Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What are you talking about? I regularly watch NBC, CBS, ABC NY and Fox 5, they're always covering NJ stories. I believe it's NBC that has certain reporters for NJ and LI, too, they call it "4 New Jersey" or "4 Long Island" or something but it's the same news broadcast that everyone in the region is seeing.

Edit: I also follow all the local New York affiliates on Facebook and Twitter and they're ALWAYS sharing NJ news. Always. Just like NJ.com will post NYC news because it's stuff NJ residents need to know.

You're flat out wrong about a lot of things here Bajan, or you're exaggerating. It's abnormal for you but knowing you you'll be relentless.
I was talking about print media because it's actually documented. It's much harder to prove how much attention Channel 4 devotes to the City vs the suburbs. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that coverage is overwhelmingly titled towards the city (which makes sense considering that 44% of the metro area lives here, not in the burbs).

I'm only "flat out wrong" and biased when you disagree. And that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Trust me, going through the Holland Tunnel, regardless of the time of day, is not the same thing as going over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. It's faster for one and won't cost me any money. DC traffic is also restricted to rush hour whereas a full fledged traffic jam can pop up out of the blue on the LIE like an ex-girlfriend.

The Tri-State region simply isn't as cohesive as the DC region. This is me actually "anti-homering" here. New Jersey is psychologically "cut off" from New York in a way that Virginia isn't and this is even seen in the way media coverage typically unfolds in both regions.
The LIE doesn't go to NJ, though. That's a poor example of interstate transportation cohesion, if we're still arguing that. I'd say only the tunnels are consistently bad, and that's because they're old with not many lanes. GWB is actually pretty good outside of Sundays.

I've lived extensively in the Tri State and Delaware Valley (where I'm at now), and have been in "DC" many times for work (Pentagon, Bolling) and play (U Street, Howard), so I'm very familiar with all three. The interstate road networks between the DMV and NYC are in a similar tier of congestion, regardless of time of day. NYC might have more "consistent vehicles on the road reducing flow traffic", while DC has more "stop and go, wtf" traffic. Take your pic. The only thing DC has is lack of tolls (paying $14 is ****ing highway robbery) in its favor, but maybe that would help?

Overall, I'll say DC > NYC in road networks, due to lack of tolls, but I don't see heavy rail as a victory for the DMV. PATH, Metro North, and NJT are all very efficient. They may not link directly with the MTA Subway, but they literally get you right there. And I think we can all agree that the MTA Subway is head and shoulders the best rapid transit in the country.

Last edited by qworldorder; 09-23-2015 at 05:40 PM..

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
I have never lived in DC and since I have not talked about it at all here I don't know why it's relevant?
The debate is about the most cohesive not whether or not these 3 areas are cohesive. DC is quite relevant in the context of this thread. Everybody knows NYC-NJ-CT is cohesive. What many of us are saying is that the DMV is more cohesive feeling. NYC is too big to beat DC in this one. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned DC's murder capital days. That cannot be understated. Many amenities are just reaching certain parts of DC within the last 10 years. Before that, these amenities only existed in upper NW DC. The suburbs of DC in many ways outshined the central city. People here are extremely comfortable with going back and forth between VA-DC and MD-DC (VA-MD not as much).
The point about DC not being a state is excellent as well. DC does not have a New York state or Pennsylvania to handle the suburban population. MD and VA are DC's only suburbs.

Last edited by whogoesthere; 09-23-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 05:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was talking about print media because it's actually documented. It's much harder to prove how much attention Channel 4 devotes to the City vs the suburbs. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that coverage is overwhelmingly titled towards the city (which makes sense considering that 44% of the metro area lives here, not in the burbs).

I'm only "flat out wrong" and biased when you disagree. And that's fine.
Print media is a dinosaur these days.

Social media is how people are predominantly getting their news.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The debate is about the most cohesive not whether or not these 3 areas are cohesive. DC is quite relevant in the context of this thread. Everybody knows NYC-NJ-CT is cohesive. What many of us are saying is that the DMV is more cohesive feeling. NYC is too big to beat DC in this one. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned DC's murder capital days. That cannot be understated. Many amenities are just reaching certain parts of DC within the last 10 years. Before that, these amenities only existed in upper NW DC. The suburbs of DC in many ways outshined the central city. People here are extremely comfortable with going back and forth between VA-DC and MD-DC (VA-MD not as much).
Of course DC relevant. Understand the context and what I was responding to. Out of nowhere I was asked about my experience in DC. I said I have never lived there and have not touched it on this thread since I have no experience with it. I will only talk personally about where I live, and can only give info about where I live. I wouldn't try to speak for DC.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The LIE doesn't go to NJ, though. That's a poor example of interstate transportation cohesion, if we're still arguing that.
Yes, I'm aware that the LIE doesn't go through NJ. I was just giving an example of how traffic routinely pops up at unexpected times in NY. That's not really the case in the DC area. That's largely a product of there being more people in NYC than there are in the state of Maryland.

Quote:
I've lived extensively in the Tri State and Delaware Valley (where I'm at now), and have been in "DC" many times for work (Pentagon, Bolling) and play (U Street, Howard), so I'm very familiar with all three. The interstate road networks between the DMV and NYC are in a similar tier of congestion, regardless of time of day. NYC might have more "consistent vehicles on the road reducing flow traffic", while DC has more "stop and go, wtf" traffic. Take your pic. The only thing DC has is lack of tolls (paying $14 is ****ing highway robbery) in its favor, but maybe that would help?
No. Highways in the DC area are clear after rush hour. The only exception to this is beyond Mixing Bowl, which always seems to be jammed.

There's a lot more around the clock traffic in NYC because there are simply a lot more people in NYC. More cabs, more through traffic, more everything. And "been in" DC many times for work is not the same as being a taxpaying resident and registered voter for multiple years. That's like me saying I can speak on regular Miami traffic because I've been there "many times."

Quote:
Overall, I'll say DC > NYC in road networks, due to lack of tolls, but I don't see heavy rail as a victory for the DMV. PATH, Metro North, and NJT are all very efficient. They may not link directly with the MTA Subway, but they literally get you right there. And I think we can all agree that the MTA Subway is head and shoulders the best rapid transit in the country.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
The point about DC not being a state is excellent as well. DC does not have a New York state or Pennsylvania to handle the suburban population. MD and VA are DC's only suburbs.
Precisely

Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Print media is a dinosaur these days.

Social media is how people are predominantly getting their news.
You're not going to get your local news from CNN.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
. People here are extremely comfortable with going back and forth between VA-DC and MD-DC (VA-MD not as much).
Another thing that should be noted is the plethora of job sectors on the VA side of the river that people in MD commute to and some do vice versa. Hence the top and west side of the beltway in rush hour. That's the only thing I'll dispute here. NJ and CT do not have this same relationship, +2 DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City