Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Boston, Miami, and Montreal is attractive for Europeans
Miami and Houston is attractive for Latin Americans
Houston, Dallas, Boston, and Atlanta is attractive for Asians
Detroit and Houston is attractive for Middle Easterners
Atlanta and Dallas is attractive for Africans. Miami and Houston isn't bad either.
Boston is a magnet for Portuguese speaking countries, it seems
Boston and Miami is attractive for those in the Caribbean
Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are attractive for Africans. Miami isn't bad either.

Even though Houston has more Nigerians than anything, you can't discount it from being one of the top places for Africans. Nigeria is to Africa as Mexico is to Latin America, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Tier 1: NYC/LA

Tier 2: SF/DC

Tier 3: Chicago/Boston/Miami/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Detroit

Tier 4: Charlotte/San Diego/Austin/Seattle

Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Tier 1: NYC/LA

Tier 2: SF/DC

Tier 3: Chicago/Boston/Miami/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Detroit

Tier 4: Charlotte/San Diego/Austin/Seattle
I would put Detroit and Atlanta in another tier under Chicago/Boston/Miami/Houston/Dallas most definitely.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM

676 posts, read 961,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I've done the compilation once before. I'll have to do it for this thread as well, the Montreal CMA and the surrounding satellite areas (without infringing on what belongs to either Ottawa or Quebec City).

Montreal when including the surrounding satellite metropolitan areas such as Saint Jean-sur-Richelieu, Saint Jerome, Granby, Drummondville, Mirabel, Saint Agathe de Monts, and a few others that depend on Montreal as the nucleus to their region but aren't apart of its CMA, combined it exceeds 5 million people.

I'll add those up, would be interesting to see if it moves the foreign born needle any. I feel like it would because when doing the same to Toronto, going from its CMA to its Greater Golden Horseshoe form, it adds more to an already very impressive amount the core CMA already has in place.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's up near 5 million. As for moving the foreign born needle, maybe...certainly not as much as adding the Greater Golden Horseshoe to Toronto, as a place like Hamilton probably has a decent number of immigrants, whereas there's nothing like that near Montreal.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM

3,864 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's up near 5 million. As for moving the foreign born needle, maybe...certainly not as much as adding the Greater Golden Horseshoe to Toronto, as a place like Hamilton probably has a decent number of immigrants, whereas there's nothing like that near Montreal.
My impression from spending time in Quebec is that the further you get from Montreal, the less diverse it gets. It definitely becomes more Quebecois and less bilingual as well. Obviously numbers would confirm or refute that, but that is my impression. Montreal is similar to Boston in that way, in that the immigrant population stays as close to Boston as possible, minus a few exceptions (Lowell, Brockton, New Bedford, Lawrence, etc...) So the city and immediate metro area may grade above average, but the suburbs are noticeably white and native born.

Toronto on the other hand stretches that diversity out throughout the statistical area. It actually gets more diverse away from the downtown core.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I think if you look at the international levels of a city based on the immigrant population, the one that always gets forgotten is DC. DC's international population is 3rd only behind NYC and LA. It goes toe to toe with the San Francisco/San Jose CSA, but unlike the Bay Area, the DC area's immigrant population includes many African ethnicities along with Asians, Latin Americans, and Europeans.

Miami is a special case because its immigrants come (overwhelmingly) from one region. Miami does get a lot of Europeans too, but not compared to the level of Latin American's it gets.

Based on that, I would place the tiers as such:

Tier 1) NYC - it stands alone
Tier 2a) Los Angeles
Tier 2b) Washington DC and San Francisco Bay Area
Tier 2c) Miami
Tier 3a) Chicago and Houston
Tier 3b) Boston and Dallas/Fort Worth
Tier 4) Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego, and Philadelphia
Tier 5a) Detroit, Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Orlando
Tier 5b) Tampa and Las Vegas

I went based on statistical numbers to get these groupings. I put Miami below San Francisco and DC because it doesn't pull from a diverse set of regions.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's up near 5 million.
Vancouver is similarly an area of 3.2 million in 2011 numbers (I'm not including Victoria CMA in this number either) when including all the areas surrounding it in the developable basin its in, encircled by mountains or coastline on all its sides.

