Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 05:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Ive heard it. It's Southern. Much more like North Carolina than Pennsylvania.
What brought you to Richmond county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:13 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I can see some very general characteristics shared between Richmond and Columbia, but that's it. I don't think they're very similar at all, you definitely pick up a different vibe in each city. In Columbia, you're unquestionably in the South and you can tell. Richmond sits on the fence between the Upper South and Mid-Atlantic, with a gritty vibe that Columbia lacks. To top it off, Columbia isn't as historic, and feels like a more southern version of Raleigh if Research Triangle Park never existed. Not to mention Richmond feeling much larger, while I'm often surprised that Columbia is so small whenever I visit.

Still sticking with VA feeling more like PA today, but SC historically. Even NC and SC aren't that similar, SC is a lot more like GA.
Columbia was founded in 1786 and was the largest inland city in the Carolinas in the 1850's and 1860s.

The decision for SC to become the first state to secede was made in Columbia in a 159-0 vote in FIrst Baptist Church which survived the Civil War. That seems pretty historic.

Columbia had many conventons and meetings during the Civil war with confederates coming from several states. It also had a prisoner of war camp.

General SHerman after taking Savannah decided to take Columbia rather than Charleston because he viewed it as the biggest prize in the south to hurt confederate morale,, because the decision to secede started there.

I beleve USC is one of the oldest colleges in the country, founded in 1801, and its graduates were a big part of the secession movement. It was considered the leading teaching insttutonion the south back then, according to Wikipedia

Two state capitals of the confederacy are more similar than Richmond and any PA city. Do you think Harrisburg is more similar to Richmond and why.

Charleston was the major city in the colonial southeast in the Revolution and obvously played a big role in that war. Charleston and Richmond also have a lot in common.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-27-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 05:51 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@u146, told on yourself---there is no such thing as "Northeast Virginia"....

The rest of your diatribe isn't worth responding to. No one said Virginia wasn't Southern...
Fine. You're not worth my time either.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
What brought you to Richmond county?
I've never been there. But I've seen numerous TV interviews of local people from Richmond. They sounded very Southern. And I know people from Richmond who tell me it's Southern and have Southern accents. And dialect maps place Richmond firmly in the South. You don't need to visit a city to have a well informed opinion of it like all you crazy people on here claim.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I can see some very general characteristics shared between Richmond and Columbia, but that's it. I don't think they're very similar at all, you definitely pick up a different vibe in each city. In Columbia, you're unquestionably in the South and you can tell. Richmond sits on the fence between the Upper South and Mid-Atlantic, with a gritty vibe that Columbia lacks. To top it off, Columbia isn't as historic, and feels like a more southern version of Raleigh if Research Triangle Park never existed. Not to mention Richmond feeling much larger, while I'm often surprised that Columbia is so small whenever I visit.

Still sticking with VA feeling more like PA today, but SC historically. Even NC and SC aren't that similar, SC is a lot more like GA.
VA may feel more like PA in terms of landscape but that's about it.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Landscape wise and as far as accents go, the only Northern accents in Virginia are located in NOVA. The rest of the state speaks with a Southern accent. As far as climate zones go, so what? These are not major factors in grouping VA with PA over Louisiana. The accents of the majority of the Virginia, the culture, history, etc. are all more in line with Louisiana than Virginia. So to say Virginia is more like Pennsylvania than Louisiana is to ignore the majority of factors important in defining regions.
You are wasting my time now.

So tell me, how long did you live in Louisiana for? For that matter how long did you live in Virginia for? How about Pennsylvania?

I've lived in all three. Have you?

Old 02-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
But Maryland IS a Southern state. Have you ever been to Eastern Shore or Western Maryland?

You are ruining your own premise.
Maryland is Southern only in that it's South of the Mason Dixon line. Western Maryland is like Southwest Pennsylvania culturally linguistically and demographically. I agree that Southern MD and the Eastern shore are Southern but that's the minority of the state. The rest of the state is culturally and linguistically Northern. If you think Maryland is an overall Southern state today you've never been to the South or looked at a linguistics map.

Last edited by U146; 02-27-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 06:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
South Carolina and Virginia have the aristocrat heritage.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I will say that you can make an argument that areas like Winchester, VA and maybe even Staunton is more similar to Central Pennsylvania than it is to South Carolina.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Western SC, VA, and PA are all pretty similar looking because of the Applachians running through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City