Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM

306 posts, read 480,210 times

Advertisements

rbkchelsea is an obvious city vs city troll, best to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM

366 posts, read 404,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
rbkchelsea is an obvious city vs city troll, best to ignore.
Sure and you are a totally objective and unbiased poster not throwing a fit at every post that's not pro Chicago...lol.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 AM

366 posts, read 404,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
These days, NYC has two types of people: rich people, and people struggling to get by. Not a great breeding ground for creativity.
Lol and what about the creative middle class people that actually make something out of their life and earn the bucks to afford New York? Instead of any old wannabe that think they are an artist destined for success and live like crap because of their delusion? Chicago might have more of those, but that's hardly something to be proud of.

If anybody was seriously ignorant enough to not be aware, NYC's problem is the the lower class who barely make it, not the middle class and obviously not the upper class. Even the lower class situation is likely to be better now than before with things like minimum wage increased to $15 now I believe.

And in what universe was London the fashion and music capital? And lmao at the home of BBC and busiest airport.

Last edited by KaneKane; 08-22-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM

135 posts, read 175,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Lol and what about the creative middle class people that actually make something out of their life and earn the bucks to afford New York? Instead of any old wannabe that think they are an artist destined for success and live like crap because of their delusion? Chicago might have more of those, but that's hardly something to be proud of.

If anybody was seriously ignorant enough to not be aware, NYC's problem is the the lower class who barely make it, not the middle class and obviously not the upper class. Even the lower class situation is likely to be better now than before with things like minimum wage increased to $15 now I believe.

And in what universe was London the fashion and music capital? And lmao at the home of BBC and busiest airport.

What the **** are you talking about? If anything, NYC represents a microcosm of the country, and what ****ing middle class? There is no ****ing middle class.

In what universe is London not a music and fashion capital?

Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I'd say London is the center of the world. More history, number one place for fashion and music. The BBC, and the busiest airport in the world.

Chicago might not have as much going on, but it's a lot cheaper and a lot friendlier, and you don't feel packed like sardines all the time. These days, NYC has two types of people: rich people, and people struggling to get by. Not a great breeding ground for creativity.
NYC is actually the fashion capital of the world currently, out of the Big Four.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...M3Ejr_gfr4v5QQ

For music, you could reasonably argue Los Angeles or even Austin over London.

Los Angeles Is the Best City For Music. Period | L.A. Weekly

ARD in Germany is actually bigger than the BBC. And London has the busiest airport system in the world (with 6 airports vs NYCs 3), but the actual busiest single airport is Atlanta.

As far as creativity is concerned, it's really never the rich creating. Except for architecture and maybe paintings, struggling people are usually always the most creative. See the blues, hip hop, bachata, country music, etc.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
What the **** are you talking about? If anything, NYC represents a microcosm of the country, and what ****ing middle class? There is no ****ing middle class.

In what universe is London not a music and fashion capital?
The original poster said THE number one place for fashion and music, not simply a capital.

As far as the middle class, contrary to what you've read on this site, NYC does still have a middle class. Mainly in the outerboroughs, but they're still there even in Manhattan. It's a smaller middle class than anywhere else, sure, but it's been like that for decades. People have said the sky is falling on the middle class for over a 100 years. It hasn't.

"It is true that the middle class here is smaller than anywhere else in the country. It is true that price pressures from both real estate and the cost of living are not slowing down anytime soon. But it is also true that calamity has been forecast for over a century now."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...referrer=&_r=0

Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 AM

577 posts, read 670,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
NYC is actually the fashion capital of the world currently, out of the Big Four.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...M3Ejr_gfr4v5QQ

For music, you could reasonably argue Los Angeles or even Austin over London.

Los Angeles Is the Best City For Music. Period | L.A. Weekly

ARD in Germany is actually bigger than the BBC. And London has the busiest airport system in the world (with 6 airports vs NYCs 3), but the actual busiest single airport is Atlanta.

As far as creativity is concerned, it's really never the rich creating. Except for architecture and maybe paintings, struggling people are usually always the most creative. See the blues, hip hop, bachata, country music, etc.
I'm not sure that L.A. Weekly voting L.A. the best city for music is particularly credible. L.A. isn't even one of the best cities in the US for music. Sure, they have the big record companies and popular venues, but the genuinely good new bands are coming from places like Baltimore and Detroit. Plus there's competition from the likes of NY. But in the UK, bands all tend to end up in London so there's a high concentration of quality acts.

ARD might be "bigger" (whatever that means), but the BBC is the most well known broadcaster in the world. Nothing even comes close to the quality of BBC factual programming and the amount of content which is exported around the globe. Not to mention their national radio stations. BBC News alone has 24 million facebook likes (that's two and a half times that of Fox News). ARD has 150,000.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:10 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,973 times
So Baltimore & Detroit are better than Los Angeles in music lmao

Anything is possible on C-D & i mean anything lol

This Nyc vs Chicago thread is pointless because we know the outcome, London vs Ny would be better of course

Old 08-23-2015, 11:43 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Hey guys. I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

Which city do YOU think is better? This is just a general discussion, no specific reason.

I've spend more time in Chicago - I'm from Michigan. Chicago was like our pride that it is in the middle west. I always loved the club scene and the beaches, but super cold.

NYC - I've unfortunately only been a couple times. I liked it. It had a awesome club scene and a lot of things to do. BUT way more expensive than Chicago.

I've always had the thought to move to Chicago for law school after I graduate undergrad.
If you want hustle & bustle, constant energy and the feeling of being "at the center of it all" -- and can afford it -- NY.

If you prefer a city that is less intense, but one that might provide a better balance of great urban amenities and comfortable/affordable lifestyle -- and dont mind brutal winters -- then Chicago.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM

135 posts, read 175,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The original poster said THE number one place for fashion and music, not simply a capital.

As far as the middle class, contrary to what you've read on this site, NYC does still have a middle class. Mainly in the outerboroughs, but they're still there even in Manhattan. It's a smaller middle class than anywhere else, sure, but it's been like that for decades. People have said the sky is falling on the middle class for over a 100 years. It hasn't.

"It is true that the middle class here is smaller than anywhere else in the country. It is true that price pressures from both real estate and the cost of living are not slowing down anytime soon. But it is also true that calamity has been forecast for over a century now."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...referrer=&_r=0

I don't need to read anything on here regarding NYC. Im from Upstate NY and have lived in NYC, so I have my own experiences to draw from.

The sky hasn't fallen on the middle class? I'd be more than glad to open a thread at the political forum and we can discuss how the sky has totally fallen on the middle class, especially since Reagan in the 80's. Probably the worst thing I've read on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City