Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 PM

366 posts, read 406,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The ocean water temperature was damn near perfect here this summer, refreshing and comfortable. Except for during the winter I do not enjoy the warm ocean temperature of Florida at all- I'm already dying in the heat and humidity there, sweating like a pig. Diving into pee warm water is not my idea of relief at that point.
Everything happens once in a blue moon. You have a pretty odd opinion totally unlike most the population anyways.

It's not exactly hot tub water in FL beaches, anybody who says that has no idea of what they are talking about and has never been there.

Water temps don't work like air temps, any educated person knows that. 90's in the water is not like 90's in the air. Even around Daytona Beach in Central FL for example, I was there in the summer on a hot sunny day and it was cold compared to say comfortable bath water.

FL beach temps for the most part work perfectly with it's air temps and is really comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,293,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
It's most famous for being the birthplace of skyscrapers and America's 2nd/3rd city. It's skyline is no longer as iconic compared to others and Houston is bound to overtake the city in population and importance. Cling to history all you want. Now when people think of Chicago it's about the cold and crime. What is the first thing people say in conversion regarding living in Chicago?

"Those winters are so cold!" No one is admiring the skyscrapers or polish food.
I Got a good CHUCKLE out of Chicago not still seen as with a WORLD ICONIC SKYLINE. Honestly, Chicago STILL RATES TOP 5 in some and Top 10 in Others. Merely Asian cities like Dubai and Beijing have massively build do some place them over Chicago's. But CHICAGO NEVER IS PLACED OVER other American cities but NYC in Skyline. NO OTHER AMERICAN CITY IS CLOSE TO OVERTAKING ITS SKYLINE.... NOT HOUSTON SORRY.... Toronto in Canada some boast will and has in City population already.

Houston's Skyline never even cracks Top 25 in the world..... but Seattle's does. You do realize.... that most of the Nation and Western World experiences Winter that is cold. Downtown Chicago still has outdoor walkable shopping streets in its Downtown and neighborhoods. Michigan Ave and its Boutique shops on Side streets main Shopping street.... that is Top 3 in the nation today with LA's Rodeo Dr. and NYC's 5th Ave.
Quote:
Maybe you are getting us mixed up with Santa Barbara? San Diego is consistently rated as the #1 place that Americans would relocate to if they could. NYC is #2. Not sure I believe people have a "not generally favorable" view if we rank #1 every year in the Harris Poll.
For Weather and in Retirement surely San Diego. Gets top relocation prospects. Less issues of LA and seems to get spared most of California's Calamities. Even yearly. Fires to Earthquakes. Chicago has neither threat and NO WATER SHORTAGE THREATS EVER.... just saying.
Quote:
We have outdoor activities...? I'm sorry that you are stuck inside with nothing else to do than watch a lousy Bears team. Why would anyone pay $70 to sit in a hot/cold stadium when you can go to the beach for free?
Bringing in the Chicago Bears Football team is irreverent.... What is the San Diego Football team?
Sports teams are irreverent. Baseball is in the Summer in outdoor stadiums and Chicago has two Teams and Hockey is indoors everywhere basically.
Quote:
San Diegans generally don't care about professional sports. While you are subsidizing the salaries of millionaires, we are staying active and healthy. Not even sure what the Chargers have to do with anything. San Diego is an awesome sports town because we are actually playing sports- and year round! Not watching them at home or in the cold.
Chicago has its whole Lakefront of Parks, Harbors, Beaches and Jogging, biking paths along its length. that why living close to the Lake is where many sought after neighborhoods are. True they have winters. Again some cities have awful Humidity or heat or both that keep people more indoors some seasons. SD and Southern Cali are lucky in that regard for sure..... Why Cali grew so rapidly in the 20th century.
Quote:
There is truth to this. However, San Diego is increasingly urban because we ran out of room to grow outwards. Downtown has grown tremendously since 2003.

