Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown Atlanta sucks but the nearby neighborhoods are cool though. Midtown is nice and adjacent areas.
Quote:
Huh? Parking lots and panhandlers? Hooter's? Nah, Downtown San Jose is so much like a perfect Manhattan
Wow yeah look at all these parking lots. Downtown Atlanta might as well be a suburb. Coulda fooled me. Bet it fooled everyone else too.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZrrH1PQCKdS2
https://goo.gl/maps/rfGjbPejAc92
https://goo.gl/maps/xEBu6aDCwD52
https://goo.gl/maps/6Wp1BBXTddr

I see a lot more than parking lots, panhandlers, and Hooter's...but I guess maybe I just have bad eyesight because everything you say is correct. My bad.

Also. A perfect Manhattan is literally Manhattan. Wtf are you talking about? Get over yourself, dude. You sound pathetic. Nobody believes you and all you do is make everyone hate SJ even more than we did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Did you you really go Downtown SJ? Did you go to San Pedro Sq, SoFA, Paseo De San Antonio and 1st. corridor? How about State University area or Japantown? What about Alameda st. area with wholefoods/Mission Creak beer place? Lastly, did you go to Market Center on Coleman? Are you really serious? You don't like this downtown? You didn't like to go on a electric scooter around downtown or take Brewbike to beer places downtown? Bet you didn't even see Little Italy: charming but small.
Japantown is NOT Downtown SJ. What's so great around SJSU? The Whole Foods on Alameda is NOT Downtown SJ. But also why should someone be impressed by a single story Whole Foods on a boring block? Nobody cares about electric scooters. What about, you know, taking normal public transit like normal people? There are some nice parts of Downtown SJ, but for a city of over 1 million anchoring a metro even larger, it's tiny and boring.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Japantown is NOT Downtown SJ. What's so great around SJSU? The Whole Foods on Alameda is NOT Downtown SJ. But also why should someone be impressed by a single story Whole Foods on a boring block? Nobody cares about electric scooters. What about, you know, taking normal public transit like normal people? There are some nice parts of Downtown SJ, but for a city of over 1 million anchoring a metro even larger, it's tiny and boring.
When were you in downtown? SJ St. is a great hangout: great public gathering at Student Union and Campus Village. Google it. You don't know nothing about WholeFoods and its ambiance from Jersey. There's Mission Creek on 2nd floor with a craft market on every other Sat. in the isle. There's a smoothy bar in the back. Yes, it's in downtown, next to SAP arena, silly. Get out of Jersey blah and check out SJ to see what I meant. Downtown SJ is off the hook these days!!!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Japantown is in downtown's frame area, too. You see, downtown is not a city but like a whole country: Little Italy, Japantown, Alameda, Market Center on Coleman, Naglee, SoFA, San Pedro, SJ. State, Historic District, Paseo De San Antonio, Post St., Cultural district, and core.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Ok well if you can include areas beyond downtown SJ, then Atlanta can include Midtown and Buckhead which puts Atlanta above and beyond better than SJ hands down.

If you search "downtown San Jose" on Google Maps, Whole foods is actually not directly in downtown either. It's across the street from it. But you like to extend boundaries when it suits you and SJ, but confine every other downtown to its EXACT boundaries. Can't have it both ways, bud. Atlanta's Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead act as one large urban core of Atlanta. Downtown SJ has Downtown, and then a few mostly suburban areas surrounding it. Absolutely nothing like how Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead function together.

Also, FYI, I used to live in SF and visited SJ enough to know it sucks. Tyvm. You're not convincing anyone. I've traveled plenty within this country and internationally to know that SJ is a very unimpressive downtown, especially considering its size. And if you want to continually put down other cities and states, try not to put down Jersey City. You'll lose every time. I promise. It's basically more or less a suburb of NYC and still infinitely better than SJ in every single possible way. And let's not get started on also adding in Hoboken as the urban core of Hudson County. Hoboken + JC combine to form one of the best urban areas in the country, something that SJ couldn't even dream of.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Wow yeah look at all these parking lots. Downtown Atlanta might as well be a suburb. Coulda fooled me. Bet it fooled everyone else too.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZrrH1PQCKdS2
https://goo.gl/maps/rfGjbPejAc92
https://goo.gl/maps/xEBu6aDCwD52
https://goo.gl/maps/6Wp1BBXTddr

I see a lot more than parking lots, panhandlers, and Hooter's...but I guess maybe I just have bad eyesight because everything you say is correct. My bad.

