Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I would say pretty much all these cities except Detroit are more diverse racially than Miami. Ethnically though, Miami breezes past the majority of them.
Even racially, it's debatable. Miami's no slouch racially, simply because of the number of different racial groups within The Caribbean and Latin America. Miami lacks a strong Asian population compared to the others, but Miami's foreign Black population might even be larger than the other cities African populations. Racially, the only thing Miami lacks in comparison to other cities is Asian. It gets tricky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Even racially, it's debatable. Miami's no slouch racially, simply because of the number of different racial groups within The Caribbean and Latin America. Miami lacks a strong Asian population compared to the others, but Miami's foreign Black population might even be larger than the other cities African populations. Racially, the only thing Miami lacks in comparison to other cities is Asian. It gets tricky.
Well because Miami lacks that Asian population, that puts is behind these cities racially. The gap is widening as well. Houston's Asian population is growing faster than Miami's. Racially, I'd definitely put Miami behind Houston and Boston.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:10 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
I don't know honestly, I've lived in Miami most of my life and its pretty much majority Cuban, Puerto-Rican and Haitian. the rich areas there are just Europeans living there 2 months out of the year, but everywhere else it's those main groups. In Montreal just around my neighbourhood its Algerian, Moroccan, Italian, Quebecois, Parisian French, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican And some Australians, and this is just within 1 1/2 blocks. Plus every-time i bring my American friends up north they're amazed on how many different languages they hear and the cultural diversity the city has in general, and when i bring my Canadian friends down south, yes they acknowledge the Latin American/Caribbean feel but they don't think its a very diverse place.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I don't know honestly, I've lived in Miami most of my life and its pretty much majority Cuban, Puerto-Rican and Haitian. the rich areas there are just Europeans living there 2 months out of the year, but everywhere else it's those main groups. In Montreal just around my neighbourhood its Algerian, Moroccan, Italian, Quebecois, Parisian French, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican And some Australians, and this is just within 1 1/2 blocks. Plus every-time i bring my American friends up north they're amazed on how many different languages they hear and the cultural diversity the city has in general, and when i bring my Canadian friends down south, yes they acknowledge the Latin American/Caribbean feel but they don't think its a very diverse place.
I've been to Montreal, honestly what you're saying has to be perception vs reality. I mean, Mexican? Miami has more non-Cuban, and Non-Latin-American ethnicities than Montreal has Mexicans. That's not to say Montreal isn't diverse, but I really feel like between Montreal and Miami, it's interchangeable. I've also have family in Montreal and Quebec, Montreal has it's francophone groups that shine the most, but Montreal lacks just as much in the diversity department, as Miami does in certain areas of diversity. Maybe what you experience, is diversity within close proximity. You may hear different languages on a daily basis, the same way someone on South Beach may hear different languages on a daily basis. Saying Miami is just Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Haitian is strange to say the least. I mean, the numbers are on the 1st page.....

Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well because Miami lacks that Asian population, that puts is behind these cities racially. The gap is widening as well. Houston's Asian population is growing faster than Miami's. Racially, I'd definitely put Miami behind Houston and Boston.
But the Asian population is the only racial group in which Houston will stay ahead of Miami though. No matter how fast that group goes, it won't shorten the gap Miami has over Houston when it comes to Europeans, Black Foreigners, and Latinos of all races. There's too much racial diversity just within Miami's Latino communities for starters.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I've been to Montreal, honestly what you're saying has to be perception vs reality. I mean, Mexican? Miami has more non-Cuban, and Non-Latin-American ethnicities than Montreal has Mexicans. That's not to say Montreal isn't diverse, but I really feel like between Montreal and Miami, it's interchangeable. I've also have family in Montreal and Quebec, Montreal has it's francophone groups that shine the most, but Montreal lacks just as much in the diversity department, as Miami does in certain areas of diversity. Maybe what you experience, is diversity within close proximity. You may hear different languages on a daily basis, the same way someone on South Beach may hear different languages on a daily basis. Saying Miami is just Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Haitian is strange to say the least. I mean, the numbers are on the 1st page.....
Yeah i'm talking on a city vs city basis, i don't like using metropolitan stats, especially since U.S metropolitan areas are grossly inflated, that said on a city by city basis Montreal is much more diverse, which makes sense since we're the 9th largest city in North America, plus on SoBe majority are tourists and do not live there. I mean if everyone i know from Miami said its more diverse in Montreal than Miami and they're from there, then its not only me. Miami has more Latin American countries, but you hardly find Asians, Middle eastern, African, etc..

Old 03-08-2016, 09:19 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
But the Asian population is the only racial group in which Houston will stay ahead of Miami though. No matter how fast that group goes, it won't shorten the gap Miami has over Houston when it comes to Europeans, Black Foreigners, and Latinos of all races. There's too much racial diversity just within Miami's Latino communities for starters.
Yes but you're speaking on ethnic diversity. Racially, Houston has the edge here. As far as Black foreigners, Miami is far better with the Caribbean while Houston is slightly better with Africa.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah i'm talking on a city vs city basis, i don't like using metropolitan stats, especially since U.S metropolitan areas are grossly inflated, that said on a city by city basis Montreal is much more diverse, which makes sense since we're the 9th largest city in North America, plus on SoBe majority are tourists and do not live there. I mean if everyone i know from Miami said its more diverse in Montreal than Miami and they're from there, then its not only me. Miami has more Latin American countries, but you hardly find Asians, Middle eastern, African, etc..
There's plenty of Israeli's, Germans, Swedes, Russians, Portuguese, Spaniard, and French in Miami also. There's also a alright Moroccan community and South African community in Miami. And while Miami lacks African Migration, Miami has the edge in Black West Indian Migration over Montreal. Which is why the lines are blurred when it comes to "true" diversity. I think people are penalizing Miami for having large swaths of exclusively Latino neighborhoods. Miami's population speaking 65% Spanish as a 1st language doesn't take away from the diversity it has outside the the Hispanophone communities. Miami also has a solid Francophone community.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
There's plenty of Israeli's, Germans, Swedes, Russians, Portuguese, Spaniard, and French in Miami also. There's also a alright Moroccan community and South African community in Miami. And while Miami lacks African Migration, Miami has the edge in Black West Indian Migration over Montreal. Which is why the lines are blurred when it comes to "true" diversity. I think people are penalizing Miami for having large swaths of exclusively Latino neighborhoods. Miami's population speaking 65% Spanish as a 1st language doesn't take away from the diversity it has outside the the Hispanophone communities. Miami also has a solid Francophone community.

Same with Montreal, they have all those communities, and we get a lot more now, i'm sure when the numbers come out we'll see a huge increase in Montreal. But at the end of the day Montreal as a city is more diverse and continues to do so, much more people coming from the Caribbean, Asian countries, African countries, etc... seriously explore Montreal more and you'll understand. I'm not trying to be biased or anything, i know Miami is diverse, i live there, but i still haven't seen what you find in Montreal. Sure we're not a L.A, Toronto or N.Y.C but Montreal does get overlooked at often. which is why i mentioned my friends, before i brought them here they thought everyone was like me, white and blue eyes, and then when they went they were speechless.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Yeah i'm talking on a city vs city basis, i don't like using metropolitan stats, especially since U.S metropolitan areas are grossly inflated.
You can't do that though. This is a comparison of Metro Areas. Whereas most of Montreal's diversity may be in the city, the suburbs in the US (especially in the South and on the West Coast) are more diverse than the city itself.

You have to look at the entire area if you want to get an accurate comparison. Urban Area is the best measurement in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City