Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

just to add to the thread, charlotte is hosting the all star game next year and they're building all types of buildings/parking decks/etc to support the incoming crowds...also they're expanding the trains. just thought i'd throw that in there to help ppl make a decision.

lastly, gentrification is happening all over the city so a lot of stuff now will be torn down and replaced shortly. some places already have been torn down. condos and skyscrapers will replace the buildings in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
just to add to the thread, charlotte is hosting the all star game next year and they're building all types of buildings/parking decks/etc to support the incoming crowds...also they're expanding the trains. just thought i'd throw that in there to help ppl make a decision.

lastly, gentrification is happening all over the city so a lot of stuff now will be torn down and replaced shortly. some places already have been torn down. condos and skyscrapers will replace the buildings in these areas.
Wow that's amazing. Charlotte is really taking off. Are any notable retail developments happening downtown? The area seemed to be devoid of it the last time I was there.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Charlotte is a step ahead of all these in pro sports, transit, livability, weather, and walkability. Also in metro size.

That said, Nashville to me is the coolest and hippest of the bunch, and it is not even close.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:13 PM

74 posts, read 151,708 times
Stonewall20Front_January2016_zpswgrxewg4.jpg Photo by wblangston | Photobucket

This stonewall project has broken ground and is expected to begin the retail scene uptown has been begging to have.
There is also a rumor Simon property group, owner of upscale south park mall, is interested in redeveloping the old charlotte observer building. It would increase the retail options along Stonewall.
Tyron place is another proposed building that would be a long this general area that will have ground retail spaces.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.villa.- View Post
Stonewall20Front_January2016_zpswgrxewg4.jpg Photo by wblangston | Photobucket

This stonewall project has broken ground and is expected to begin the retail scene uptown has been begging to have.
There is also a rumor Simon property group, owner of upscale south park mall, is interested in redeveloping the old charlotte observer building. It would increase the retail options along Stonewall.
Tyron place is another proposed building that would be a long this general area that will have ground retail spaces.
Very nice addition, and much needed. That Whole Foods will be very busy, once completed, given the daytime workforce. I'm also glad Simon has taken interest in redevelopment there as well. The area could support high end retail downtown, something similar to the Domain in Austin or City Creek Center in Salt Lake City, which are very successful developments.

City Creek

The Domain® - A Shopping Center In Austin, TX 78758-8694 - A Simon Property

Nashville is expected to have major retail developments in the old Mazda dealership downtown, as well as the old convention center, and just recently announced the LifeWay headquarters. This does not include all of the mixed use developments going on close by in Midtown, the Gulch, East Nashville, Germantown etc. The National Museum of African American Music will be housed in the old convention center redevelopment.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places...s/47/nashville

http://nmaam.org/see-our-progress/

LifeWay's 15-acre campus sold for $125M cash

Mixed-use project eyed for Broadway Nelson Mazda

Old 02-23-2016, 12:06 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Prefer Nashville, Charlotte isn't cool, Indy is just Alright

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 18,132 times
Just want to add that location is great for Charlotte. Roughly an hour from Asheville. Three hours from the beach. The Piedmont of North Carolina just there, with much better institutes of higher ed as a state than Tennessee.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Very nice addition, and much needed. That Whole Foods will be very busy, once completed, given the daytime workforce. I'm also glad Simon has taken interest in redevelopment there as well. The area could support high end retail downtown, something similar to the Domain in Austin or City Creek Center in Salt Lake City, which are very successful developments.

City Creek

The Domain® - A Shopping Center In Austin, TX 78758-8694 - A Simon Property

Nashville is expected to have major retail developments in the old Mazda dealership downtown, as well as the old convention center, and just recently announced the LifeWay headquarters. This does not include all of the mixed use developments going on close by in Midtown, the Gulch, East Nashville, Germantown etc. The National Museum of African American Music will be housed in the old convention center redevelopment.

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places...s/47/nashville

NMAAM | The National Museum of African American Music » See Our Progress

LifeWay's 15-acre campus sold for $125M cash

Mixed-use project eyed for Broadway Nelson Mazda
I am honestly just shocked you have the ability to talk positively about an Indianapolis based company.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:38 AM

80 posts, read 79,557 times
Charlotte all the way. Nashville has some nice entertainment options, but they are much more expensive and touristy. Charlotte is the place you wanna live. Indianapolis is kind of meh.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times
Charlotte and Nashville are peas in a pod. So many similarities. Nashville definitely wins the cool factor though. I think Charlotte offers more of the "big city" amenities (e.g. rail transit, dominant airport, big GDP for size), but Nashville's the better place to order a good whiskey, which is important for me. I like both and wish they could combine into one city. I really want an NHL team.

I've never been to Indy, so I can't comment on it. Certainly on paper it appears to be a peer city. I'm sure it's lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City