Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the West
El Paso 0 0%
Tucson 1 0.65%
Tulsa 0 0%
Phoenix 38 24.84%
Las Vegas 15 9.80%
Oklahoma City 1 0.65%
Salt Lake City 1 0.65%
Denver 47 30.72%
Portland 7 4.58%
Sacramento 7 4.58%
Billings Montana 1 0.65%
Boise 3 1.96%
Albuquerque 2 1.31%
A Place Not Listed 0 0%
All these Cities Absolutely Suck 4 2.61%
San Diego 24 15.69%
Aspen Colorado 2 1.31%
Colorado Springs 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,896,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I think Phoenix and Denver are the two, so I agree with the poll thus far. Not sure about Denver but from my anecdotal experience Phoenix does have a global recognition even in third world countries. Not sure if Phoenix has an "influence" though so to speak. Phoenix's economy doesn't have any specialization or niches and I think that's what Phoenix needs to really bring up the influence. I think Phoenix could be more influential in terms of economics, very easily.

Really? for what?....people in Bangladesh know about Phoenix??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,896,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wayward Pines, ID
Uhhhh what. Is this suppose to be funny

Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Really? for what?....people in Bangladesh know about Phoenix??
In Cambodia... and in the very poor parts of Malaysia (so not Kuala Lumpur). They know it as a big city in the desert with all the cacti! Haha

Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
In Cambodia... and in the very poor parts of Malaysia (so not Kuala Lumpur). They know it as a big city in the desert with all the cacti! Haha
I had a simar experience in parts of South America they all knew what Phoenix was, or atleast that it was a big hot city with Cowboys and cacti

Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times
I find this third/developing world-wide PHX recognition to be shocking! I will say that PHX is definitely underrated (or not rated at all, really) on this subforum.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I had a simar experience in parts of South America they all knew what Phoenix was, or atleast that it was a big hot city with Cowboys and cacti
Yep! I heard all about the Wild West! This was coming from tribal villages in the island of Borneo who had no electricity... Not sure how they heard about it but they did some how!

Old 09-03-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I find this third/developing world-wide PHX recognition to be shocking! I will say that PHX is definitely underrated (or not rated at all, really) on this subforum.
If you read my other posts I am not a big Phoenix homer (would not even call myself a homer)... I try to be as realistic as possible. But on C-D and even outside of C-D it is very underrated. All of the good things about Phoenix are sort of hard to see which is good because it is keeping our COL manageable because we aren't becoming the new "fad" city to live in, one thing that Phoenix is doing stellar at. Phoenix might have the best COL out of all the major cities in this country, except for a few select places in Texas

Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,965 times
Unfortunately Phoenix doesn't have an Eiffel Tower, a Big Ben, or an Astro Dome to bolster its international image.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:26 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"its global air route network says so)'

What what what????? If you mean airport routes, than SD blows!!!!!!! Denver is FAR SUPERIOR to any other city mentioned for this stat!
Yes, Denver International Airport is more of an economic driver for Denver than is San Diego International Airport for San Diego.

A few key reasons for that; Denver International is United Airlines' hub (one of many), while San Diego International is an independent airport and doesn't have a hub airliner operating service there. It is like Boston in this regard, in fact, operates similarly to Boston's Logan International because it has the same restrictions (fewer runways (San Diego only has one)), close to the city CBD (so intervening flight paths), and the need to acquire foreign flag carriers (since its not a hub).

With that being said, San Diego International and Tijuana International, when put together offer as many routes, possibly more foreign ones, than Denver, Phoenix, and Portland. Tijuana International connects San Diego to every relevant place worth mentioning in Mexico (and then some) plus Shanghai. San Diego International itself has a respectable collection of foreign flag carriers for its size and service destinations.

In regards of where a city can freakin take me in the world, San Diego and Denver are more or less on par, depending on which region of service you prioritize, it can go either way.

SKYTRAX is considered one of the world's foremost authorities on ranking airports based of the quality of service and atmosphere it provides a customer. More user friendly and approachable airport employees and TSA along with beneficial amenities that speed up the process for fliers rank a city's airport well in the world. The ranking system is derived off stars, the highest is a 5-star airport, which America has none.

World Airport Quality Rating | SKYTRAX

4-Stars:
- Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport
- San Francisco International Airport

3-Stars:
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport
- Boston Logan International Airport
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport
- Houston George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Miami International Airport
- New York John Fitzgerald Kennedy International Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

Notice something? When it comes to quality customer experience, amenities, offerings, and services -- Denver, like San Diego, like Phoenix, and like Portland is not seen on the list. That is because all of these cities are more or less in the same general tier in regards to airport service destinations and amenities, Denver hasn't separated itself from the pack yet.

Yes, Denver International is impressive and I fully expect it to be a beast of an airport in regards to traffic statistics and hub activities for generations and years to come, but it still needs some more improvements, obviously.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,073,191 times
No, sd is not on par with DIA for where you can fly! Not even close. Your good at digging up stuff it appears. Dig up how many routes each offers and post it! Not even close!

As for the quality list. Hmm. I have read that list before. Not sure what criteria they use. But I have flown into Cincinnati and SFO before. In no way shape or form are they nicer or offer more than DIA. Not really sure how they come up with those ratings. But yes, I have read that the Cincy airport at least shows up on it quite often. Not sure why though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City