Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Triangle, more like DC/Northern VA or Atlanta?
DC (Northern VA/MD suburbs) 31 50.00%
Atlanta 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 PM

89 posts, read 120,530 times

Advertisements

It's so baffling to me that people say Raleigh -Durham is not that southern. It has absolutely no northern or midatlantic traits at all, period. You have to actually visit and explore the area to see just how southern it feels. Hey Atleast parts of Richmond actually makes you feel as if you're in the north somewhat. Can't say the same for Raleigh or Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
It's so baffling to me that people say Raleigh -Durham is not that southern. It has absolutely no northern or midatlantic traits at all, period. You have to actually visit and explore the area to see just how southern it feels. Hey Atleast parts of Richmond actually makes you feel as if you're in the north somewhat. Can't say the same for Raleigh or Durham.
It's definitely southern in the long run and looks like the South, but the area has so many transplants. You have to understand that the Raleigh/Durham metro wasn't very big before the 1960's or so. Then the metro started seeing transplants after RTP was established, tons from the Northeast. That growth hasn't slowed. To this day, we're seeing lots of transplants but many specifically from New York/New Jersey. It's basically a new/suburban southern metro saturated with transplants. I agree that parts of Richmond make you feel like you're in the Northeast, though. Richmond is arguably borderline Mid-Atlantic.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Having a discussion on C-D where a city/metro to the north is compared to a city/metro to its south will almost always elicit comments from the north about how a city to the south can never be compared to it.

The reality is any two places can be compared and there will be similarities and differences between them. No two places are the same and no two places are 100% different either.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's four hours without traffic driving an average of 70 MPH. You must be driving Miss Daisy if it takes you 5½ hours to drive that distance.
"Miss Daisy, have I ever told you about the first time I went to Alabama?"
"No Hoke. When was that?"
"Back there about 50 feet."

Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
This looks a lot like the Raleigh suburbs north of 540 close to Falls Lake.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4834...!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4911...!7i3328!8i1664

On the contrary, this is more like downtown Raleigh or areas along the lines of North Hills.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9587...7i13312!8i6656

Culturally, I don't think there are drastic differences between the two metros. However, you could definitely say the same for Atlanta.
I see red dirt! Looks just like Georgia!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I see red dirt! Looks just like Georgia!
Just like NC, too! It's BRIGHT red around Raleigh.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
I've been saying this exact thing for years on this funny site. The problem is people equate having a bunch of transplants with Northernism, and that just isn't the case. I've been to Raleigh somewhere between 6-10 times (I used to live in Charlotte and Fayetteville). I also used to live in New York State. There is absolutely nothing reminiscent of Northern culture in Raleigh. It's laughable that people would even suggest so...

As to the op, this topic has also been recycled through the years, sometimes by the same guy. Not even worth debating anymore...

Old 04-03-2016, 04:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've been saying this exact thing for years on this funny site. The problem is people equate having a bunch of transplants with Northernism, and that just isn't the case. I've been to Raleigh somewhere between 6-10 times (I used to live in Charlotte and Fayetteville). I also used to live in New York State. There is absolutely nothing reminiscent of Northern culture in Raleigh. It's laughable that people would even suggest so...

As to the op, this topic has also been recycled through the years, sometimes by the same guy. Not even worth debating anymore...
Quote:
Just because a place like the Triangle isn't very culturally Southern doesn't necessarily mean that it's culturally Northern; it could mean that it's more general American/suburban culturally.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Most of the Triangle feels pretty general American/suburban culturally. It's like many other metros, it'll seem southern to you if you're coming from an area to the north but many folks in the Deep South probably wouldn't view Raleigh/Durham as that southern. Regardless, it's best to head east or south of Raleigh for more southern flavor (Garner, Clayton, Zebulon, etc). Areas of Durham around RTP and other areas like Cary and North Raleigh are more so general American. I guess Chapel Hill has the history from the university to make it seem pretty southern, but that's all it has going for it.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 PM

464 posts, read 523,193 times
Quote:
Haven't seen a more off base comment on this site yet lol. Good job😉
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City