Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyK1 View Post
Dupont Circle is not as busy on the weekends as dwtwn SM.
Dupont Circle is not a touristy area. South Beach is WAY busier than the West Village on the weekends. That doesn't make it more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Dupont Circle is not a touristy area. South Beach is WAY busier than the West Village on the weekends. That doesn't make it more urban.
Except for the dead of winter, when West Village dies down dramatically and South Beach is hitting peak tourist season, or when there is a specific large event at South Beach, it's unlikely South Beach is actually going to have more people within its borders or on its streets. Right?

I think the busy-ness of the streets if it's consistent can count towards a place being more urban. It at the very least can be related through the foot traffic allowing for a greater density of retail businesses to survive. The only issue is if that tourism component is so overwhelming that it crowds out the existence of other non tourist oriented businesses such that it actually makes urban living worse for the residents.

Want to add that South Beach is very much an urban neighborhood.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-27-2016 at 05:32 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Except for the dead of winter, when West Village dies down dramatically and South Beach is hitting peak tourist season, or when there is a specific large event at South Beach, it's unlikely South Beach is actually going to have more people within its borders or on its streets. Right?
No. South Beach is THE main draw of South Florida and it's where most tourists go. On a typical Friday night or Saturday afternoon, there will not only be heavy pedestrian traffic on Ocean Drive, but also decent amounts of pedestrian traffic on side streets and heavy volumes along Collins, Washington, etc. Not to mention motorcycle traffic, scooter traffic, exotic car traffic, drunk people in the middle of the street traffic, etc. It's a party, scene-to-be-seen area so it is naturally going to be busier than the typical urban residential neighborhood.

Quote:
Want to add that South Beach is very much an urban neighborhood.
It is. But it's busy-ness doesn't make it more urban than Dupont Circle or the Village. It is a tourist mecca that people flock to for the express purpose of walking around to be seen.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I think the busy-ness of the streets if it's consistent can count towards a place being more urban. It at the very least can be related through the foot traffic allowing for a greater density of retail businesses to survive. The only issue is if that tourism component is so overwhelming that it crowds out the existence of other non tourist oriented businesses such that it actually makes urban living worse for the residents.
That is why I posted those transit/walking stats earlier. In non-touristy residential areas, pedestrian volume is by far its highest during rush hour, and since transit riders (in urban cores) are by definition pedestrians for at least part of their commute, it gives us some indication of how busy these cores are.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
I'm not sure the premise is true. Dupont Circle, to me, seems busier than Santa Monica, except possibly RIGHT on the few blocks of the 3rd Street Promenade, and even there, I don't think it's generally busier than Connecticut Ave, except maybe on weekends around dinnertime.

Connecticut Ave. is a very busy seven-day corridor and the Metro station delivers pretty intense crowds. 3rd Street in Santa Monica is pretty quiet during the day.

And the West Village almost certainly has heavier pedestrian traffic than South Beach, unless we're only talking the far West Village, which is entirely residential, and comparing only to Ocean Drive/Collins Ave.

South Beach isn't that busy except at night, and pretty much only along Ocean/Collins/Lincoln. Every major north-south street is busy day-and-night in the West Village.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
OK, let the record show that FreddyK1 is obviously the banned or suspended former FreddyK, and that 100% of FreddyK1's posts will be utter nonsense (see all posts on Santa Monica and Long Beach on previous page).

Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
No. South Beach is THE main draw of South Florida and it's where most tourists go. On a typical Friday night or Saturday afternoon, there will not only be heavy pedestrian traffic on Ocean Drive, but also decent amounts of pedestrian traffic on side streets and heavy volumes along Collins, Washington, etc. Not to mention motorcycle traffic, scooter traffic, exotic car traffic, drunk people in the middle of the street traffic, etc. It's a party, scene-to-be-seen area so it is naturally going to be busier than the typical urban residential neighborhood.

It is. But it's busy-ness doesn't make it more urban than Dupont Circle or the Village. It is a tourist mecca that people flock to for the express purpose of walking around to be seen.
West Village is certainly not a typical urban residential neighborhood. Aside from the high residential density, there are also a number of companies located within or adjacent to the West Village and a very substantial number of tourists.

The most urban part of Santa Monica is similar to the West Village in that sense but not to as great of a scale.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 AM

72 posts, read 63,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, let the record show that FreddyK1 is obviously the banned or suspended former FreddyK, and that 100% of FreddyK1's posts will be utter nonsense (see all posts on Santa Monica and Long Beach on previous page).
I assumed you would say that, being who you are.
I had a mix up with my password. Sorry to dissapoint the biggest liar on the forum.

I dont see anyone agreeing with your bs on Long Beach NY/SM comparison. You're biased, just admit it. Almost everything you say is wrong. It's really incredible.

Last edited by FreddyK1; 07-27-2016 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
What is with this forum? When did I say SM was more urban on the last page? I said it was more active.

It was more about responding to the usual garbage from NOLA, who doesnt seem to get anything and making false statements. AGAIN.

Last edited by FreddyK1; 07-27-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Suburbanites head to Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Adams Morgan/U St on the weekends.
There isnt alot of other places for them to go for fun, as I've pointed out before.

Same goes for tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City