Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Maybe it indicates lack of a good highway system to connect areas? This is true for getting into NYC but there are only so many bridges and tunnels you can build, and it's not cheap to do so. We need another tunnel under the Hudson but NY tried to make NJ foot the bill and NJ was not buying that, so that idea's on hold though we desperately need one for rail.
Yeah but none of that applies to the DMV lol. He said the area isn't cohesive because it has bad traffic...it seems to be a pretty off-base argument especially given the fact that most people are voting for the DMV here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 AM

27,603 posts, read 28,706,672 times
In the NYC area, Manhattan is really "the city" and the other NYC boroughs and NJ are like the suburbs, albeit dense ones. Connecticut is like the wealthy "secret" that most people kind of leave alone.

That is the fairer comparison in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Yeah but that's just the raw size of NYC at play.
I don't think it's just that. There's sort of this irrational "Eh" attitude when it comes to anywhere outside of Manhattan for some people. They could be going from the LES to Williamsburg and still have that attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
As for the question at hand, DC wins it pretty easily. Its the smallest city and the city itself has the lowest relative percentage of the city metro population among the three areas. The new exciting DC that everybody seems to love is also a new phenomenon. DC was the murder capital 2 decades ago and was actively avoided by suburbanites. What all this means is that the suburbs have always had to carry more of the load in the DMV. In addition, the suburbs are pretty evenly split between MD and VA. DC's resurgence has brought the city back into the mix and all 3 areas together definitely have a more cohesive feel. This is not to say NYC and Philly don't have this feel but it's more pronounced in the DMV.
I agree with this.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,717,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think it's just that. There's sort of this irrational "Eh" attitude when it comes to anywhere outside of Manhattan for some people. They could be going from the LES to Williamsburg and still have that attitude.
I think this is really only among transplants. Long time or native New Yorkers don't have this attitude at all. These are the kind of people that think that Manhattan = NYC. If your friends don't visit your house because it is in another borough, I suggest you make new friends... I remember even growing up we used to visit friend's houses in other boroughs when we were school kids...

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think this is really only among transplants. Long time or native New Yorkers don't have this attitude at all. These are the kind of people that think that Manhattan = NYC. If your friends don't visit your house because it is in another borough, I suggest you make new friends... I remember even growing up we used to visit friend's houses in other boroughs when we were school kids...
A lot of the people that live in Manhattan are transplants, so yeah. But I also think this rings true for Harlemites. Harlem very much has a "We are the center of the universe" type of attitude.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM

"I'm gonna have y'all lookin' for work in Queens. This is Harlem, baby! We hold it down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleTtAOFoak

Old 09-22-2015, 03:17 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,269,868 times
Just an interesting coincidence that these are the 3 metros that Pope Francis will be visiting.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Just an interesting coincidence that these are the 3 metros that Pope Francis will be visiting.

which have the most cohesive papal visit, maybe a new topic

Old 09-22-2015, 05:14 PM

122 posts, read 176,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not a huge hassle to get from Philly to Jersey, but again, there's no real need to go there when everything you need is on the PA side of the river.
Many people from Philly/NE Philly, come to shop in NJ (Cherry Hill) and fill up gasoline full-service over the weekends. The King of Prussia Mall is a farther of a hike, but many go there too as well. Gas being so low everywhere, however, likely isn't the same appeal in NJ as when it was higher in price.

Also, AC and the Shore has appeal to some.

People from the Philly/PA side and their views of NJ are like white people and their views of Indian food. Some like it or it's an option. Others dislike it.

Between the 3 regions, I think DMV, the Washington region is the most seamless.

I think the New York market is too large and has most divisive geographic barriers. It's typical that people from NJ prefer using EWR and won't trek to JFK, but those from Long Island won't go to EWR. But in Washington, DCA is central to everyone.

The Philly region has central unifying aspects like Philly sports teams and PHL airport accessiblity, but I find it culturally a bit different from the PA side over to the NJ side. Some folks on the PA side are very much PA cultured like Amy's parents on Everybody Loves Raymond. You also see more people that are pro gun in PA, and the type that live rather in remote areas. There are often the types that get to work by 7:30am and leave by 3:30. The NJ commuter is more often the type that gets to work by 9:30am and leaves by 5:30pm.

Last edited by marltonguy; 09-22-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 05:42 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,728,213 times
The delaware valley is not cohesive at all. Pa ppl only go to jersey for the shore, wholesale liquor, and official business, and hate jersey. Jersey ppl only go to CC for work, and both only go to delaware for tax breaks and sports gambling. Functionally its similar to the bay area. Philly/PA=SF/Peninsula. Camden/SJ= Oak/Alameda co. Wilmington/Dware= SJ/SBay. NYC ppl have a similar disdain for NJ, and Connecticut is their Dware. The DMV however functions much more like one cohesive metropolitan area. They have neither wide rivers or expensive tolls between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City