Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston has a hybrid of Baton Rouge, Miami, Mobile, Orlando, New Orleans, and Atlanta to me.
LOL, what the?!? Might as well just throw Astana, Kazakhstan in there too, while you're at it...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Bonus: Santa Monica at the end of the new Expo Line. If you turn 180 and squint...you can see the entrance to the Santa Monica Pier!

Old 03-18-2016, 12:46 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Houston has a hybrid of Baton Rouge, Miami, Mobile, Orlando, New Orleans, and Atlanta to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
LOL, what the?!? Might as well just throw Astana, Kazakhstan in there too, while you're at it...lol.
If SouthernBoy switched Miami with Tampa, I'd be inclined to agree with what he's saying. Houston shares a lot of similarities from a scenery and development standpoint with other cities on the Gulf Coast. New Orleans itself is way too unique and has a much more densely-built environment than those other cities mentioned, but the joke about Houston being "Metairie [suburb of NO] on Steroids" has some truth and accuracy to it. Westheimer Blvd looks a lot like Dale Mabry Highway and Kennedy Blvd in Tampa and the nicer parts of Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando. Airline Hwy in Baton Rouge looks like a slightly more countrified version of FM 1960...

Obviously, there are differences between Florida, Texas, and Louisiana, but the similarities between Houston and other major cities on the Gulf Coast.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Well, I did say "To me."

Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Well, I did say "To me."
Yeah but you never explained why. I get some of the cities but how does Houston remind you of Miami or New Orleans?

Old 03-18-2016, 12:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
In Houston, most of the sides don't look like each other. North Houston is very different from West Houston; it can easily be in the Southeast. Up there, there are windy roads, tall pines, and small hills (Atlanta). West Houston/Southwest Houston is concrete on top of concrete; this area is much flatter and has less tall pines (the Florida cities and Baton Rouge). East Houston is very industrial and swampy (Louisiana). Southeast Houston is more coastal in feel and gives me a more Florida feel. Parts of Central Houston look like New Orleans, TO ME. Y'all are getting caught up in your feelings about N.O. because of it's core; Houston favors N.O. outside of that.

Take a stroll down the ENTRIE stretch of Westheimer, you will see how bipolar Houston's appearance is. LOL. Memorial Drive is very forested though.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston does have a few similarities to LA, especially it's building patterns. Houston will likely end up having a lot of medium to high density areas, but a lot of them being rather unwalkable similar to LA. I'm actually not that big of a fan of Houston's current urban development other than stuff going in downtown/midtown. The townhome developments are awful especially with the gates around them. Houston needs to look towards Dallas to see how townhome/rowhouse/brownstone developments should be done. They're doing things right.
Meh. Houston gets rid of the gates, and it would be looked at as urban. Houston doesn't need to develop their structures the same way Dallas does and vice versa. I don't need to see repetitive cities.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7393...7i13312!8i6656

Old 03-18-2016, 01:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Unfortunately former posters like Metro Matt and wordlyman salivated at the thought of Houston becoming like LA, they're the ones who made Houstonians look like LA wannabes.
Even though the majority of Houstonians/Texans here did not share their views. Their opinions were their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston does have a few similarities to LA, especially it's building patterns. Houston will likely end up having a lot of medium to high density areas, but a lot of them being rather unwalkable similar to LA. I'm actually not that big of a fan of Houston's current urban development other than stuff going in downtown/midtown. The townhome developments are awful especially with the gates around them. Houston needs to look towards Dallas to see how townhome/rowhouse/brownstone developments should be done. They're doing things right.
A city can be urban without brownstones. What's needed is more storefronts, and most southern cities fail at this miserably.

What Dallas (and Atlanta) is doing is intentionally patterning itself after other cities, like incorporating rowhouses into their neighborhoods even though they were never a part of the historical urban fabric of either city. Houston builds without vision or any real regard for what other cities look like.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Even though the majority of Houstonians/Texans here did not share their views. Their opinions were their own.

A city can be urban without brownstones. What's needed is more storefronts, and most southern cities fail at this miserably.

What Dallas (and Atlanta) is doing is intentionally patterning itself after other cities, like incorporating rowhouses into their neighborhoods even though they were never a part of the historical urban fabric of either city. Houston builds without vision or any real regard for what other cities look like.
Let's not act like the townhomes going up in Houston are unique. You can see that being built all over western cities like Seattle, Portland, LA, and SF. Dallas and Atlanta are just going the more eastern route of using brick and mortar.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
As much as my fellow Houstonians will hate to admit it, the city in the US that Houston has the most in common with is Dallas. That should go without saying, but people from both cities like to distance themselves from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City