Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier city of the Great Lakes Region?
Chicago and its entire extended area Greater Chicago/Chicagoland 86 60.14%
Toronto and its entire extended area the Greater Golden Horseshoe 40 27.97%
Tie 17 11.89%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
OMG!!!! Toronto is soooooooOOOOOOO multicultural!!!!11! It has people from Spain AND The Caribbean? WOW. Like WOW!!!!! My goodness! JAW IS DROPPIN'! No other city can ever hope to muster that level of multiculturalism! I mean, New York might have one Spaniard, but certainly not Caribbean Blacks! And I'd be shocked if Chicagoans have even heard of Spain! Let's all bow down to Toronto. They have Spaniards and Caribbeans!!!!

Fun fact: Chicago is 62% Hispanic or Black! 62%!! But that means nothing of course since Toronto has a group of 15 drunk Spaniards. Why should I even try!

Fun fact 2: Toronto is 12% Hispanic or Black. Chicago is 62%. Just thought I'd put that out there. I'm guessing you'll counter by posting a YouTube video with 3 views of Armenians eating ice cream by the CN Tower or something. But I think 62% vs 12% is a pretty big difference, don't you think?
The fact that Chicago is 62% Hispanic or Black simply means that, and is reflection of the history of white flight and segregation and general abandonment of the city by those with money, that has only turned around in the last 15-20 years or so (that are characteristic of many US cities). That means nothing. Paris is international and cosmopolitan because of the expats, tourists that WANT to live in Paris's historic center and for its culture, not because of the segregated, miserable ghetto project block towers in the suburbs that house the downtrodden Muslims that are breeding grounds for what happened the other week.

Chicagos blacks came from the rural south decades ago, and for the most part would prefer to get out of their neighborhoods. Chicagos hispanic population by and large may be more recent immigrants but are largely from a few specific areas of Mexico. Having a smaller # of Blacks, but ones from multiple Caribbean nations or Hispanics from a range of countries that are not desparate economic migrants is going to be more cosmopolitan feeling than the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
um no...what will happen is that you will have an internal orgasm lasting a full weekend....and no one in Chicago will give a flying ****. Please let us know the date so we can (not) celebrate with you.
I guess at that point Manitopiaa will simply start reverting back to the skyscraper architecture card - an area where Chicago really trumps Toronto..

As for you not caring - you don't have to post in here right?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The fact that Chicago is 62% Hispanic or Black simply means that, and is reflection of the history of white flight and segregation and general abandonment of the city by those with money, that has only turned around in the last 15-20 years or so (that are characteristic of many US cities). That means nothing. Paris is international and cosmopolitan because of the expats, tourists that WANT to live in Paris's historic center and for its culture, not because of the segregated, miserable ghetto project block towers in the suburbs that house the downtrodden Muslims that are breeding grounds for what happened the other week.

Chicagos blacks came from the rural south decades ago, and for the most part would prefer to get out of their neighborhoods. Chicagos hispanic population by and large may be more recent immigrants but are largely from a few specific areas of Mexico. Having a smaller # of Blacks, but ones from multiple Caribbean nations or Hispanics from a range of countries that are not desparate economic migrants is going to be more cosmopolitan feeling than the former.
Chicago has a Hispanic population of 28.9%. Toronto has a Hispanic population of 2.8%. Literally, 1/10th the size of Chicago's. And what evidence do you have that the Hispanic people from Chicago are from a few select areas of Mexico? Sure, Mexicans are the majority of Hispanics, but there are also significant numbers of Puerto Ricans, Guatemalans, Salvadorans, Peruvians, Cubans, etc. all of which dwarf what is found in Torono. Toronto may be more diverse when in comes to Middle Eastern/Asian populations, but Latin American???

Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Chicago has a Hispanic population of 28.9%. Toronto has a Hispanic population of 2.8%. Literally, 1/10th the size of Chicago's. And what evidence do you have that the Hispanic people from Chicago are from a few select areas of Mexico? Sure, Mexicans are the majority of Hispanics, but there are also significant numbers of Puerto Ricans, Guatemalans, Salvadorans, Peruvians, Cubans, etc. all of which dwarf what is found in Torono. Toronto may be more diverse when in comes to Middle Eastern/Asian populations, but Latin American???
This is certainly an area where Chicago is more diverse and that is Latin American... On top of M/E and Asian i'd say the GTA trumps Chicago/metro when it comes to Euro/Caribbean and recent African diversity (as opposed to multigenerational African American).

Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Chicago has led in this poll for a long time. What is left to discuss?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Chicago has led in this poll for a long time. What is left to discuss?
If all there was to C V C was the results of a poll and simply no discussion it wouldn't be very interesting. Its good to discuss these cities from time to time. No city is frozen in time and so when you have dynamic places changing and growing its always good to highlight what is going on in each and drawing comparisons. I like to find out what is new with Chicago and other cities and learn about them (and of course partaking in the back and forth a part of why most of us are in here). I find those things the most interesting aspect of C v C - the results of a poll is the least interesting imo.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
They are both great cities. I know Chicago better, having lived there for 4 years, but have visited Toronto at least a dozen times over the last 5 years or so. Chicago is both worse and better than Toronto. There are bombed out neighborhoods in Chicago's south and west sides that have no equivalent in Toronto, but what Chicago does well, it does better than Toronto. It makes much better use of its waterfront than Toronto. There is nothing like Millennium or Lincoln park in Toronto. The horrible Gardiner expressway in Toronto cuts much of the city off from its waterfront and really should be demolished. Lakeshore drive in Chicago, in contrast, can make a good argument for being one of the most beautiful urban drives in North America.

Chicago is an architecturally magnificent city. Toronto has thrown up many cheap and nasty glass towers in the last decade that have increased its density, but none of them are of any architectural significance. There are many more vibrant, walkable urban neighborhoods in Chicago. Once you leave old Toronto, Toronto gets suburban fast. The city first booms in the 1980s due to the flight of Anglo capital from Montreal. It is not pretty. The great Chicago cultural institutions, and they are better than Toronto's from the Museum of Science and Industry all the way up to the Art Institute are all on the lake. In my experience Chicago is much more visitor friendly than Chicago.

It also has significantly better universities, better museums. Toronto has better Chinese food, especially in Markham and better Caribbean food, for everything else Chicago. Toronto also has stupid liquor laws, the subway shuts early. Toronto feels a little sleepy compared to Chicago.While Queen Street west can be fun, Chicago has more nightlife districts and quite a bit more glitz. What would be Toronto's equivalent to the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Bloor? Chicago has pretty great urban beaches in the heart of the city. You have to go to Toronto island (which is lovely) or head quite far east or west to find equivalent beaches in Toronto.

If it wasn't for the vile winters - I hate the cold, I could happily live in either city. I like Toronto a lot, but I like Chicago more, and think it offers visitors more...

Old 11-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
They are both great cities. I know Chicago better, having lived there for 4 years, but have visited Toronto at least a dozen times over the last 5 years or so. Chicago is both worse and better than Toronto. There are bombed out neighborhoods in Chicago's south and west sides that have no equivalent in Toronto, but what Chicago does well, it does better than Toronto. It makes much better use of its waterfront than Toronto. There is nothing like Millennium or Lincoln park in Toronto. The horrible Gardiner expressway in Toronto cuts much of the city off from its waterfront and really should be demolished. Lakeshore drive in Chicago, in contrast, can make a good argument for being one of the most beautiful urban drives in North America.

Chicago is an architecturally magnificent city. Toronto has thrown up many cheap and nasty glass towers in the last decade that have increased its density, but none of them are of any architectural significance. There are many more vibrant, walkable urban neighborhoods in Chicago. Once you leave old Toronto, Toronto gets suburban fast. The city first booms in the 1980s due to the flight of Anglo capital from Montreal. It is not pretty. The great Chicago cultural institutions, and they are better than Toronto's from the Museum of Science and Industry all the way up to the Art Institute are all on the lake. In my experience Chicago is much more visitor friendly than Chicago.

It also has significantly better universities, better museums. Toronto has better Chinese food, especially in Markham and better Caribbean food, for everything else Chicago. Toronto also has stupid liquor laws, the subway shuts early. Toronto feels a little sleepy compared to Chicago.While Queen Street west can be fun, Chicago has more nightlife districts and quite a bit more glitz. What would be Toronto's equivalent to the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Bloor? Chicago has pretty great urban beaches in the heart of the city. You have to go to Toronto island (which is lovely) or head quite far east or west to find equivalent beaches in Toronto.

