Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Kansas City 64 29.91%
Pittsburgh 123 57.48%
Indianapolis 38 17.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You're moving the goal post.

You do understand that city limits have nothing much to do with daily life, except for in legal and administrative terms? You can't compare kicking field goals on different sized fields. They have to be standardized to compare. The city limits are largely arbitrary. Adjusting for land area or possibly urban area would be best, but most people are satisfied with metro region comparisons.

Last edited by _Buster; 03-16-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. The homicide per capita of a city has nothing to do with land mass.
As stated, the statistics do show that suburban areastend to be "safer", though you'll find many who will argue with you about that. So cities that have annexed a lot of suburban areas have the advantage of these semi-suburban neighborhoods that have low crime rates to dilute the inner-city crime rates. This is not intended to be a commentary on the "whys" of this issue.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,423 times
Lived in Kansas City and Indianapolis. I haven't been to Pittsburgh, so I can't comment, but it seems like an interesting city. Pittsburgh seems to have really nice cultural institutions and universities, mostly because of its place as an industrial power back in the day. The setting and skyline are beautiful too.

As for KC and Indy, I love them both. For the life of me, I don't understand why C-D gives Indianapolis such a hard time. I went to university there for a couple of years and had a good time. The downtown is really nice and vibrant; Monument Circle is an urban space most cities would kill to have. It has some nice intercity neighborhoods like Lockerbie, Fountain Square, the Old Northside as well as some decent suburbs. I had traveled to Myanmar before I moved to Indy, so I was pleasantry surprised to find an array of Burmese restaurants and volunteer opportunities in the city. You're close to Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati, the Indiana Dunes, hikes in Southern Indiana, ect.

Not a racing person either, but I love the Indy 500. A lot of energy and a surprisingly international event. I would recommend it as a bucket list item.

Kansas City is also an amazing city. Very proud to be from KC.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 03-16-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Lived in Kansas City and Indianapolis. I haven't been to Pittsburgh, so I can't comment, but it seems like an interesting city. Pittsburgh seems to have really nice cultural institutions and universities, mostly because of its place as an industrial power back in the day. The setting and skyline are beautiful too.

As for KC and Indy, I love them both. For the life of me, I don't understand why C-D gives Indianapolis such a hard time. I went to university there for a couple of years and had a good time. The downtown is really nice and vibrant;
Compared to Kansas City and Pittsburgh, I wasn't impressed...Most of the streets were empty after 5 p.m. and I noticed quite a few boarded up/painted up uninhabited buildings. The skyline was also very lacking considering the size of the city.

Quote:
Monument Circle is an urban space most cities would kill to have. It has some nice intercity neighborhoods like Lockerbie, Fountain Square, the Old Northside as well as some decent suburbs. I had traveled to Myanmar before I moved to Indy, so I was pleasantry surprised to find an array of Burmese restaurants and volunteer opportunities in the city. You're close to Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati, the Indiana Dunes, hikes in Southern Indiana, ect.
All of which are more urban, exciting, and interesting cities to visit.

Quote:
Not a racing person either, but I love the Indy 500. A lot of energy and a surprisingly international event. I would recommend it as a bucket list item.

Agreed, Kansas City is well rounded and punches above its weight.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:01 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
You do understand that city limits have nothing much to do with daily life, except for in legal and administrative terms? You can't compare kicking field goals on different sized fields. They have to be standardized to compare. The city limits are largely arbitrary. Adjusting for land area or possibly urban area would be best, but most people are satisfied with metro region comparisons.

What does that have to do with tracking the crime rate of a city? For example Minneapolis and St. Paul are in the same metropolitan area yet their homicides and violent crimes are tracked separately.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with tracking the crime rate of a city? For example Minneapolis and St. Paul are in the same metropolitan area yet their homicides and violent crimes are tracked separately.
Here's one example of how the boundaries of the city can skew numbers. KC's a mess. Indy on the other hand is a giant square.

https://goo.gl/maps/WT6cUiNRaz12

Old 03-17-2016, 08:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post

As for KC and Indy, I love them both. For the life of me, I don't understand why C-D gives Indianapolis such a hard time. I went to university there for a couple of years and had a good time. The downtown is really nice and vibrant; Monument Circle is an urban space most cities would kill to have. It has some nice intercity neighborhoods like Lockerbie, Fountain Square, the Old Northside as well as some decent suburbs. I had traveled to Myanmar before I moved to Indy, so I was pleasantry surprised to find an array of Burmese restaurants and volunteer opportunities in the city. You're close to Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati, the Indiana Dunes, hikes in Southern Indiana, ect.

Downtown Indy is nice, but the neighborhoods of the city generally aren't in great shape. Sure, some have gentrified (Irvington/Fountain Square), others are in the process, but there are a lot of boarded up houses and blight around the nicer areas.

I wouldn't consider Chicagoland and the Dunes close - it's a good 2.5 hours there. Depending on where you are in Indy, it's at least two hours to either Cincinnati or Louisville.

One thing Indy does have are great, new, and affordable suburbs. I think you'd be hard pressed to find the quality of suburbs you have around Indy at the price we have.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:04 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Compared to Kansas City and Pittsburgh, I wasn't impressed...Most of the streets were empty after 5 p.m. and I noticed quite a few boarded up/painted up uninhabited buildings. The skyline was also very lacking considering the size of the city.
Like I said, I can't comment on Pittsburgh, but every time I go back to KC to visit my family, I try and go downtown to see how things have changed. And though some progress has made, Kansas City is behind Indy in terms of vibrancy. Kansas City has great bones and feels bigger when I'm downtown, but it's dead. Indianapolis has put more effort into their downtown. Kansas City, on the other hand, has better neighborhood hangouts. I like Westport better than Broad Ripple, and there is nothing like the Plaza in Indy.

I've spent substantial time in both of these cities. 3 years in one, and over 20 years in the other. When I used to drive from the university to my apartment on the East side every week in Indy, I was always noticed how there were people on the streets downtown, eating at restaurants, going to some bars, or just chilling on the Circle.

I agree about the skyline. Indy is not bad (I love the view from the canal), but Kansas City has those gorgeous art deco buildings.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Here's one example of how the boundaries of the city can skew numbers. KC's a mess. Indy on the other hand is a giant square.

https://goo.gl/maps/WT6cUiNRaz12
I'm not understanding the logic. Whether you place 10 apples in a 10"x15 box or a 30"X45" box you are still going to end up with 10 apples.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding the logic. Whether you place 10 apples in a 10"x15 box or a 30"X45" box you are still going to end up with 10 apples.
Yes, but that is not the statistic. You need to add oranges to those 10 apples. The statistic is how many apples in that box compared to oranges in that box. When you have the bigger box you can fit a lot more oranges around those 10 apples, thus the apple to orange ratio is much smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City