Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about here. Downtown Atlanta and the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to it are currently the hottest tickets in town.
My daughter lives near downtown San Jose. She says meh. I say meh, too. It's too bad that it couldn't hold on to more of its original Victorian character. Alas.
Downtown Atlanta sucks but the nearby neighborhoods are cool though. Midtown is nice and adjacent areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Yes I was downtown. Went to Japantown and went around the university. There was a large park where we took left over boxed lunches to the homeless. Every Uber driver we talked to said they couldn’t wait to move out of state because of the high cost of living. Most were looking to move to Oregon, Nevada and Utah. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t impressed at all. The hotel we stayed at, Hotel Valencia, was nice though.
Very understandable: costs are waaaay too high. Needs to come down to point of being cheaper than San Diego and Los Angeles which would be the real cost level since they have better weather and beaches. SJ price point should be similar to Denver, which would be the real value of SJ.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown Atlanta sucks but the nearby neighborhoods are cool though. Midtown is nice and adjacent areas.
1990 just called. They want their POV back.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

505 posts, read 584,498 times
Phoenix

Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Dallas and Phoenix

Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City
Charlotte
Austin
Orlando

Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City
Charlotte
Austin
Orlando
Apparently Sterile = Clean and attractive. I'll take it.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Apparently Sterile = Clean and attractive. I'll take it.
Sterile should be clean .... as humans are less making a possible mess with litter and attractive more from a distance till one is there. Then it can take on a look as if some calamitous, catastrophic event occurred to kill all humans.

No city cores that manage clean, green, flowers, outdoor seating by eateries and street-level offerings to get people out on them sidewalks ..... that is TOPS.... is the term - sterile then used? Of course not. Lack of better planning and guidelines has had some cities allow large parking garages to further add to their cores sterile look.

Perhaps it is if the shoe fits perspective. But aspects of improvement the boast they have left and sterile is just fine comment....

Many a street-view over months and years continually show sterile in some city cores over others. Especially when there is NO time of day blocks full of banal parking garages .... will show street-life in the worst offenders.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Sterile should be clean .... as humans are less making a possible mess with litter and attractive more from a distance till one is there. Then it can take on a look as if some calamitous, catastrophic event occurred to kill all humans.

No city cores that manage clean, green, flowers, outdoor seating by eateries and street-level offerings to get people out on them sidewalks ..... that is TOPS.... is the term - sterile then used? Of course not. Lack of better planning and guidelines has had some cities allow large parking garages to further add to their cores sterile look.

Perhaps it is if the shoe fits perspective. But aspects of improvement the boast they have left and sterile is just fine comment....

Many a street-view over months and years continually show sterile in some city cores over others. Especially when there is NO time of day blocks full of banal parking garages .... will show street-life in the worst offenders.
That rather muddled description fits none of those cities.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
That rather muddled description fits none of those cities.
I could mention the cities the good vibrant ones have and do best. But most know who visit the differences. Do you really believe your sterile but clean .... fits them cities to a T?

Actually, I'm thinking of a few other cities when I think of large banal parking garages aplenty, street-view's that never show a busy sidewalk and your - sterile comment fits more for. I could be dared to say which cores.... I left it at if the shoe fits for anyone who sees theirs might?

The previous list are smaller cities and metro's too. Over a few larger ones I'm thinking of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City