Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lol Miami is dense but it's just as car cultured as the rest of the South. Miami is not nearly as urban as DC. Also, another poster on another board from Miami kindly squashes the notion on how Miami isn't as southern as you think. I'm sure you've read it. If I asked my family and friends in Dade what region they are from. They will say South.
Exactly. And I've said this before, but it needs to be repeated.

If the Everglades were not in the way and were not protected, SE Florida & SW Florida would be totally connected and paved over, developed and strip-malled out. The pushback against the growth boundary by developers in Dade, Broward & Palm Beach Counties has always been ceaseless, and always will be.

Bob continues to provide very inaccurate and 'extreme homer' points of view regarding Miami, across this and other forums. He also wishes to erase and rewrite the history of South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
lol miami is dense but it's just as car cultured as the rest of the south. Miami is not nearly as urban as dc. Also, another poster on another board from miami kindly squashes the notion on how miami isn't as southern as you think. I'm sure you've read it. If i asked my family and friends in dade what region they are from. They will say south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatl View Post
exactly. And i've said this before, but it needs to be repeated.

If the everglades were not in the way and were not protected, se florida & sw florida would be totally connected and paved over, developed and strip-malled out. The pushback against the growth boundary by developers in dade, broward & palm beach counties has always been ceaseless, and always will be.

Bob continues to provide very inaccurate and 'extreme homer' points of view regarding miami, across this and other forums. He also wishes to erase and rewrite the history of south florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
5. Dc
4. Miami
3. Dfw
2. Houston
1. Atlanta.
+1

Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
While I do think Dallas is the second most southern on this list, those two votes for it in the poll are suspect.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
While I do think Dallas is the second most southern on this list, those two votes for it in the poll are suspect.
The common consensus seems to be that Houston is more southern than Dallas. Having lived in both, I agree with that 100%.

What is the arguement that Dallas is more Southern than Houston?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
+1
Oops I was only replying to Spade comment.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The common consensus seems to be that Houston is more southern than Dallas. Having lived in both, I agree with that 100%.

What is the arguement that Dallas is more Southern than Houston?
1. DFW receives more transplants from the South. In fact, I'm sure it has the most ties to the South overall. Living in Atlanta, Dallas was almost always the city that came up in conversation or was compared to their own town. Houston is almost exclusively tied to the Gulf Coast corridor and seems to be the Texas city on the radar of most Floridians.
2. DFW is more Baptist.
3. DFW is more segregated.
4. DFW has more Waffle Houses.

As for the common consensus, I think that's largely based on the fact that Houston has more blacks, pine trees, and wetter weather but not much else.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
1. DFW receives more transplants from the South. In fact, I'm sure it has the most ties to the South overall. Living in Atlanta, Dallas was almost always the city that came up in conversation or was compared to their own town. Houston is almost exclusively tied to the Gulf Coast corridor and seems to be the Texas city on the radar of most Floridians.
2. DFW is more Baptist.
3. DFW is more segregated.
4. DFW has more Waffle Houses.
1) DFW also recieves more transplants from the Northeast, West Coast, and Midwest and everywhere else in the US.
2) DFW is a whopping 1.4% more Southern Baptist than Houston
3) When did segregation become a Southern thing? The most segregated region in the US is the Midwest followed by the Northeast
4) Im sorry, but that last one is dumb. DFW has more of every type of chain than Houston.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
5. Miami
4. DC
3. Dallas
2. Houston
1. Atlanta

Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
1) DFW also recieves more transplants from the Northeast, West Coast, and Midwest and everywhere else in the US.
2) DFW is a whopping 1.4% more Southern Baptist than Houston
3) When did segregation become a Southern thing? The most segregated region in the US is the Midwest followed by the Northeast
4) Im sorry, but that last one is dumb. DFW has more of every type of chain than Houston.
You asked the question and I answered accordingly.

My belief is that the prevalence of Waffle Houses can be credited to the culture of the area they are found in. South Florida has a slew of chains as well, but there are few WH to be found. Regardless, I find the regional cuisine of North Texas to be more typically southern. You'll find more fried chicken, grits, black eyed peas, etc. Houston, once again, is more Gulf specific.

Segregation is not an exclusively southern trait, but the racial friction that comes along with it is more commonly attributed to the South, and I think Dallas has historically had more of a problem with this. Even today, in both Dallas and Atlanta, you will witness more of a social divide between whites and blacks than you will see in Houston. This is mostly anecdotal, btw.

So what is your argument for Houston being more southern?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I'm thinking this is probably because both serve similar functions as transportation hubs, have similarly diverse economies, are huge inland cities, and have extensive rail systems (LRT for Dallas, HRT for Atlanta). So characteristically, Atlanta seems to have a bit more in common with Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City