete jungle.

If people don't agree that's fine, it's just my opinion.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you should post some stats showing what you're calling downtown for each because DTLA certainly seems far more developed and busy than downtown Seattle.
That sea times pic wasnt convincing either.
how is that more dense than westlake/pico union?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I lived on third and constitution right by The Supreme Court. The area gets extremely quiet at night, understandably, and Pennsylvania ave SE has almost a main street USA feel to me. It's a walkable drag with pubs, storefronts, dry cleaners etc. Overall Capitol Hill is a quiet residential neighborhood with tree lined streets and cute rowhomes. Besides Pennsylvania ave there is not a ton of pedestrian traffic and you would never guess you were in the most politically important city in the western world if you didn't venture by the capitol building or other government landmarks.

If people don't agree that's fine, it's just my opinion.

Its true. Just a couple blocks away from the capitol is pretty acurate. Im also surprised when i go by there.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Of course it matters.
it makes a area less walkable.

When i was looking for apts in rogers park in chicago i found a big place but it was in a weird location. Very residential.
A decent walk to commercial strips.
i turned it down.

Theres also less foot traffic in those quiet rowhouse areas.
Ch seems very quiet for a urban neighborhood.
DUDE. Freddy. You live in LA. Stop judging other cities due to how "unwalkable" they are. You literally live in the city that is the poster face of car culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City