Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Downtown the South has to Offer
Downtown Miami 44 13.21%
Downtown Houston 25 7.51%
Downtown New Orleans/French Quarter 80 24.02%
Downtown Austin/6th street 15 4.50%
Downtown Birmingham 12 3.60%
Downtown San Antonio/Riverwalk 15 4.50%
Downtown Memphis/Beale Street 4 1.20%
Downtown Charlotte 14 4.20%
Downtown Raleigh 5 1.50%
Downtown Nashville 21 6.31%
Downtown Orlando 7 2.10%
Downtown Atlanta 35 10.51%
Downtown Savannah 11 3.30%
Midtown Atlanta 19 5.71%
Downtown Dallas 19 5.71%
Downtown Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Buckhead Atlanta 6 1.80%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times

Advertisements

Is San Antonio really in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Is San Antonio really in the South?
Let the 50-page digression over what cities are in the South commence.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
The answer is New Orleans. There really isn't anything close. Atlanta would probably be second.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Houston loses BIG TIME on the criteria listed in the first post:

-Downtown that doesn't close after 5pm
-Downtown that doesn't need a sporting event to be vibrant
-Downtown that is the Cultural and Entertainment Center of Town
-Most Vibrant Downtown in the South
-Densest Downtown in the South
-Most Urban Downtown in the South
-Most Walkable Downtown in the South
Agreed. Downtown Houston isn't even the best downtown in Texas, let alone the entire South.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Let the 50-page digression over what cities are in the South commence.
Not trying to go down that route, but I feel it's a valid point to raise--certainly far more valid than "are D.C./Maryland/Delaware Southern?"

Texas is a Southern state for a large area, but I'm not sure if San Antonio is part of that region, in the same way that El Paso isn't viewed as Southern, though it is on a technicality. SA just seems to be the obvious oddball here is all.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The answer is New Orleans. There really isn't anything close. Atlanta would probably be second.
Nah, I think one of the other older cities would come in second (e.g., Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, etc.). Atlanta's is probably best among the "Big Four" though.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Not trying to go down that route, but I feel it's a valid point to raise--certainly far more valid than "are D.C./Maryland/Delaware Southern?"

Texas is a Southern state for a large area, but I'm not sure if San Antonio is part of that region, in the same way that El Paso isn't viewed as Southern, though it is on a technicality. SA just seems to be the obvious oddball here is all.
For the sake of simplicity, it is located in a Southern state so let it be. Same goes for Miami. It would just be nice to get through one thread without this same old question coming up.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
In terms of activity, density, entertainment, education, employment, restaurants, basically all around I would give it to New Orleans.

Houston is the most impressive from a far, and has the far largest daytime population downtown, but they are all hidden, which makes for a pretty dead looking downtown.

Atlanta has many things downtown that sets the stage for a great downtown. It has a large university presence, Olympic park, Georgia aquarium, MLK museum, the stadium, the rail, etc. That is why I would put Atlanta high up there, but New Orleans feels way more active and full to me.

Savannah is packed with charm, it's core is one of my favorites in the US.

Memphis, San Antonio and Nashville, has unique aspects that draw me, but Savannah for me is a notch above.

Miami is a weird one for me. It feels so different but not in the same way places like New Orleans feel different. To be honest the downtown isn't all that, but it has so much so close like nearby Miami Beach. Downtown Miami I would rank below DT ATL.

Austin is overrated all around, the downtown included. To be frank I would chose DT FW over DT Austin. I just don't get the hype about Austin. The pros about Austin include the huge university presence, the large government presence, the natural setting, and the concentration of bars.

Downtown Dallas I don't have much to say about. It is another Houston, with lower daytime population but with a better rail population in the core and less mole people. This is not a ringing endorsement but the best thing about DTD is that it has uptown Dallas a stones throw away.

Summary:
New Orleans wins.
Smaller cities like Savannah I love for the charm.
Larger cities have ghost downtowns but Atlanta I would say has the best big boy downtown.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago and New York are primarily business/commercial downtowns. Houston is the only one in The South to come close to this regard and that's why I voted for Houston. (New Orleans is too touristy!)
Leave the Quarter next time.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:34 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
People are complaining about some random town or city being left off the list when it won't change the fact that New Orleans should run away with this thing. I can't think of a downtown in the South that comes close to being the heart of the city for both visitors and locals alike.
Not sure I would call the French Quarter the heart of the city for native New Orleanians. It's beautiful and filled with history, but its largely a tourist playground that's generally avoided by locals (unless they work in the area).

A local's definition of "downtown" refers to everything downriver from Canal Street, with the exception of New Orleans East and the West Bank. The CBD (which is Uptown) serves as the core for the entire urban area, but I would say the heart of the city stretches along Magazine St. That has been my experience, atleast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City