If it wasn't for the vile winters - I hate the cold, I could happily live in either city. I like Toronto a lot, but I like Chicago more, and think it offers visitors more...
I think Toronto does festivals better than Chicago - from its larger gay pride and multicultural festivals, arts festivals to large scale international festivals like TIFF. I'd say Toronto even has more music festivals even though Chicago has a few higher profile one's that are larger - Toronto's are just more eclectic. Overall I just think T.O does festivals better. Museums I think its a toss up - although I love love the Art Institute I wasn't impressed with the Field Museum and thought the ROM was better. There's also some quirky and interesting museums like at Casa Loma, Spadina House, The Bata Shoe Museum and Gardiner plus many more. Clearly Chicago has more breadth to its museums as well but not sure it trumps Toronto overall in that regard. Toronto's Aquarium is way more cool as well - Shedd is kinda sleepy and boring. The marine life and presentation of T.O's is just more interactive and fun and the creatures more interesting.

Food wise I think you'll get more multicultural flair across the board in Toronto - particularly mom and pop restaurants that are reflective of the population.. Asian food is huge in Toronto and not just East Asian but also South Indian and Hakka its simply to die for and is strong in Toronto - its an indian/Asian fusion. Chicago has more Michelin ranked restaurants and better fine dining. Better Pizza too..

I disagree that T.O feels more sleep - ESPECIALLY in the DT core after 5 or 6pm.. Outside Old Toronto I would agree it gets suburban pretty quickly.. These areas are often higher density residential nabes where people live and go to work.. You're right about QSW - but also consider Kensington Market.. On top of that, is there a Market like St Lawrence right smack dab in DT Chicago like T.O - I don't think so plus of course you have the Distillery District which houses the largest collection of industrial Victorian architecture in our hemisphere and it straddles DT Toronto - its an awesome place. Chicago also doesn't have a Dundas Sq equivalent in its DT core.. Even though Chicago has more pretty and landscaped civic spaces, I think Dundas Sq trumps Chicago's in terms of interesting characters and events right in the heart of things.. Nightlife isn't limited to QSW either - Bloor especially around the Annex at UofT, College, King St (entertainment district) are pretty hopping in terms of nightlife. Of course Yonge street is pretty sketchy but still an interesting and undeniably super busy pedestrian street that's an interesting walk..

On top of all that - Toronto's DT core alone is growing by 12K residents per year.. Even though condo's may not be architectural triumphs they bring the most important element to the core of the city people and growth.. Since 2006 T.O's DT core has grown by 12K steady per year and this adds to the excitement and street vibe of the heart of the city all the time so I do prefer that strong growth element to T.O..

Certainly the magnificent mile trumps Yorkville for high end shopping but Yorkville is cool in that its not just shops but cafe's, bars and galleries so its certainly more than just Gucci or Prada. Toronto has a large vintage clothing shopping scene along QSW and Ossington - its considered a vintage and unique goods mecca..

Waterfront - yup Chicago does better and while the Gardner is pretty ghastly - it is a huge artery for the city - tough to take it down. Put this way though, does a city NEED a waterfront to be interesting - nope Mexico City slaps both Toronto and Chicago silly in terms of vibrancy and it doesn't need a waterfront to do it - there's more to urban life than a waterfront in many of the worlds most interesting cities. One more thing I prefer about Toronto is its gay villiage which again is right DT you can walk 15 minutes from the CBD and be right in this for example - the largest Halloween Street Party in N.A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUCa0GyqTk

Last edited by fusion2; 11-24-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
fusion I really do hope the Toronto Tourism Bureau gives you a stipend...not that it would be an effective use of Canadian tax dollars...it would at least explain your giddyness.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
fusion I really do hope the Toronto Tourism Bureau gives you a stipend...not that it would be an effective use of Canadian tax dollars...it would at least explain your giddyness.
You're being silly.. You just don't like it when anyone brings up a p.o.v or contributes anything that is different than the narrative you want to hear. If you're not interested in exploring or reading about Toronto than simply feel free to ignore my posts. If others glean some things from my posts and they get ideas when they visit i'm happy with that. Do you want me to start talking about Mexico city, Bangkok or Istanbul and how amazing they are - all three clobber Toronto in my books. I can do that if you like lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City