Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Maryland is Southern only in that it's South of the Mason Dixon line. Western Maryland is like Southwest Pennsylvania culturally linguistically and demographically. I agree that Southern MD and the Eastern shore are Southern but that's the minority of the state. The rest of the state is culturally and linguistically Northern. If you think Maryland is an overall Southern state today you've never been to the South or looked at a linguistics map.
You say this and yet you attempt to defeat any argument about Virginia having similarities to PA by clinging to its southern history.

WOT, MATE!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,064 times
Quote:
Maryland is Southern only in that it's South of the Mason Dixon line. Western Maryland is like Southwest Pennsylvania culturally linguistically and demographically. I agree that Southern MD and the Eastern shore are Southern but that's the minority of the state. The rest of the state is culturally and linguistically Northern. If you think Maryland is an overall Southern state today you've never been to the South or looked at a linguistics map.
How is Anne Arundel County northern? Since you've been.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I've never been there. But I've seen numerous TV interviews of local people from Richmond. They sounded very Southern. And I know people from Richmond who tell me it's Southern and have Southern accents. And dialect maps place Richmond firmly in the South. You don't need to visit a city to have a well informed opinion of it like all you crazy people on here claim.

Richmond and Richmond County are NOT the same place (they aren't even next to reach other)! This is why I asked you about it. You cannot make claims about a place to which you have never been and then get mad when those who have been to the place disagree with you!

Old 02-27-2016, 06:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Richmond and Richmond County are NOT the same place (they aren't even next to reach other) ! This is why I asked you about it. You cannot make claims about a place to which you have never been and then get mad when those who have been to the place disagree with you!
I have facts backing my opinion up though. Linguistic studies trump personal experience every time.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
How is Anne Arundel County northern? Since you've been.
Culturally and linguistically it's Not the South.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You say this and yet you attempt to defeat any argument about Virginia having similarities to PA by clinging to its southern history.

WOT, MATE!?
I'm not clinging to it's Southern history. Culture linguistics demographics AND history prove its nothing like Pennsylvania. Yet you ignore these important factors and continue your arguments. Lunacy.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You are wasting my time now.

So tell me, how long did you live in Louisiana for? For that matter how long did you live in Virginia for? How about Pennsylvania?

I've lived in all three. Have you?
I've been to Louisiana many times. I have family there. I've also visited Virginia and Pennsylvania numerous times. To say that Virginia is more similar to a Northern state than a Southern one is lunacy. I'm wasting your time? You're the one who seems to think culture linguistics demographics etc. don't matter. Clearly YOU are wasting my time.

Last edited by U146; 02-27-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Culturally and linguistically it's Not the South.
Linguistically, yes.
https://www15.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/images/diausa.gif

http://www2.leeward.hawaii.edu/hurle...dialectsus.gif

It is far removed from the linguistic North. Why do you care if you are from the Midwest, anyway?

Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
I've been to Louisiana many times. I've also visited Virginia and Pennsylvania numerous times. To say that Virginia is more similar to a Northern state than a Southern one is lunacy. I'm wasting your time? You're the one who seems to think culture linguistics demographics etc. don't matter. Clearly YOU are wasting my time.
Well you aren't actually paying any attention to what I'm saying at all. None. Zero. Zip. Nilch. Nadda.

You are literally not reading a single thing I say. No, no, allow me to correct that, you aren't comprehending anything I say.

You are literally reading my words and taking the meaning you want from them rather than the meaning I present.

I could say, "Birds make Charlie feel like a whacky banana man" and you'd take it as, "Virignia is as northern as New Hampshire and U146 is a wrongy wrong."

You are literally not paying any attention to what I say.

Want to know how I came to this conclusion? I have not once, at all, ever said that Virginia was northern or more similar to the north than the south.

I said Virginia had more immediate similarities to PA than Louisiana, but in that same breath I also said it shared more similarities with Kentucky and North Carolina. Southern states. I also said it was more similar to West Virginia than Louisiana, arguably southern as well!

I said Virginia has similarities to Pennsylvania yet in that same breath I also stated that Virginia is still overall a southern state. In that having similarities to a northern state does not negate its southern characteristics.

You have, several times now, accused me of claiming that Virginia is not southern and claiming it was more like PA than any other southern state.

You are not paying any attention. My time: wasted. I am done with you now. Go feel like the victor now, I know you will.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I have facts backing my opinion up though. Linguistic studies trump personal experience every time.
Looking at linguistics maps, one would observe that 50-80% of Maryland is southern. Let's say 2/3.
Linguistics do not tell the whole story, though. It does not matter what a map says, there are other ways for Virginia to be more like Pennsylvania than South Carolina.

But here you are lying about the linguistic location of Anne Arundel County. You also claim this whole "cultural" thing without proof as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City