Also. A perfect Manhattan is literally Manhattan. Wtf are you talking about? Get over yourself, dude. You sound pathetic. Nobody believes you and all you do is make everyone hate SJ even more than we did before.
Come on man! Bunch of parking lots through out downtown. Nice try. Downtown Atlanta sucks.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ok well if you can include areas beyond downtown SJ, then Atlanta can include Midtown and Buckhead which puts Atlanta above and beyond better than SJ hands down.

If you search "downtown San Jose" on Google Maps, Whole foods is actually not directly in downtown either. It's across the street from it. But you like to extend boundaries when it suits you and SJ, but confine every other downtown to its EXACT boundaries. Can't have it both ways, bud. Atlanta's Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead act as one large urban core of Atlanta. Downtown SJ has Downtown, and then a few mostly suburban areas surrounding it. Absolutely nothing like how Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead function together.

Also, FYI, I used to live in SF and visited SJ enough to know it sucks. Tyvm. You're not convincing anyone. I've traveled plenty within this country and internationally to know that SJ is a very unimpressive downtown, especially considering its size. And if you want to continually put down other cities and states, try not to put down Jersey City. You'll lose every time. I promise. It's basically more or less a suburb of NYC and still infinitely better than SJ in every single possible way. And let's not get started on also adding in Hoboken as the urban core of Hudson County. Hoboken + JC combine to form one of the best urban areas in the country, something that SJ couldn't even dream of.
Jersey City: classic sterile edge city wannabe city, bro. It's not even good as Orange County, Ca. Just an offshoot of NY, especially after 9/11. Do appreciate that it's still adding some high rise residentials.

All your reference to SJ downtown is to the past, not current. You'll won't even recognize it. It'll take on Manhattan, too, any day. Midtown? Uptown? Lower East Side? Downtown? Lower Manhattan? Any, doesn't matter because Downtown SJ smokes them all.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:36 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Jersey City: classic sterile edge city wannabe city, bro.
Jersey City could never be an edge city: it was a major employment and commercial hub before World War II, and its downtown is organized around the mass transit hub of Journal Square (named for the city's long-defunct daily, the Jersey Journal).

I haven't yet walked around Journal Square (I usually am headed to Newark or Manhattan when I pass through it on PATH), but I suspect that were I to do so, "sterile" would not be the word that springs to mind.

However, if it dies at 5 like Downtown Kansas City did from the 70s up until very, very recently, then perhaps the word would qualify. "Edge city," however, would never be a proper label for the place. You find those near freeway interchanges or in highly autocentric environments.

(Though I think Garreau did classify Kansas City's Country Club Plaza area as one. This actually makes some sense, as the shopping center is definitely an Auto Age development. It just doesn't look like one as we've come to expect those to look.)

Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Jersey City could never be an edge city: it was a major employment and commercial hub before World War II, and its downtown is organized around the mass transit hub of Journal Square (named for the city's long-defunct daily, the Jersey Journal).

I haven't yet walked around Journal Square (I usually am headed to Newark or Manhattan when I pass through it on PATH), but I suspect that were I to do so, "sterile" would not be the word that springs to mind.

However, if it dies at 5 like Downtown Kansas City did from the 70s up until very, very recently, then perhaps the word would qualify. "Edge city," however, would never be a proper label for the place. You find those near freeway interchanges or in highly autocentric environments.

