Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better overall based on my criteria?
City of Angels 31 67.39%
Magic City 15 32.61%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,133 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I would like to know which city is better for a young adult in his 20's based on:

Nightlife
Amenities
Downtown
Lifestyle
Vibe
Cost of living
Quality of life
Neighborhoods
Food
Day/Weekend trips
Which is more urban
Big city feel
Beach life
Economy
Weather
Public Transportation
Traffic
Roads/Highways
etc. (you can add anything else)

I would prefer for people who have experienced both cities but anyone is welcome to pitch in their opinions!

Last edited by Naitsirhc; 10-27-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,521 times
I'm interested in seeing where this goes

Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
LA by far.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitsirhc View Post
Hey guys,
I would like to know which city is better for a young adult in his 20's based on:

Nightlife: South Beach is Amazing and the clubs are open much later. I'm going to go with MIA for that. Although, you have much more quality variety in LA.
Amenities: LA
Downtown: LA, unless Downtown Miami has drastically changed.
Lifestyle: LA
Vibe: LA
Cost of living: MIA
Quality of life: depends on what you value
Neighborhoods: LA
Food: LA
Day/Weekend trips: LA
Which is more urban: LA
Big city feel: LA
Beach life: MIA
Economy: LA
Weather: LA
Public Transportation: LA
Traffic: MIA
Roads/Highways: both suck

I would prefer for people who have experienced both cities but anyone is welcome to pitch in their opinions!
Boom

Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
I live in LA and really, LA is the clear winner here. Based off of what I've heard Miami is nice for a week plus it's unreal the amount of negative things locals have to say about miami.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 AM

100 posts, read 189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitsirhc View Post
Hey guys,

Nightlife
Amenities
Downtown
Lifestyle
Vibe
Cost of living
Quality of life
Neighborhoods
Food
Day/Weekend trips
Which is more urban
Big city feel
Beach life
Economy
Weather
Public Transportation
Traffic
Roads/Highways

Wow coming from an OP with 1 post (could be a newbie or another active member or possibly a previously banned member who knows ).. yet another thread for L.A. bashing .. well actually both cities get bashed a lot.

Hopefully this thread doesn't go back and forth hitting each other with hammers.

Last edited by ™WestCoast Reppin™; 10-28-2015 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: common grammar errors

Old 10-28-2015, 06:28 AM

41 posts, read 47,361 times
1)Nightlife:

Miami wins this one. While Los Angeles is home to the entertainment industry, has more variety, it's spread out, and is harder to break into. Miami with her Miami Beach (South Beach) and other entertainment venues, festivals, and 5am call, is just easier to have fun. It's tourist fueled.

2)Amenities:

Los Angeles. It's more than twice as large as Miami.

3)Downtown:

Does "Downtown" mean literally the CBD or the "contiguous urban areas" of each? Either way I'll go with Los Angeles. The CBD of Miami right now is a gentrifying ghetto, Los Angeles has already gentrified quite a bit.

4)Lifestyle:

Don't know what you mean by 'Lifestyle' since there are multiple 'lifestyles' and while Miami and Los Angeles roughly cater to the same glitz and glamour lifestyle, they do it in different ways. I'll remain agnostic.

5)Vibe:

Miami. There is a palpable and noticeable vibe there when you step off the plane that is absent in Los Angeles. No area in Los Angeles matches the energy of South Beach.

6)Cost of living:

I can guess, but let's look at this website: Cost of Living Comparison Between Los Angeles, CA, United States And Miami, FL, United States

Consumer prices are 5.07% higher in Miami than Los Angeles.
Consumer prices including rent are 4.33% lower in Miami than Los Angeles [meaning rent is more expensive in Los Angeles]
Rent prices are 17.32% lower in Miami than Los Angeles.
Restaurant prices are 0.7% higher in Miami than Los Angeles [virtually identical]
Grocery prices are 3.69% higher in Miami than Los Angeles.
Local Purchasing Power is 0.06% higher in Miami than Los Angeles [virtually identical]

Overall the same lifestyle that will cost you 5,100$ USD in Los Angeles will cost you 4,879.16$.

This does not include two important factors. Miami is in Florida and does not have a state income tax.
If you were a home buyer instead of a renter, real estate prices are way down in Miami compared to Los Angeles [rental rates are not always at parity with actual values in a rental or buyer saturated market]. However HOA fees and insurances will be higher in Florida.

Overall, I give the edge to Miami.

7)Quality of life:

I cannot say. It depends on your interests and your income. I doubt you will secure the same paying job in Miami versus Los Angeles. However, if we could fix your income, for incomes in the range of 150k and down, I'd vote Miami. For incomes higher, I'd be tempted to go with Los Angeles.

8)Neighborhoods:

Los Angeles has more of them.

9)Food:

Los Angeles. LA is a foodie city, Miami is becoming one.

10)Day/Weekend trips:

Miami has Orlando, Keys, and Bahamas, as well as various Latin America destinations. Los Angeles has many national parks, San Francisco, San Diego, and Mexican border cities. Did I mention several mountain ranges?

I guess overall this goes to Los Angeles. If you have to get on your own plane, you can fly many places. Unless you have your own boat in Miami, there is simply not much to drive too.

11)Which is more urban:

Los Angeles is bigger.

12)Big city feel:

Los Angeles feels bigger because it is. By a lot.

13)Beach life:

Miami by leaps and bounds.

14)Economy:

Los Angeles.

