Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The thing about the Nigerian population being under-counted is true about 50% of Nigerians I know are born here and 75% when you look under 20. This is true with many foreign born populations but especially Nigerians and Ghanaian who mostly came either in the early 2000's or late 1990's and earlier. So when they have American kids they get counted as African American, this happened to my sister. But currently i'm sitting in a school classroom with four Nigerians only two of us are born in Nigeria and if I include all my Nigerian friends in other classes roughly 8 out of 30 or 40 kids are born in Africa or a foreign country. This means thousands of young Nigerians are being counted out and I say that every Nigerian population that only counts foreign born is at least double or more that for the actual population. Take in the fact that Houston (Dallas included) have many Nigerian vacation homes were wealthy Nigerians buy a upper middle class house and only come twice a year. I personally know at least two of these families, one in Houston and the other in Dallas and I have associated with plenty more. They don't live here but come important Nigerian holidays or breaks they come rushing to these homes by the hundreds if not thousands and bolster the Nigerian population although temporarily. Also when oil is involved such as these conferences the population also goes up so it seems like their is at least 100,000 Nigerians all the time in Houston. The same seem to apply to Dallas also although I would say Dallas has less. You would be surprised how many times just walking in the Katy Mills Mall I accidentally stumble on a Nigerian person I often don't even know but they have deep accents and are wearing traditional Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa clothes. Also when we start talking Southwest Houston it seems like one out of every group of 5 black kids are African and mostly Nigerian.

I do know I have a personal bias towards seeing Nigerians as I am more aware of Nigerians than any other group of people.
I know Southwest Houston has had one of the higher populations of Black people in the city, but would you say that the Nigerian population of Southwest Houston is almost even with the Black-American population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
The thing about the Nigerian population being under-counted is true about 50% of Nigerians I know are born here and 75% when you look under 20. This is true with many foreign born populations but especially Nigerians and Ghanaian who mostly came either in the early 2000's or late 1990's and earlier. So when they have American kids they get counted as African American, this happened to my sister. But currently i'm sitting in a school classroom with four Nigerians only two of us are born in Nigeria and if I include all my Nigerian friends in other classes roughly 8 out of 30 or 40 kids are born in Africa or a foreign country. This means thousands of young Nigerians are being counted out and I say that every Nigerian population that only counts foreign born is at least double or more that for the actual population. Take in the fact that Houston (Dallas included) have many Nigerian vacation homes were wealthy Nigerians buy a upper middle class house and only come twice a year. I personally know at least two of these families, one in Houston and the other in Dallas and I have associated with plenty more. They don't live here but come important Nigerian holidays or breaks they come rushing to these homes by the hundreds if not thousands and bolster the Nigerian population although temporarily. Also when oil is involved such as these conferences the population also goes up so it seems like their is at least 100,000 Nigerians all the time in Houston. The same seem to apply to Dallas also although I would say Dallas has less. You would be surprised how many times just walking in the Katy Mills Mall I accidentally stumble on a Nigerian person I often don't even know but they have deep accents and are wearing traditional Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa clothes. Also when we start talking Southwest Houston it seems like one out of every group of 5 black kids are African and mostly Nigerian.

I do know I have a personal bias towards seeing Nigerians as I am more aware of Nigerians than any other group of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know Southwest Houston has had one of the higher populations of Black people in the city, but would you say that the Nigerian population of Southwest Houston is almost even with the Black-American population?
Its true Houston does have a huge Nigerian population. Ive met quite a few since Ive been here both in business and personally. There are tons of businesses that cater to them around the Mission Bend area.

That said, every single African Ive met in Houston has been Nigerian with the exception of 2-3 Ethiopians. The African community here isn't diverse.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Its true Houston does have a huge Nigerian population. Ive met quite a few since Ive been here both in business and personally. There are tons of businesses that cater to them around the Mission Bend area.

