Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Closest to matching Los Angeles and biggest challenger to Los Angeles in the future?
Chicago (Greater Chicago MSA/CSA) 35 22.29%
Toronto (the GTA/Golden Horseshoe Area) 21 13.38%
San Francisco (San Francisco Bay Area CSA) 80 50.96%
Washington D.C. (the DMV/Washington DC-Baltimore CSA) 21 13.38%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,982,289 times

Advertisements

Which of these 4 places can challenge Los Angeles the most? This is going off of the fact that Los Angeles is the second city on an overall basis between the United States and Canada after New York.

Chicago-Toronto-San Francisco-Washington D.C.

You can use city, MSA/CMA, CSA/Golden Horshoe, U.N. UA, so on. Compare them on which one is the closest to matching Los Angeles on an overall basis in as many facets as possible for cities to compare themselves with another city.

So things like diplomatic power and image, corporate power, influential leaders (can be political or private industry related), innovations, Nanotech, Biotech, General Medicine, college and university level, financial activities, tech industry, energy industry, influence upon governments of all levels (city -> county/borough -> state -> nationally), trade (shipping and trade), logistics and manufacturing, global connectives, brand creation and exportation and importation and infusion, real-estate market valuation, foreign investment and allure, tourism, media (of any kind), so on and so forth. You're free to add any additional categories, I'll leave that to others to do.

In addition to those aspects also compare them on city type of aspects in regards to the type of construction (and boom, if applies), office space expansion, food innovations, music innovations, festival-parade-event innovations and headliners, infill of residential, infrastructure at all levels (roads, rail transportation, others).

Once done with that then compare them on environments, as to what sort of people migrate to these places and which ones are closest to matching Los Angeles' vast diversity and diaspora of people. In this regard you can look to things like racial and ethnic diversity, languages that have influence over an area, social connections with overseas places, how hospitable an environment is for people of all backgrounds (this includes LGBT as well).

Other than that, if you want to you can compare them on what their popular image is like, what sort of nightlife each one has and which one comes closest to matching Los Angeles there, so on. You can compare them on architecture, shopping, urban environments, touristy amenities, general population amenities, climate, topography, wine countries, suburbs here but more emphasis to all the points ahead of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,807 times
clearly SF

Toronto is in a different country so a bit different

Old 07-24-2015, 04:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,408,589 times
The question should be reverted to "Which city/MSA/CSA can challenge the Bay Area outside of NYC".

Old 07-24-2015, 04:48 PM

The Chicago metropolitan area (and Chicago in general for all measures) has been in the United States Top 3 from 1870 and will resume 5 more years in that space before finally being knocked down to 4th. That will end 150 years of Chicago being a Top 3 place in every measure for the first time, thus ending the popularly assumed "Big 3 Era" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago) of current and "Big 3 Era" of historical times (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia), which had already ended several decades to over half-a-century back when Los Angeles effectively replaced Philadelphia in the Big 3.

I think most people on the forum see the writing on the wall, that 3rd is foggy and possibly open for grabs right now. I've seen some scholars actually begin suggesting that even 2nd is open for discussion, particularly with the surge of the Silicon Valley related tech boom in the San Francisco Bay Area. People like Wendell Cox, Joel Koetkin, Richard Florida, among others believe that the San Francisco Bay Area poses a legit threat to Los Angeles and not in the distant future but right now currently.

Just wanted to get some opinions on it. Seems like the potential for a legit discussion, for heavy-weights.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Whoever sent me that rep thx, yes I do feel more important repping the Bay, LA is old news, time for angelenos to gracefully bow out of the 2nd city discussion and be more concerned about being challenged for 3rd place by the likes of Houston and/or DFW.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM

661 posts, read 692,404 times
As a native Northern Californian there's just something about things up here I prefer. The Bay is a special place indeed and is on fire right now.

But imagine a 19 million person Greater LA accelerating. DTLA fully "gentrified" out, another Measure R, a hot new industry. Nobody could touch it for second place at that point. Sure, it might stagnate. I doubt it.

Oh, and RJ, I think NYC, LA, Bay is the Big Three right now.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,356,572 times
So city only, I would say Chicago.

MSA, Chicago.

CSA, DC or Bay Area.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Whoever sent me that rep thx, yes I do feel more important repping the Bay,
It is very difficult for anyone to deny that the San Francisco Bay Area has been on a hot-streak/tear for 5 years now and is coming up fast.

I don't understand but I get the impression that the San Francisco Bay Area's boom has been rubbing people off the wrong way. I think people were too comfortable and used to thinking of the San Francisco Bay Area as a Western United States equivalent to Greater Boston and now that the two are definitely in different tiers that people haven't adjusted to it well enough yet.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
It is very difficult for anyone to deny that the San Francisco Bay Area has been on a hot-streak/tear for 5 years now and is coming up fast.

I don't understand but I get the impression that the San Francisco Bay Area's boom has been rubbing people off the wrong way. I think people were too comfortable and used to thinking of the San Francisco Bay Area as a Western United States equivalent to Greater Boston and now that the two are definitely in different tiers that people haven't adjusted to it well enough yet.
SF has always been thought of top 5, but seeing it at the #2 spot is making some cringe, basically haters.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 PM

934 posts, read 1,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Chicago metropolitan area (and Chicago in general for all measures) has been in the United States Top 3 from 1870 and will resume 5 more years in that space before finally being knocked down to 4th. That will end 150 years of Chicago being a Top 3 place in every measure for the first time, thus ending the popularly assumed "Big 3 Era" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago) of current and "Big 3 Era" of historical times (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia), which had already ended several decades to over half-a-century back when Los Angeles effectively replaced Philadelphia in the Big 3.

I think most people on the forum see the writing on the wall, that 3rd is foggy and possibly open for grabs right now. I've seen some scholars actually begin suggesting that even 2nd is open for discussion, particularly with the surge of the Silicon Valley related tech boom in the San Francisco Bay Area. People like Wendell Cox, Joel Koetkin, Richard Florida, among others believe that the San Francisco Bay Area poses a legit threat to Los Angeles and not in the distant future but right now currently.

Just wanted to get some opinions on it. Seems like the potential for a legit discussion, for heavy-weights.
It going to take more than 5 years for Chicago to become 4th, by any measure. Chicago's strength against LA/SF is that the Windy City stands alone as a regional capital, the economic hub of a region of 65 million people. LA and San Fran are both powerful cities (hence why California is a behemoth), but some of the influence is divided among them.

That said, I always take the "in 50 years" statistics with a grain of salt because a lot can happen in that time. If the current course continues, yeah I can see Chicago descending down the list. However, environmentally California is in a lot of trouble. Here in the Midwest, Chicago is sitting next to the world's largest supply of freshwater and is surrounded by miles and miles of fertile farmland, away from the rising sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City