Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The biggest problem I have with Houstons new development is that they are building way to many parking garages. They are pretty much eyesores. Sky house is a perfect example.
Better than parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 10:56 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Houston could make a few tweaks in the new developments to make it more urban. Larger sidewalks would be a big step. City planners haven't figured out if they want to suburban or urban. They still think it's a small town or everything revolves around one aspect of transportation. The biggest problem I have with Houstons new development is that they are building way to many parking garages. They are pretty much eyesores. Sky house is a perfect example.
I don't think wider sidewalks would help really. What would help is not putting suburban style apartments, next to office park, next to suburban style apartment. A lack of zoning may be part of it but don't Houstonians generally prefer the lack of zoning?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
sooo basically they are saying that Houston is becoming LA without any of the positive attributes of LA like a beach(and no the "beach" near Houston doesn't count), open minded people, iconic buildings and attractions that attract millions of visitors, Hollywood, or great weather? Okay so now you are now left with a sprawling swampy city that is completely flat, full of bugs and covered in humidity...but now you can add copious amounts smog from all of the traffic. Sounds delightful!

Houston is actually very family friendly with lots of parks and the zoo. Weather is good in the winter months. Houston is quite liberal for Texas so I would say people are relatively open minded. The city is very diverse, even more diverse than LA. Roads are nice. Visit first! Judge after! I mean I still like LA a lot better, but Houston does have positive attributes including cheap taxes and no state income tax.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1321089.html

I think a lot of people especially CA biased people will be shocked to see that a place outside of CA could be more diverse.

Last edited by vdy1985; 03-17-2016 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Visit first! Judge after!
They should make this a sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I don't think wider sidewalks would help really. What would help is not putting suburban style apartments, next to office park, next to suburban style apartment. A lack of zoning may be part of it but don't Houstonians generally prefer the lack of zoning?
Yeah I'm not sure. Houston definitely is NOT a walkable city. Very few walkable areas.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure. Houston definitely is NOT a walkable city. Very few walkable areas.
...relatively speaking.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
...relatively speaking.
Yeah, I mean I didn't get a chance to check out the more walkable areas myself. But just cruising through different areas of the city I didn't see a whole lot. But then again it is a huge city!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
What are exactly suburban style apartments? Are they the apartments wrapped around parking lots and large yards surrounding them? If so, those aren't getting built inside the loop.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What are exactly suburban style apartments?
Garden apartments, I'm assuming:

http://www.bozzuto.com/system/proper...jpg?1412027490

It seems like every Sunbelt city is building similar things in their core.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Better than parking lots.
True but I like one of the new alexan apartments that is getting built in downtown. The parking is under the building. Out of sight and out of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City