That said, every single African Ive met in Houston has been Nigerian with the exception of 2-3 Ethiopians. The African community here isn't diverse.
I agree. I would say I met more Ethiopians in Waco than I have since living in Houston [7+ years].

However, on the SW side. Damn near every other black person you meet is of Nigerian heritage. The area is littered with Nigerian businesses.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Nigerians are very attracted to Houston because of oil, and all of them say that Houston reminds them of home.

Although not on the same scale as Nigerians, I have met and seen many Africans from Ghana, Angola, Kenya, Cameroon, Ethiopia, and Congo.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
i agree Dallas is more diverse in terms of Nationality, ethnically though I am not sure, but I have met Ethiopians, Somalians, Several Congolese ethnicities, Ghanaians, Angolans and lots of North Africans who live in Houston although their numbers aren't big.

The reason I say ethnically is that most of Dallas Nigerians are of the big three Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo are all overrepresented in Dallas while in Nigeria these three groups combine to make 50% of the population or more, In Dallas they combine to make 90% of the population and just because of the sheer diversity in the Nigerian community I think the amount of Nigerians of other ethnic groups make up for the difference in numbers of ethnicity represented. I personally am of Yoruba- Ijaw descent and while Yoruba is well documented and their are Yoruba people everywhere it is a lot harder to find non Yoruba and Igbo Nigerians outside of Nigeria and Benin because these ethnic groups are the most numerous an educated per capita as more of the other ethnicities live in villages not cities. Hausa are also numerous but don't really deal with oil so they have a disadvantage.

On the Southwest Houston question I will say that 10-30% of everyone there who is black has immediate Nigerian blood. Sometimes they don't want to be identified by being Nigerian and they will just answer American but as soon as you hear their last name it is pretty obvious they are sons and daughters of Nigerian immigrants.
Select Diaspora Populations in the United States | migrationpolicy.org
This is probably closer to the actual Nigerian diaspora numbers although I think it is still higher.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:24 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
i agree Dallas is more diverse in terms of Nationality, ethnically though I am not sure, but I have met Ethiopians, Somalians, Several Congolese ethnicities, Ghanaians, Angolans and lots of North Africans who live in Houston although their numbers aren't big.

The reason I say ethnically is that most of Dallas Nigerians are of the big three Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo are all overrepresented in Dallas while in Nigeria these three groups combine to make 50% of the population or more, In Dallas they combine to make 90% of the population and just because of the sheer diversity in the Nigerian community I think the amount of Nigerians of other ethnic groups make up for the difference in numbers of ethnicity represented. I personally am of Yoruba- Ijaw descent and while Yoruba is well documented and their are Yoruba people everywhere it is a lot harder to find non Yoruba and Igbo Nigerians outside of Nigeria and Benin because these ethnic groups are the most numerous an educated per capita as more of the other ethnicities live in villages not cities. Hausa are also numerous but don't really deal with oil so they have a disadvantage.

On the Southwest Houston question I will say that 10-30% of everyone there who is black has immediate Nigerian blood. Sometimes they don't want to be identified by being Nigerian and they will just answer American but as soon as you hear their last name it is pretty obvious they are sons and daughters of Nigerian immigrants.
This is probably closer to the actual Nigerian diaspora numbers although I think it is still higher.
What are the Nigerian tribes in Houston?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:

Even if all of Dallas' Nigerians were of just one ethnic group, it would still have a more ethnically diverse African population than Houston. While Houston does have a larger West African population because of the Nigerian community, Dallas' East African population is almost 3 times larger. Dallas has the largest Zimbabwean, Kenyan, and Rwandan population's in the United States. Dallas also has a lot more Ethiopians than Houston does.

Just as Nigeria has multiple ethnic groups, so do all those other countries.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:

The Nigerian population of Southwest Houston is as high as 30%? Really? Hmmm. How many Hausa are ther in Southwest Houston vs the number of Yoruba in Southwest Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City