(Though I think Garreau did classify Kansas City's Country Club Plaza area as one. This actually makes some sense, as the shopping center is definitely an Auto Age development. It just doesn't look like one as we've come to expect those to look.)
No life once so ever in heart of Downtown Jersey City. This place is just an after thought. However, I do applaud Newark Street for its effort to close the street to auto traffic for outdoor dining and pedestrian walking experience and the city expanding it this year. Still, it just meh with some vacancies. Hoboken is where things are at.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No life once so ever in heart of Downtown Jersey City. This place is just an after thought. However, I do applaud Newark Street for its effort to close the street to auto traffic for outdoor dining and pedestrian walking experience and the city expanding it this year. Still, it just meh with some vacancies. Hoboken is where things are at.
This is hilarious. Clearly from someone who's never been to Jersey City. If you've ever walked around Grove St or Journal Square stations, you'd know there is tons going on. Lots of new restaurants and bars. There area always people walking around, going to dinner, going bar hopping. NYC restaurants would not be opening locations in Jersey City if it was a boring edge city with no culture.

NY Times talking about the best pizza in NYC...being in JC.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/d...rsey-city.html

Everyone knows that NYC-focused sites don't like to portray anything positive about NJ, but here is an article from NY Eater.
https://ny.eater.com/2017/5/30/15641...rant-evolution

Again, from Gothamist.
"Yes, we are posting another article about the exciting food and drink culture happening across the river in New Jersey. But Jersey City is not the shore or the suburbs—it's practically New York City. Condos are rising, Citibikes are installed, and exciting restaurant and bars continue to open in what many are now calling the sixth borough. We could be NYC snobs and choose to ignore the exciting culture out in JC, but then we'd miss out on a treasure trove of interesting dining and drinking options.

Jersey City is actually a large metropolis, so it's impossible to cover all the great food in the many neighborhoods in one article."
A Food & Drink Tour Of Jersey City: Gothamist

Again from the Times.
"This vibrant scene is at the heart of Jersey City’s revival. But it has also made way for large and rowdy nightclub-like spots along Newark Avenue near the PATH train station. These bars, often owned by companies with multiple properties, may well price out the indie upstarts and Brooklyn exiles.

“In my opinion, Jersey City downtown is only two to three years away from becoming Hoboken,” said Danny Harrison, a Jersey City resident and vice president for real estate at B&D Holdings, “which will significantly increase the real estate value but will take away from the flair and uniqueness of Jersey City.”"
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/n...rsey-city.html

Jersey City is also the most ethnically diverse city in the country. Hoboken might have a rowdier crowd of 20- and 30-somethings that never grew out of their frat life phase, but Jersey City is the more cultural of the two.
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...y-shows-021418

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I live in Journal Square actually. It's definitely not as lively as Downtown JC, but there are ALWAYS people out here. Anytime I get home from the city on a weekend night, there are dozens of other people getting off the stop with me, walking through the PATH plaza, etc. There are a lot of restaurants in the area, though Downtown still has the better options. But tbh, it could be argued that JC has two downtown, the new and the old. JSQ being the old, Grove being the new. Newark Ave is Little India and there is always something going on there. Night time through that is crazy busy with people going to dinner and shopping.

This is honestly a HORRIBLE Street View. Normally this street's packed, but it looks like this when I leave for work in the morning. Everything opens later in the day and stays open late.
https://goo.gl/maps/XGW6jvFzVYT2

Newark Ave further east.
https://goo.gl/maps/SF46LCecN3J2

South of the PATH station on JFK/Sip/Bergen.
https://goo.gl/maps/P9xM78KrG8C2
https://goo.gl/maps/MzZFHdb1kem

And since we're only talking about downtowns, I'm not even going to get into a discussion of The Heights. Central Ave has an extreme diversity of cuisines and new bars popping up there. And while Central is the main retail/dining corridor through The Heights, JFK, Summit, and Palisade all have pockets of diverse eateries and bars as well. So this is more in response to Jersey City being an edge city. Not as much downtown, because The Heights is definitely not Downtown. That's currently Grove St Station, but give JSQ some time, and that could EASILY change thanks to the layout and building size of JSQ, plus its capacity to handle more buses/trains thanks to literally one of only three PATH Bus Stations in the region (the others being PATH Midtown and PATH GW Bridge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City