Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,047,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but there's still a significant change going from Jersey into Manhattan while DC blends in with Maryland and Virginia much more seamlessly IMO. The Maryland and Virginia suburbs function as extensions of DC with all of the government agency headquarters located on both sides of the border.
There's really not a big change at all, especially when considering the outer boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There's really not a big change at all, especially when considering the outer boroughs.
There's no big change going from Staten Island to New Jersey. But there's a huge change once you cross over into New Jersey from Manhattan (even with the high rises in Jersey City).

Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM

37,923 posts, read 42,158,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's no big change going from Staten Island to New Jersey. But there's a huge change once you cross over into New Jersey from Manhattan (even with the high rises in Jersey City).
Agreed.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM

I would say DC, Maryland and Virginia seem to be more intertwined with each other just in basic everyday life. If you live in DC and want to go to a real shopping mall, you have to go to Pentagon City (Virginia) or Montgomery Mall (Bethesda). If you need to go to an airport, you go to National (Virginia) or BWI (Maryland). I feel like going to Virginia from DC is really more like going from one borough of NYC to another.

New Yorkers, on the other hand, don't really need to go to New Jersey for anything. And getting to Jersey is a huge hassle anyway. It's not a huge hassle to get from Philly to Jersey, but again, there's no real need to go there when everything you need is on the PA side of the river.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,164 posts, read 7,634,563 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken its even more seamless from crossing NJ into Staten than crossing the Verrazano from Staten to Brooklyn.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,047,083 times
Quote:
It doesn't feel all that different to me. Look, yeah, NOTHING looks like Manhattan, but feel, no. But I'm a lifelong area resident, maybe that's why. I'm sure a transplant or tourist would feel shocked entering Manhattan.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
If I'm not mistaken its even more seamless from crossing NJ into Staten than crossing the Verrazano from Staten to Brooklyn.
Yeah because Brooklyn is way more built up than Staten Island.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,164 posts, read 7,634,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The NYC area is so massive, densely populated and built up that it feels more cohesive than almost anywhere else.

Looking out from the top of the Empire State Building, you feel like you're at the center of the world.
But do you feel like that when including Connecticut? To me it seems like less of a factor in the metro area than even places like Long Island. Maryland, Virginia and DC hold close to equal weight when talking cross commuting and activities or destinations in each.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It doesn't feel all that different to me. Look, yeah, NOTHING looks like Manhattan, but feel, no. But I'm a lifelong area resident, maybe that's why. I'm sure a transplant or tourist would feel shocked entering Manhattan.
It feels different too. I don't think being a lifelong resident or a transplant has much to do with it.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM

6,843 posts, read 11,004,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I also thought of adding New England area as well. One question about Chicago area, for the category of seeing license plates from the other states in the region. How prevalent is that in Chicagoland? Here in the DMV you can get to any of the three jurisdictions without going through a second state so we often see each other's license plates across the metro. From Indiana to Wisconsin you obviously have to pass through Illinois. Is there much cross commuting all the way across that stretch?
Very common to be in the Loop and to see both Wisconsin and especially Indiana license plates BUT that is more commonplace in the DMV between Maryland, Virginia, and of course the District of Columbia itself. I would say its common in Chicagoland but not as dominantly prevalent like it is in New York's Tri-State Area or the Washington's DMV area.

To answer the second part of your question, there is little commuter interflow between Indiana and Wisconsin itself. Illinois absolutely has to serve as the joint that connects the two. In this instance, Chicagoland's Tri-State Area would play a backseat to New York and Washington's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City