Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 03:15 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

@u146, told on yourself---there is no such thing as "Northeast Virginia"....

The rest of your diatribe isn't worth responding to. No one said Virginia wasn't Southern...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
SC...? Climate, southern, yellow pines make me think more of SC.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I've been all over Virginia. From Southwest Virginia to Northeast Virginia. The restaurants I ate at served sweet tea, the accents were Southern, as they are indicated to be on the dialect maps, etc. And there were many Confederate memorials all over the state. Virginia is not a Northern state like Pennsylvania. So there's my synopsis. The culture of Virginia outside of NOVA is very much Southern, as are the linguistics. That's about all there is to say. Not satisfied? I've been to 40 states, every Southern state and many of the Northern ones. And I've heard people from Richmond speak on TV...the accents are undeniably Southern. It's very simple. If you don't like facts, then you have an axe to grind with me, and it appears you don't.
What about the Richmond County accent?

Old 02-26-2016, 05:13 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@u146, told on yourself---there is no such thing as "Northeast Virginia"....

The rest of your diatribe isn't worth responding to. No one said Virginia wasn't Southern...
Might've meant the Eastern Shore.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Why do people like U146 get so angry when any southern state has a similarity to a northern one?

I just don't get it. Must be some deep-seeded bias against northerners.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Might've meant the Eastern Shore.
Which is not northeastern Virginia.

Quote:
Must be some deep-seeded bias against northerners.
U146 is from Missouri and doesn't know much about the east, though the poster pretends to. S/he makes claims about Philly but has never even been there.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Why do people like U146 get so angry when any southern state has a similarity to a northern one?

The real question is how does one travel all parts of VA, see every nook of DC, trek all parts of Baltimore and the rest of MD (along with studying its culture and politics), skip Philadelphia and resume your travels by seeing NJ and New York? His charts, diagrams, and calculations no doubt to him that Baltimore=Philly (along with DC, NYC, and Boston). The guy obviously teaches at the University of Missouri.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
What about the Richmond County accent?
Ive heard it. It's Southern. Much more like North Carolina than Pennsylvania.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Which is not northeastern Virginia.

U146 is from Missouri and doesn't know much about the east, though the poster pretends to. S/he makes claims about Philly but has never even been there.
I'm not just making claims. I'm using solid sources to back my opinion up.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

I'm not angry. This thread has suddenly turned to everyone attacking me. It was all of you attempting to say Virginia is more like Pennsylvania than another Southern state that drove me over the edge. All of you know the dialect maps I presented are solid irrefutable evidence of what is and what isnt. I've heard a Philadelphia accent on TV. This stupid idea that one needs to visit a place to form an opinion on it is a complete load of crap. All of you attacking me do it because you've been hit by the truth and it hurts. You know where you can stick your personal attacks. That's all any of you have. I have facts, not opinions, on my side.

Last edited by U146; 02-26-2016 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City