Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Washington DC, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and Atlanta: Rank 1-5 Most-to-Least Southern

Each city will be assigned a number by every participant. No city will be assigned a number greater than 5 or a number less than 1. The city assigned the number 1 will be identified as the least Southern of the five cities, the city assigned 2 will be identified as the second least Southern city, the city assigned 3 will teether in-between the five cities as a mild case for most or least Southern could be made and applied to it. The city assigned 4 will be identified as the second most Southern (or fourth least if you're looking at it that way), and the city assigned 5 will be identified as the distinctly most Southern of the group.

Some factors to keep in mind; culture, culinary offerings (distinctly Southern), topography and climate if it applies (forests, swamps, high-precipitation, hot and humid summers, specific Southern trees), location (what states surround the city's state, what influences it draws from surrounding states culturally, vice versa), history, habits and tendencies, and anything else you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
I started to try to do the 1-5 thing but I couldn't. As a West Coaster I don't really see any of them as classically Southern. I voted Atlanta just because it is in Georgia, the most Southern state of the group imo. I've always viewed Texas as Southwest and grouped Texas in with NM & AZ, not really with the more traditional South but more as part of the new South I guess. North Florida is more culturally Southern than South Florida, and Miami even less so. DC, I do feel somewhat of a Southern vibe there. And when I think of DC, the state I think of is Virginia for some reason and not Maryland. And Virginia is a traditionally Southern state. But the overall vibe of DC is definitely one of Northeastern politics to me, but that could just be because of my profession and experiences there.

Very interesting thread & choices for someone like me from the other side of the country and limited experience in the South.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:33 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Atlanta - 5

Houston - 4

Dallas - 3

Miami - 2

Washington - 1

In my opinion. I have lived in 4 of the 5 (Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Washington DC) and have seen and experienced all 5 of them (Atlanta recently).

Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Atlanta - 5

Houston - 4

Dallas - 3

Miami - 2

Washington - 1

In my opinion. I have lived in 4 of the 5 (Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Washington DC) and have seen and experienced all 5 of them (Atlanta recently).
That's quite close to the general consensus here, although Miami and DC could be switched.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Atlanta - 5 because unlike the other cities in this poll, it's in the middle of the Southern U.S. rather than a transitional region. It's where the Deep South, Upper South, and Piedmont South meet.

Houston - 4 because it's where the Gulf South, Western South, and Cajun South have a strong presence and influence.

Dallas - 3 Some elements of the South exist in some communities, but there is a more overt Midwestern/Great plains influence that dilutes it's southern heritage.

Miami - 2 Besides the more overt Latino influence, there is also a large presence of Northeastern U.S. and Caribbean influence that dilutes the Southern communities there, though they are there if you know where to look.

Washington - 1 Although there is Southern influence with a lot of the natives, the area has always been a transition zone between the North and South. Add the large number of transplants in the area, you really don't get a lot of 'Southern' culture until you get much farther out.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Atlanta - 5 because unlike the other cities in this poll, it's in the middle of the Southern U.S. rather than a transitional region. It's where the Deep South, Upper South, and Piedmont South meet.

Houston - 4 because it's where the Gulf South, Western South, and Cajun South have a strong presence and influence.

Dallas - 3 Some elements of the South exist in some communities, but there is a more overt Midwestern/Great plains influence that dilutes it's southern heritage.

Miami - 2 Besides the more overt Latino influence, there is also a large presence of Northeastern U.S. and Caribbean influence that dilutes the Southern communities there, though they are there if you know where to look.

Washington - 1 Although there is Southern influence with a lot of the natives, the area has always been a transition zone between the North and South. Add the large number of transplants in the area, you really don't get a lot of 'Southern' culture until you get much farther out.
I'd switch Miami and Washington. This is only because of Washington's far flung Virginia suburbs. Those in particular add a hint of southern flavor to the local culture that's all but completely missing in the Miami metro.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Houston
4. Miami
5. DC

Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post

I might switch Washington and Miami, but you nailed 3-5 for the same reasons I would give.

Atlanta is unquestionably the most Southern of the lot and Houston is definately more Southern than Dallas. But Miami and DC are kind of on the edge of the region and, while they have Southern elements, are less Southern than the others.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Lol Once again Atlanta.....I think Its Atlanta's marketing really. It's Moniker "Capital of the South", has it implanted into everybody's Head that when you hear SOUTH. Brain automatically thinks...oh atlanta ...That's why Im starting to think that Atlanta is always winning these southern treads

5 A Town
4 H Town
3 The Big D
2 DC
1 MIA

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 09-08-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
5. DC
4. Miami
3. DFW
2. Houston
1. Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City