No one here is arguing that San Diego is more important than Chicago, so calm down. Chicago will always be more important. We are not comparing city importance on a global stage. It's not even a competition.

Who cares about prestige? You think people care that their city ranks with the likes of Berlin if they absolutely hate living there?

I am well aware that crime is on the downturn. Never claimed otherwise. It's still high!
I do realize your post was not originally a reply to mine..... but thought I'd reply anyway.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,769,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
And I find this a weird reaction to something that was meant to be sarcasm. I didn't need a whole fanboy's guide to San Diego over it, thanks.

I don't feel the necessity to defend Chicago for any of that dissing, plenty of Chicago posters in here that can do that from my experience. But would like to point out some silly parts of the posts since you made me read all that:

A) San Diego only seems very urban to you because you are used to having very low standards for it. You are bragging urbanity against Chicago here, not Phoenix.

Southern cities like Houston, Dallas or even mid-sized cities in the Midwest gives SD more competition for it, and in some cases a lot them are even superior to SD. A city like Atlanta for example is even more urban than San Diego. Those give SD more competition than it in return will more than likely will ever give Chicago.
Since you brought up SD's peer cities, how do you think Chicago stacks up against other world class cities as far as for urbanity goes? I love big bad cities and compared to NYC, London, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Mexico City, Chicago looks and feels like Indianapolis. I hate to say it, but I find it dull. I was there a couple years ago for a week and stayed in Lakeview the entire time, so it wasn't like I was in the Loop, which you probably know is a ghost town after 6pm.

Of the places mentioned above, I would go back any of them again. Chicago? No thanks. It was my third visit (Prior visit was 13 years ago) and have little desire to go back.

It doesn't really surprise me that Chicago is, by far, the slowest growing big city in the Country. Perhaps you can explain how a city of 2.7 million people grew by only 82 people last year? Unbelievable.

Chicago's population ekes out really small gain - Chicago Tribune

Sure, the skyline keeps changing, but underneath it all, it's a pretty stagnant place.

Quote:
B) I never really say the San Diego area was all barren desert, as I already said it was meant to be sarcasm.

Yes, I'm well aware there are mountains, hills blah blah blah around SD, thank you. They are in general still brown and ugly like most of the region, but ok besides that point to some I guess, you do have them if that's you thing, congratulations! Point is though what if one couldn't give less of a manure about any of that? Who made them necessities for a high quality of life again?
Oh, that's right, you have Oak Street Beach which trumps anything in SD

Quote:
C) Why the flip am I driving to some cowtown 60 miles away just to see snow again? On the other hand, if Chicago residents really wanted some out of season sunny beach time, they could do that and a lot more by taking a flight to Miami for about a hundred odd bucks. They wouldn't freeze over there either when they go into the water.

Ok, I did end up defending Chicago a lot there, but whatever.
No need to defend Chicago. It's not like anyone is moving there, anyways. Those of us on either coast take nonstop flights to the opposite coast all the time, so it's easy to forget Chicago even exists.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 11-03-2015 at 11:38 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Since you brought up SD's peer cities, how do you think Chicago stacks up against other world class cities as far as for urbanity goes? I love big bad cities and compared to NYC, London, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Mexico City, Chicago looks and feels like Indianapolis. I hate to say it, but I find it dull. I was there a couple years ago for a week and stayed in Lakeview the entire time, so it wasn't like I was in the Loop, which you probably know is a ghost town after 6pm.

Of the places mentioned above, I would go back any of them again. Chicago? No thanks. It was my third visit (Prior visit was 13 years ago) and have little desire to go back.

It doesn't really surprise me that Chicago is, by far, the slowest growing big city in the Country. Perhaps you can explain how a city of 2.7 million people grew by only 82 people last year? Unbelievable.

Chicago's population ekes out really small gain - Chicago Tribune

Sure, the skyline keeps changing, but underneath it all, it's a pretty stagnant place.

