Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Lol

You live vicariously through coders. They're doing stuff.
You're on city dsta.
He also gives coders way too much credit. Its not rocket science. If you're the kind of person who enjoys solving puzzles, you can learn to code. I've been doing it for 20 years. It can be challenging, but's fun and satisfying.

You know what is hard though? Entrepreneurship. Running your own business.

Running a digital agency and a startup is the most difficult thing I have ever done. Some days I wish had the luxury of letting someone else make all the tough decisions and taking on the risk while I kick back and write code. Sounds downright therapeutic.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 PM

317 posts, read 378,288 times
I thought the Chicago vs. San Diego thread the other the other day was bad. This easily tops it.

At least there were a few people over there trying to keep that thread civilized. This whole SF vs LA comparison may just be the most uncivilized one I've seen yet. Makes all those NYC vs Chicago ones I used to think were the worst look like nothing.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingHumanBeing View Post
Its my understanding that the financial sector in San Francisco was hit pretty hard by the recession, and that it was basically saved by San Jose due to the tech presence and proximity. Seems like revisionist history going on.
Oh it's your understanding is it?

Leland Stanford, San Francisco railroad baron, decided that he wanted to establish a premier private university on the West Coast, so he did just that, on his farm, in Palo Alto.

Decades later, Stanford students and faculty began dabbling in computer science and it was the financial backing and expertise of San Francisco investors that took the ideas and turned them into multi billion dollar corporations.

That's one the main components of Silicon Valley's success that has yet to be replicated anywhere else: Venture Capital.

SF brought that to the table, along with the creation of the University to rule all west coast schools.

This absurd notion that Silicon Valley suddenly sprang up solely from apple and orange orchards in the South Bay out of nowhere, is what jealous, anti-SF think, but in fact, SF birthed Silicon Valley from the very beginning.

The place would not have existed without San Francisco.

Now. Consider yourself informed.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-11-2015 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
He also gives coders way too much credit. Its not rocket science. If you're the kind of person who enjoys solving puzzles, you can learn to code. I've been doing it for 20 years. It can be challenging, but's fun and satisfying.

You know what is hard though? Entrepreneurship. Running your own business.

Running a digital agency and a startup is the most difficult thing I have ever done. Some days I wish had the luxury of letting someone else make all the tough decisions and taking on the risk while I kick back and write code. Sounds downright therapeutic.
No, it was Freddy K who first made this about programmers in his lame attempt to belittle them. I simply played along.

But speaking of entrepreneurs, I dont even have to say which area owns all the prestige around incubating start ups and taking new companies all the way to the stratosphere.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, it was Freddy K who first made this about programmers in his lame attempt to belittle them. I simply played along.

But speaking of entrepreneurs, I dont even have to say which area owns all the prestige around incubating start ups and taking new companies all the way to the stratosphere.
No.
You said we live through celebs.
You bragging about coders or whoever else but you're far worse.

I've never seen someone brag about something they're not a part of like you do. It's borderline insane.

You're the king of living through someone else's accomplishments.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I think it's obvious that LA is more prestigious. Chicago is somewhat overlooked for as big as it is. I personally prefer Chicago over LA. The only thing LA has over Chicago for me is the weather, but that's not enough.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 AM

No backtracking Freddy K. This is how programmers were introduced into this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I think alot of people respect and admire people in those fields because most know how damn difficult it is to make a career out of it.
The odds are like professional athletes. It take a certain courage to excel in it as opposed to just getting a degree in whatever.

Most people can't deal with or take the amount f failure and rejection.

And if you get a career, the world can see your work.

What exactly is prestigious about programmers or engineers?
And clearly you people DO live vicariously through these celebrities, your entire argument in this thread has been that LA is more prestigious due to the fact that celebrities are famous, which might be convincing to teenagers in Palmdale, but not really to many other people.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:25 AM

You can say whatever you want. The truth is you're far worse. By a long shot .
I don't have a disgusting need to mention hollywood accomplishments all the time.
People know what they are

You're obviously insecure of what the Bay area does.

I still don't know what is prestigous aboit those jobs. Like I said, i worked with and know tons.
All you do is throw up income. In that case, nba/nfl athletes are the most prestigious jobs in the world. League minniims are like 350k.
You said yourself there's millions of coders.
Yet, there's only a few thousand working writers in film and tv

I don't care what the income is. Going by odds, it's more difficult to be a writer. And to me that's more prestigious.
Tens f thousands people try every year across the globe, not many make it. It's nfl/nba odds.

Sorry.

You'll never comvince me otherwise. Degrees won't either. Schools just hand them out.

Last edited by Freddy K; 11-12-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 AM

And how many celebs have I brought up in this thread? How many times I've I used the word celebs?
Lol
You are a sad joke.

You think I'm always talking about celrbs, but I've mentioned cineamatoghers, writers, priducers etc.
I think their careers are harder to attain, more prestigious. You're the one who mentions income as if that's all that matters. That's your hang up. I don't care. I think there's more to it.

You're so insecure you automatically think I refer to celrbs. You're the one who brings up Kim k. I never did. Not once.
Nope.

Last edited by Freddy K; 11-12-2015 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Yawns....need some tissue? It sounds like your crying?

#ProgrammersRuleTheWorld
#NowYouKnow

Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City