Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times

Advertisements

Is the OP referring to punching below the waist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Raleigh and the Triangle are generally considered a great area, and I (from six weeks last summer) liked it enough. But...

Raleigh is a good candidate because it has a CSA of 2 million, but its population is split into three primary cities and a bunch of suburbs. So Raleigh itself does not feel like the center of other 2 million + metros. Standing alone, it feels more like a Birmingham, ABQ, Omaha, etc. than it does a Charlotte.
Ok that makes sense from a CSA POV. But as a city with around 450k and a metro with around 1.5mil, it's downtown seems pretty big and lively what I've seen. Is it not? Or is it exaggerated?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Arlington, which barely has anything close to public transportation. Probably some other boomburbs, but Arlington has the distinction of being the second largest and being represented in the name of the metro, Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington.
...it's just "DFW".

Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...it's just "DFW".
Look it up, the formal name is Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 AM

396 posts, read 601,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
From an economic standpoint, Orlando is way beneath it's weight for such a massive metro. Other then that it offers amenities on par with a similar sized metro.
orlando is the only big metro in fl that isn't tied to the beaches and actually has a somewhat higher gdp than tampa despite being smaller. its done a lot to attract tech, high the highest percentage of immigration from asia and actually has a commuter rail line. (with another rail connection u/c to miami)

i almost think of it as a mini/young atlanta in a way, it certainly wants to become more than what it currently is, and that's more than can be said for tampa/jax.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
- San Jose
- Fresno
- Indianapolis
- Birmingham, AL
- Atlanta--for its size
- San Diego--take away the beaches and weather and you get Bland Diego. Actually a disappointing city, IMO.

Honorable mention: Orange County--I like the place, but for a county of 3,000,000, it's still slowly developing its own identity separate from L.A. That said, it still has a diverse array of neighborhoods and cities, a great mix of cultures, and one of the best job markets on the West Coast.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 AM
JJG

Quote:
Look it up, the formal name is Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington.
Formal, yes. But Arlington doesn't even have certain basic factors to truly call itself its own city, yet.

The city needed to get BOTH Dallas and Fort Worth to give them a small city bus that doesn't even make that many stops.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
A lot of this depends on perspective. You have to consider how a place compares to other regional peers around the same size. It wouldn't make sense to compare Dallas to Philly and then say Dallas punches below its weight. Despite being similar in size, one is a modern sunbelt city built during the age of the automobile and the other is a classic, urban city. Sunbelt cities have to be compared with other sunbelt cities and urban cities have to be compared with other urban cities.

In terms of cities that actually punch below their weight, Oklahoma City takes the cake on this. It's peers - Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis, Richmond, and Birmingham pretty much blow it away in every aspect (though Birmingham is somewhat debatable). It also compares unfavorably to places like Omaha, Albuquerque, and Tulsa. For a metro area closing in on 1.4 million, you have to compare it with metro areas half its size - around 700,000 - for it to even be a fair comparison.

Other cities in a similar situation are places like Jackson, MS. It doesn't compare well to Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Mobile, and Knoxville. For large cities, I would say Phoenix. I really like Phoenix myself, but I would be lying if I said it compared well with other metro areas of 4.5 million people. It compares nicely with other metro areas in the 2.5 to 3.5 million population range.

Detroit punches below its weight, but given its economic circumstances and history its kind of a unique situation. In Florida, a lot of people seem to say that Jacksonville punches below its weight but I always thought that about Tampa. I haven't been there in 15 years though so I probably need to revisit before making that call.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Formal, yes. But Arlington doesn't even have certain basic factors to truly call itself its own city, yet.

The city needed to get BOTH Dallas and Fort Worth to give them a small city bus that doesn't even make that many stops.
That was sort of my point, although I just define city based on size. Despite Arlington's size, large enough to be included in the metro's name, it can barely function as a city.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 AM
JJG

Quote:
That was sort of my point, although I just define city based on size. Despite Arlington's size, large enough to be included in the metro's name, it can barely function as a city.
Ah. I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City