I'm thoroughly familiar with Vancouver, aside from the San Francisco Bay Area, it is probably the second city that I've never lived in but know extremely well. I've also been around the entire area, have driven, have walked in the city, have flown to Vancouver, have taken a ferry from Victoria to Vancouver, have used the trains (SkyTrain) in Vancouver and have thoroughly explored the ends of the Greater Vancouver area until you cannot anymore (when the mountains begin towering out of nowhere).

The thing I notice with Vancouver is that when you go to Abbotsford, or the towns/CMAs on Vancouver Island, or to one of its bedroom communities across the border in the United States, like Bellingham, it stays pretty diverse, not as diverse as Greater Vancouver but absolutely remains ahead of the "exurb" and "satellite" concepts in the United States when it comes to diversity.

What I mean is that a satellite area like Abbotsford is legitimately able to retain a much more diverse feel than places like Hagerstown, which is a cheaper bedroom alternative to the DMV region (as one example). Abbotsford for example, for its size, has a very surprisingly large foreign born population, and 28% of its population draws originations from China, India, the Maldives, South Korea, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Vietnam, Philippines, Bangladesh, so on.

I suppose what I am getting at is that I wouldn't be surprised if the surrounding CMAs to Montreal CMA have a little bit of diversity to them, especially compared to similarly functioning areas in their American counterparts. When I was adding the numbers up for Toronto, not just Hamilton but Oshawa, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Saint Catharines-Niagara were also pretty diverse for far flung bedroom or satellite communities.

Maybe Francophone Canada is different than Anglo Canada, as I personally don't know, everytime I've ever stepped foot in Montreal has been thanks to me flying there (via airport). So I never had a private vehicle/car to get a feel of what the outskirting areas are actually like (that'll change in August) but if it is anything like those around Vancouver or Toronto, then it should at the minimum pad the already impressive numbers Montreal has. Or perhaps not, Vancouver and Toronto are incredibly expensive (especially Vancouver), so perhaps a lot of their diversity in the far flung and outskirts can best be explained as "cheaper and more abundant housing". Something that perhaps Montreal doesn't have as much use for because it isn't nearly in the same tier for housing costs or affordability (or lackthereof).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-08-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are attractive for Africans. Miami isn't bad either.

Even though Houston has more Nigerians than anything, you can't discount it from being one of the top places for Africans. Nigeria is to Africa as Mexico is to Latin America, IMO.
Sorry that is incorrect. There is far more to Latin America than just Mexico and there is far more to Africa than Nigeria and I can hear the laughter from Africans on your statement. Outside Nigeria, Dallas and Atlanta by the stats on the first page is more attractive to other African nations than Houston is. Dallas especially for East Africa. So I stand by my initial comment. Dallas and Atlanta are more attractive for Africans and Houston and Miami is right behind them.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
As you can see below (I know, poor job cropping), the redzone, there are 3.2 million that live inside that zone (Vancouver-Surrey-Abbotsford-Chiliwack-Bellingham). On all of its sides, it is hemmed by mountains and the one side it is not (west) is hemmed in by the Salish Sea. Making it into a "basin" like thing, the only developable land in all of British Columbia (minus the Rainshadow part of Vancouver Island where Victoria CMA is).

This area in the "redzone" is what would be a "CSA" in America, to put into perspective:

For example, in the image you see above, diversity never stops. What starts on the shores of Vancouver goes all the way to Chiliwack and down to Bellingham, then back to Vancouver, making a triangle and everything inside those triangle sides having a relatively good amount of diversity.

As Vancouver continues becoming much more expensive, movement and migration will go inland to Abbotsford and Chiliwack, even Bellingham, they already have, as have the demographical trends. The region's growth is going inland as Vancouver reaches both build out and exorbitant stratospheric housing prices.

Is Montreal also like this?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Sorry that is incorrect. There is far more to Latin America than just Mexico and there is far more to Africa than Nigeria and I can hear the laughter from Africans on your statement. Outside Nigeria, Dallas and Atlanta by the stats on the first page is more attractive to other African nations than Houston is. Dallas especially for East Africa. So I stand by my initial comment. Dallas and Atlanta are more attractive for Africans and Houston and Miami is right behind them.
You totally missed my point.

I still put Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta in the same group for Africans, and that's MY opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City