Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best New England City?
Worcester, MA. 5 16.67%
Lowell, MA. 5 16.67%
Springfield, MA. 0 0%
Manchester, NH. 1 3.33%
Portland, ME. 17 56.67%
Waterburt, CT. 1 3.33%
Cape Cod, MA. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:41 PM

32 posts, read 25,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd go with Lowell. It has commuter rail in/out of Boston (about 45 minutes) and the opportunity for higher wage jobs in a less expensive place should you choose that option. If that's too much of a commute it's an easy choice with Portland.
Have you ever been to Lowell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Burlington,Vermont home of UVM

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
Burlington is full of hippies.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
The city of Springfield itself is a big sh'hole indeed. BUT the general metro area is actually quite nice. Northampton is a very nice little fun city and will totally give you a quintessential New England experience. There are not many jobs in the area, but I am not sure what you would be doing for work.

Waterbury is just as bad as Springfield IMO.

There are also other very small cities that are cute and fun, such as Brattleboro, VT, Pittsfield, MA, Middletown, CT, and I would even say Groton, CT, if you want a coastal experience.

If you don't mind extreme traffic and extremely high cost of living, I would also recommend Norwalk, CT. I lived there for two years and thought it was a nice city, although I ultimately didn't like the Fairfield County metro area.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I didn't bring this up in your other thread because your list of cities was narrower and I figured there were specific reasons they appealed to you, but have you thought about Providence? It provided to be the right choice for me. Extensive bus system, near beaches, surprisingly low crime for a city with its size and density, plenty of nightlife. It doesn't win on economy, but that's improving and, as someone else pointed out, neither do the other cities. Centrally located, too -- you could take a day trip to any of those other places, except Portland, which is a little far.
I've thought of Providence but I' will have to look into it. The unemployment rate is higher in Providence as well as Springfield. Also Springfield is crime ridden which makes it off the list. I'm still unsure of Providence though.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
I've thought of Providence but I' will have to look into it. The unemployment rate is higher in Providence as well as Springfield. Also Springfield is crime ridden which makes it off the list. I'm still unsure of Providence though.
Providence does really well in terms of walkability and public transportation. It also has commuter rail service to Boston and PVD Airport. What kind of work would you be looking for? Unemployment rates are only one part of the story, there may be enough jobs to go around, but it just largely depends on what kind of work you are looking for.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-30-2015 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Why New England?
Because we're awesome and the OP wants to come be awesome with us.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Because we're awesome and the OP wants to come be awesome with us.
You guys are awesome and I can't wait to move there and enjoy life and revel in all the beauty and awesomeness of New England. I get more excited everyday.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 AM

93,382 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Providence does really well in terms of walkability and public transportation. It also has commuter rail service to Boston and PVD Airport. What kind of work would you be looking for? Unemployment rates are only one part of the story, there may be enough jobs to go around, but it just largely depends on what kind of work you are looking for.
I think Communications based work, as I believe that was mentioned in the other thread.

OP, are the demographics of the city/area important? I only ask because you mentioned that you are African American in the other thread.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Waterburt? Haha. I like that better than Waterbury.
Why is Waterbury even mentioned on here. Probably the best city in CT to start over is New Haven. I'm strictly referring to Downtown New Haven because the outer neighborhoods are very dangerous. There's a good nightlife in downtown because of all the colleges in New Haven like Yale, SSCU, etc. Stamford, CT could be another CT possibility as well because of its close proximity to NYC and the huge young professional population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City