Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Second biggest hip hop scene after NYC
Atlanta 34 45.33%
Chicago 6 8.00%
Houston 6 8.00%
Miami 3 4.00%
New Orleans 1 1.33%
Bay Area 3 4.00%
Los Angeles 22 29.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 PM

9,971 posts, read 6,685,168 times

Advertisements

NYC is where it all started and the birthplace of hip-hop. but all the following have a huge hip-hop scenes.

Don't only vote on places with best selling or most #1 songs. Rate on how many legends, style, and influence on hip hop. Please vote only if you're a hip hop fan. Heres some big names from each

Los Angeles-N.W.A. (Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E), Snoop Dogg, The Game, Kendrick Lamar, 2pac
Atlanta-Outkast (Andre 3000, Big Boi), Ludacris, T.I., Young Jeezy, Future
Houston-(UGK (Pimp C, Bun B), Geto Boys (Scarface, Willie D, Bushwick Bill), DJ Screw, Travi$ Scott, Paul Wall, Devin the Dude, Chamillionaire
Bay Area-E-40, Too $hort, MC Hammer, Mac Dre, 2pac
New Orleans-Lil Wayne, Birdman, Mannie Fresh, Master P, Curren$y
Chicago-Kanye West, Twista, Lupe Fiasco
Miami-Rick Ross, DJ Khaled, Pitbull, Ace Hood

A few years ago, Chicago would've easily been left out, but Chicago has recently made a scene with a new wave of rappers coming up.

Notice I put 2pac for both LA and the bay. Well, neither Pac, nor Pac fans can decide which one he is more associated with, so i put both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,235,794 times
You should set up a poll for people to vote.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You should set up a poll for people to vote.
I did. check back.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,192,160 times
Where's Philly? Or Detroit? Two HUGE oversights just off the top of my head.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,150,148 times
You left out the D? Esham, Insane Clown Posse and Kid Rock were the first Detroit rappers to gain major notice, though like Eminem, their early careers were primarily suburban-based. Eminem, the hip hop artist with the highest cumulative sales, was discovered by Dr. Dre. Dr. Dre also promoted D12 and Obie Trice. Most recent successful acts include producer J Dilla and rappers Royce Da 5'9", Trick-Trick, Big Herk, Slum Village, Big Sean, Seven the General, Doughboyz Cashout, Black Milk, Chuck Inglish of The Cool Kids, Danny Brown, Street Lordz Chedda Boyz, Eastside Chedda Boyz, and Bei Maejor.

Detroit isn't exactly Topeka, Kansas when it comes to Hip Hop....just saying.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
You left out the D? Esham, Insane Clown Posse and Kid Rock were the first Detroit rappers to gain major notice, though like Eminem, their early careers were primarily suburban-based. Eminem, the hip hop artist with the highest cumulative sales, was discovered by Dr. Dre. Dr. Dre also promoted D12 and Obie Trice. Most recent successful acts include producer J Dilla and rappers Royce Da 5'9", Trick-Trick, Big Herk, Slum Village, Big Sean, Seven the General, Doughboyz Cashout, Black Milk, Chuck Inglish of The Cool Kids, Danny Brown, Street Lordz Chedda Boyz, Eastside Chedda Boyz, and Bei Maejor.

Detroit isn't exactly Topeka, Kansas when it comes to Hip Hop....just saying.
Also Dej Loaf, Detroit Che, Team Eastside Peezy, Dex Osama (R.I.P) are some more artist currently on the come up (or was in Dex case). Hell, even Kash Doll is gaining popularity. But Eminem and Big Sean alone keeps Detroit on the map.

Quote:
Where's Philly? Or Detroit? Two HUGE oversights just off the top of my head.
Agreed. Not just Detroit but Philly is in the game too (Ar-Ab, Cassidy, Eve, Freeway, Meek Mill, Will Smith, and Beanie Sigel). St. Louis has quite a few out of there but they were more popular last decade (Chingy, Huey, Murphy Lee, Nelly, and Shorty the Prince).

But Atlanta has the biggest hip hop scene period right now. At least in the mainstream.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 PM

20,526 posts, read 33,620,172 times
Been done already.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 PM

650 posts, read 870,948 times
You can't leave out Detroit.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,480,881 times
In the grand scheme of hip hop? LA. Case closed. I would have said Chicago but I truly truly despise the horrific, negative, violent bang bang, gang gang drill **** they put out.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
In the grand scheme of hip hop? LA. Case closed. I would have said Chicago but I truly truly despise the horrific, negative, violent bang bang, gang gang drill **** they put out.
Chicago consists of 3 big name stars (Kanye West, Twista and Lupe). 1 dude that was big for a while (Chief Kief). And a whole bunch of underground guys.

H-town LA and NOLA easily beat Chi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City