Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 05:59 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

LA. I already live in DC and I'd like to try somewhere new - and it's a little small for my liking.

Rockford, IL or Peoria, IL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
LA. I already live in DC and I'd like to try somewhere new - and it's a little small for my liking.

Rockford, IL or Peoria, IL?
Rockford, IL

Better location IMO. Much closer to Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison. Closer to people I know in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Lincoln, NE or Little Rock, AR?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:39 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Rockford, IL

Better location IMO. Much closer to Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison. Closer to people I know in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Lincoln.... it has appeared near the top of at least one quality-of-life ranking (although offhand I don't recall the specifics; perhaps it was Money Magazine's list).

Eugene, Oregon or Olympia, Washington?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Olympia, Washington! There is a surreal beauty to Western Washington. In Olympia, you can own properties right on the water with views of Mt. Rainier. Although a small town, there are small city amenities and it is within driving distance of Seattle, a much more bustling and interesting city than Portland, OR in my opinion.

Brewseter, MA or Holden Beach, NC?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Olympia, Washington! There is a surreal beauty to Western Washington. In Olympia, you can own properties right on the water with views of Mt. Rainier. Although a small town, there are small city amenities and it is within driving distance of Seattle, a much more bustling and interesting city than Portland, OR in my opinion.

Brewseter, MA or Holden Beach, NC?
I could go for either. I think as of right now while I'm working and raising young children I would pick Brewseter, MA. When I retire and plan to live out my days on a boat I'd go with Holden Beach for the warmer weather.

So sorry for forgetting to list cities last time!

New Orleans, LA or Miami, FL. Caveat, the year is 2100.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I could go for either. I think as of right now while I'm working and raising young children I would pick Brewseter, MA. When I retire and plan to live out my days on a boat I'd go with Holden Beach for the warmer weather.

So sorry for forgetting to list cities last time!

New Orleans, LA or Miami, FL. Caveat, the year is 2100.
Miami by default because the Mississippi, Lake Ponchartrain and Gulf of Mexico together will have overrun New Orleans by then, levees or no levees.

On second thought, New Orleans, because they might be able to take a page from the Dutch down there. Miami will have no such luck.

This may be a repeat, and apologies if it is, but I'm curious because I definitely have an answer to this one that I suspect may represent a minority preference:

Seattle or San Francisco?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Miami by default because the Mississippi, Lake Ponchartrain and Gulf of Mexico together will have overrun New Orleans by then, levees or no levees.

This may be a repeat, and apologies if it is, but I'm curious because I definitely have an answer to this one that I suspect may represent a minority preference:

Seattle or San Francisco?
Seattle... Not a fan of the climate but I think quality of life would be higher there for my young family granted we aren't millionaires.

Fort Wayne, IN or Des Moines, IA?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:56 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Seattle... Not a fan of the climate but I think quality of life would be higher there for my young family granted we aren't millionaires.

Fort Wayne, IN or Des Moines, IA?
Des Moines, IA, a fine (and to date off the radar) city in a very fine state. I rode RAGBRAI one year and fell in love with Iowa.

https://ragbrai.com

I gotta say, I love how everyone participating in this thread is respectful of others' choices. That's pretty rare on CD!

Clayton, MO or Bellevue, WA?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Bellevue. You can't really go wrong with developed, vertical inner suburbs with a lot going on, but Seattle's a much better place for my industry.

Oklahoma City or El Paso, TX?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Rockford, IL

Maybe Rockford now - but 40 years ago? Nuh-uh.

My BIL worked for the Illinois Bureau of Investigation as a Forensic scientist.

You just don't wanna know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City