Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More enjoyable?
Dallas 68 51.52%
Pittsburgh 64 48.48%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:29 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Some people are scared of old buildings. They generally are they type who will only buy a newly constructed pre-fab house in a cookie cutter mass-produced suburban neighborhood. What a bland existence.

What snobbish attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 02:05 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
It depends on the individual and their preferences. Glancing through the comments, it's clear that many posters have never experienced BOTH cities and are relying on stereotypes.

For me, I find Dallas more fun for the day-to-day and weekend stuff throughout the year than Pittsburgh. If this was strictly based on "tourism," then I would've chosen Pittsburgh. But for everyday living, Dallas. I grew up in the Lehigh Valley region of PA (about an hour north of Philly) and have traveled a lot to Pittsburgh over the years. Despite the hot summers, I find myself outside in Dallas more than I ever did living in PA. I prefer a longer swim and cycling season with less rainy days and snow/ice, so TX works pretty well for me. I'm not a skier, so the close proximity of Seven Springs to Pittsburgh does nothing for me.

Dallas offers more nightlife options, especially for live music than Pittsburgh. There's also more major concerts and events that comes through Dallas than in Pittsburgh. Demographically, Dallas is more of a snapshot of the U.S. as a whole and than the demographics of Pgh. The sheer amount of transplants from all over in Dallas does make it pretty interesting.

The similarities -- Despite Pgh being an older and more urban city, it's actually more similar to Dallas than Philly in that most of its "vibrancy" is found in neighborhoods outside of Downtown. I had to underline that since reading comprehension on this forum is incredibly poor. This is especially true for nightlife. Ironically, I find DT Dallas better connected to Uptown & Deep Ellum (2 of the more vibrant areas in Dallas) than DT Pgh to Southside or Oakland. For all of the cons of being a "sunbelt" city, DT Dallas doesn't feel as disconnected from the rest of the city as DT Pgh does. If you're a visitor to Dallas or Pgh, you have to know where to look in BOTH cities. Their Downtowns are just one of many neighborhoods and not the be-all and end-all of their city.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:53 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
What snobbish attitude.

Ummm... its the opposite of snobbish. People who will only live in a brand new house in a brand new neighborhood are quite snobbish.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
Ummm... its the opposite of snobbish. People who will only live in a brand new house in a brand new neighborhood are quite snobbish.

I can't think of much that would be more snobbish than making assumptions of people who prefer or chose suburbia for whatever reason, dismissing it all as cookie cutter and finishing it off by calling their lives/existence bland.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Based on my experience, especially on CD, the most snobbish people are those who decide to live in urban cores and talk down to suburbanites because they prefer having a house and yard. I feel like I see many more "attacks" from urban residents to suburban residents, or their lifestyles, than the other way around.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Some people are scared of old buildings. They generally are they type who will only buy a newly constructed pre-fab house in a cookie cutter mass-produced suburban neighborhood. What a bland existence.
To be fair, newly constructed and "cookie cutter" does appear in urban form in many cities. It's definitely not limited to just suburbs.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And here we go...
Yeah. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I saw this comparison. It's sure to bring out the worst of CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City