Oh, that's right, you have Oak Street Beach which trumps anything in SD

No need to defend Chicago. It's not like anyone is moving there, anyways. Those of us on either coast take nonstop flights to the opposite coast all the time, so it's easy to forget Chicago even exists.
You try to make it sound like San Diego is more relevant than Chicago. There is no way Chicago feels like Indianapolis (of course, that can be your opinion), but I believe most might beg to differ. Clearly, based on your comments, you have a bias. Hard to take someone too seriously, when they have that going on.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,835,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You try to make it sound like San Diego is more relevant than Chicago. There is no way Chicago feels like Indianapolis (of course, that can be your opinion), but I believe most might beg to differ. Clearly, based on your comments, you have a bias. Hard to take someone too seriously, when they have that going on.
I know right? Cause we all know San Diego is one heck of an exciting and bustling city, lol. Beyond the beaches and weather SD is boring as heck. Also population loss has nothing to do with a city being interesting, for decades Paris, NYC, and Boston saw huge population losses as well. Heck I believe Paris for a good 50 years kept bleeding people out. Just for reference Paris in 1930 had about 3 million people and now only has 2.2 million. And before 2010 it was bleeding people since 1930, and now it's gaining and growing super slowly almost stagnant as well. So population growth has nothing to do with how interesting or great a city is. If that were the case then one would have to make the case the phoenix is more interesting than Chicago, Boston, DC or Philly.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,390,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
IAlso population loss has nothing to do with a city being interesting, for decades Paris, NYC, and Boston saw huge population losses as well.
None of this is true. Paris and Boston never had "huge population losses", ever. NYC had big population losses in one decade (the 1970's), and has had massive growth since.

Chicago is different from these cities in that there has been non-stop population loss for basically 60 years, and there are huge areas of abandonment. Most of the city is cheap and undesirable.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,390,117 times
Quote:
Everyone has a bias. You and I have a bias too. We all do.

Compared to NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc., yeah, Chicago feels like Indianapolis. Almost everyone would agree with that. Of course, compared to Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc., Chicago feels huge and cosmopolitan and bustling. It's all relative, of course.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:58 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Everyone has a bias. You and I have a bias too. We all do.

Compared to NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc., yeah, Chicago feels like Indianapolis. Almost everyone would agree with that. Of course, compared to Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc., Chicago feels huge and cosmopolitan and bustling. It's all relative, of course.
What does San Diego feel like compared to NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.? I'll throw this into the mix...where is San Diego?

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/03/...l-city/386315/

Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,835,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
None of this is true. Paris and Boston never had "huge population losses", ever. NYC had big population losses in one decade (the 1970's), and has had massive growth since.

Chicago is different from these cities in that there has been non-stop population loss for basically 60 years, and there are huge areas of abandonment. Most of the city is cheap and undesirable.
Look up Paris' demographics, it's on par in regards to years of population loss to chicago. Also don't ignore the fact the Chicago actually saw a population increase of about 200k in 2000....

That's not true the most of the city is not undesirable. The population loss of chicago is due to the poor leaving. It's gentrifying, just like New Orleans, chicago has a huge poor population, and they are all leaving. Chicago is a tale of two cities, basically the northside is like San Francisco or Boston, dense with almost no abandoned areas and completely built up and middle class to wealthy. It continues to grow with new developments happening all the time and becoming more and more sophisticated.

The south side is more like Detroit or New Orleans for the most part poor, a lot of abandonment and people leaving in droves to escape the negative environment of the area in that side of the city. So chicago is bleeding out people but it's nots the educated or professional types. It's the poor. The difference is Chicago has much higher proportion of ghettos and poor people than places like SF, Boston or LA ever had.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,372,646 times
Quote:
What does San Diego feel like compared to NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.? I'll throw this into the mix...where is San Diego?

The World

If you look closely at those maps in the page you sent, it a tiny insignificant pixel south of Los Angeles. You have to look reaaalllly close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City