15)Weather:

Subjective, I have heard as much praise for Miami's always warm weather as I have heard for LA's always sunny and comfortable. It tends to work out that those in Miami who move to LA complain about how LA is too cool constantly whereas those in LA who move to Miami complain about the summers. In total both have good weather, but Miami's weather is better suited for the beach. However LA doesn't have hurricanes, so I give the edge to LA.

16)Public Transportation:

Both suck, LA has more options for PT but more so for her westside. I guess LA.

17)Traffic:

LA is worse, but Miami is not far behind.

18)Roads/Highways:

Who cares?

Miami wins 5. Los Angeles wins 10. 3 I remained agnostic. 2 of those LA won are really close calls. If you specify your lifestyle and income, it might change the tally in favor of Miami.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:38 AM

34 posts, read 32,951 times
LA=L
Miami=M

Nightlife M
Amenities L
Downtown Slight edge to L
Lifestyle Tie
Vibe Tie
Cost of living M
Quality of life - Depends on how much money you make
Neighborhoods L
Food L
Day/Weekend trips - Tie Vegas, San Diego or the Caribbean
Which is more urban - Slight edge to L
Big city feel L
Beach life M (warmer water)
Economy L
Weather L
Public Transportation L
Traffic M but Miami has too many toll roads
Roads/Highways L

Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBobby657 View Post
Miami all day. Los Angeles is overated and a waste of space.

Atlanta vs Miami is better comparison
You're right about the second part. Miami doesn't belong in a (city) vs. Los Angeles thread as LA destroys it in so many of the provided categories.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloWolf View Post
1)Nightlife:

Miami wins this one. While Los Angeles is home to the entertainment industry, has more variety, it's spread out, and is harder to break into. Miami with her Miami Beach (South Beach) and other entertainment venues, festivals, and 5am call, is just easier to have fun. It's tourist fueled.

2)Amenities:

Los Angeles. It's more than twice as large as Miami.

3)Downtown:

Does "Downtown" mean literally the CBD or the "contiguous urban areas" of each? Either way I'll go with Los Angeles. The CBD of Miami right now is a gentrifying ghetto, Los Angeles has already gentrified quite a bit.

4)Lifestyle:

Don't know what you mean by 'Lifestyle' since there are multiple 'lifestyles' and while Miami and Los Angeles roughly cater to the same glitz and glamour lifestyle, they do it in different ways. I'll remain agnostic.

5)Vibe:

Miami. There is a palpable and noticeable vibe there when you step off the plane that is absent in Los Angeles. No area in Los Angeles matches the energy of South Beach.

6)Cost of living:

I can guess, but let's look at this website: Cost of Living Comparison Between Los Angeles, CA, United States And Miami, FL, United States

Consumer prices are 5.07% higher in Miami than Los Angeles.
Consumer prices including rent are 4.33% lower in Miami than Los Angeles [meaning rent is more expensive in Los Angeles]
Rent prices are 17.32% lower in Miami than Los Angeles.
Restaurant prices are 0.7% higher in Miami than Los Angeles [virtually identical]
Grocery prices are 3.69% higher in Miami than Los Angeles.
Local Purchasing Power is 0.06% higher in Miami than Los Angeles [virtually identical]

Overall the same lifestyle that will cost you 5,100$ USD in Los Angeles will cost you 4,879.16$.

This does not include two important factors. Miami is in Florida and does not have a state income tax.
If you were a home buyer instead of a renter, real estate prices are way down in Miami compared to Los Angeles [rental rates are not always at parity with actual values in a rental or buyer saturated market]. However HOA fees and insurances will be higher in Florida.

Overall, I give the edge to Miami.

7)Quality of life:

I cannot say. It depends on your interests and your income. I doubt you will secure the same paying job in Miami versus Los Angeles. However, if we could fix your income, for incomes in the range of 150k and down, I'd vote Miami. For incomes higher, I'd be tempted to go with Los Angeles.

8)Neighborhoods:

Los Angeles has more of them.

9)Food:

Los Angeles. LA is a foodie city, Miami is becoming one.

10)Day/Weekend trips:

Miami has Orlando, Keys, and Bahamas, as well as various Latin America destinations. Los Angeles has many national parks, San Francisco, San Diego, and Mexican border cities. Did I mention several mountain ranges?

I guess overall this goes to Los Angeles. If you have to get on your own plane, you can fly many places. Unless you have your own boat in Miami, there is simply not much to drive too.

11)Which is more urban:

Los Angeles is bigger.

12)Big city feel:

Los Angeles feels bigger because it is. By a lot.

13)Beach life:

Miami by leaps and bounds.

14)Economy:

Los Angeles.

15)Weather:

Subjective, I have heard as much praise for Miami's always warm weather as I have heard for LA's always sunny and comfortable. It tends to work out that those in Miami who move to LA complain about how LA is too cool constantly whereas those in LA who move to Miami complain about the summers. In total both have good weather, but Miami's weather is better suited for the beach. However LA doesn't have hurricanes, so I give the edge to LA.

16)Public Transportation:

Both suck, LA has more options for PT but more so for her westside. I guess LA.

17)Traffic:

LA is worse, but Miami is not far behind.

18)Roads/Highways:

Who cares?

Miami wins 5. Los Angeles wins 10. 3 I remained agnostic. 2 of those LA won are really close calls. If you specify your lifestyle and income, it might change the tally in favor of Miami.
Very well laid out post and I am from Miami. The Los Angeles metro is so huge compared to Miami so it really isn't fair to compare but Miami does hold up well in many categories though.

La + Miami love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City