Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful nature around it?
Milwaukee 6 5.66%
Cleveland 16 15.09%
Minneapolis 34 32.08%
Detroit 3 2.83%
St. Louis 8 7.55%
Kansas City 2 1.89%
Chicago 9 8.49%
Indianapolis 5 4.72%
Columbus 1 0.94%
Cincinnati 22 20.75%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Tempted to vote for Minneapolis but I decided to go with a Ohio city (Cleveland) because eastern Ohio is hilly and nearby Pennsylvania and other states even moreso. Cincinnati seems like a good choice too but I think Lake Erie beats the Ohio River so I went with Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardSamurai View Post
Just telling it as it is. And to close with a proper analogy: its like a group of midgets arguing which one is taller.
You've established that you have nothing to contribute to this thread. Why are you wasting your time?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
I love Columbus but I will be the first to admit that is topographically boring especially compared to Cincinnati. It's not necessarily ugly but it's pretty flat and the Olentangy River is at best a big stream. I find Lake Michigan to be very impressive whenever I visit Chicago and I really enjoy how Pittsburgh looks.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Sorry, man, face it; the Midwest is just too boring and white-bread. Why try to deny it?
First of all, I'm not a man. Secondly, I find parts of the Midwest beautiful. We'll just disagree. I don't really like it when someone comes in like they know it all, and tries to make it seems their opinion is the only opinion. I have one, too, and it's different than yours. Face it.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
Quote:
Because I feel that I can get you all to see how pointless it is to talk about the "tallest midget", so to speak, and move on. The Midwest (and much of the CONUS, save for parts of the West, and the Southeast) is just far too white-bread, plain, vanilla, boring, and ordinary. Go watch Bambi or Fox and Hound, and you've pretty much seen all the landscape much of the CONUS (save for the exceptions) has to offer.
The United States is one of the most diverse countries in the world when it comes to climate, topography, vegetation, etc. I don't claim to know where you're from, how old you are, or where you have been, but if you struggle to find much of the United States interesting when it comes to appearance I can't imagine what you might think of the rest of the world. The majority of the planet is not spectacular mountain views or sunset-lit canyon passes.

Quote:
Then what are you? A boy? An alien? A cyborg?

Then you have poor taste. Sorry this hurts your feelings.

Better to have "poor taste" (a.k.a appreciation for your surroundings) than to walk about the world enveloped in negativity and unnecessary criticism.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
I've concluded this person is really just trying to troll.

"Also, lots of things would be lost in a move to the Midwest/Northeast from the tropics, including no round-the-clock fruit cultivation, lack of interesting nature and beaches."

I love how you're trying to pass off your "opinion" as absolute fact. A lot of people like beaches, but honestly, I'm not a beach person. I'd rather kayak through rock arches or go for a walk along 100 ft. high lake bluffs than be out at the water and get sunburnt. I also like the changing of the seasons, the way you can actually sit in the grass without being bit by ants, and I prefer northern deciduous trees by a LONGSHOT over palms.

If you move to the southeast from the midwest, you will likely be missing out on seasons, geologic and topographic diversity, and just the feel that comes from actually being in a forest.

Again, if you really just don't prefer midwestern or northeastern terrain, it's okay. But, you're just one person with an opinion, not an expert on the universe.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM

BTW, thanks MPLS poster for showing pics of surrounding scenery, it's great to see what the region has to offer.

As for the poster who asked "how hilly is Cleveland"? It's not particularly super hilly, not as much as Pittsburgh to be sure, but does have it's share of gently sloping hills.

I think that the lookout point from the top of the (around 150 ft.?) hill from Edgewater is beyond spectacular at the angle it puts on the skyline, and just being able to look out on the lake from above is nice, and a very unique feature, especially near a major city like that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4849...35!7i900!8i602 This shows a view of the Flats, which with the view of downtown and the industry below is beautiful, however, once manicured a bit, it will be even more so.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5086...8i6656!6m1!1e1 This is Murray Hill or Little Italy in Cleveland, the hill is much more prominent than it appears in this picture.

http://www.ronskinnerphotography.com...-2009185-M.jpg Near there is Lakeview Cemetery. Here is the view of Daffodil Hill, and here is the view of the city from the Garfield Monument:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ezLlZmVMeR...25N%2Bx750.jpg

Here is the view from Gildersleeve Knob, which has about 600 feet of prominence. It allows you to see Lake Erie (not pictured) from 8 miles away, and the Cleveland skyline from about 20.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8lHdC83CaU...r+9+2010+s.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4088/5...92e7216e_b.jpg
The Ledges Overlook doesn't look as impressive because of all the trees in the center, but from there you can see all the way to the other side of the valley, and it goes down about 500 feet pretty quickly.

Supposedly one of the best views of the area is a rock ledge overlooking Hinckley Lake, which is about directly 350 feet above it, however I haven't been there yet.
There are probably other better spots which I am not aware, but these are some of the places I know of.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-21-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Again, if you really just don't prefer midwestern or northeastern terrain, it's okay. But, you're just one person with an opinion, not an expert on the universe.
Most of the Midwest is pretty boring terrain, though. The Northeast, no, but the Midwest, speaking generally, has the worst landscape in the U.S. Driving through Illinois or Indiana or Western Ohio or Southern Michigan or Southern Minnesota is pretty painful.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM

The Midwest as a general rule though, is still less flat than the lower southeast though (By that, I mean Florida, all but NE Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia South of Atlanta, South Carolina south of Greenville, most of North Carolina, Mississippi, Western Tennessee, Eastern Arkansas, and the Eastern half of Texas.

Beyond that, it's all landscapes. I'm guessing, since you live in New Orleans, you find a bayou/swamp landscape (which, to be blunt, where it's not coastal, permeates much of these areas) preferable to farmland or forest or big/small lakes, however, I think many would also disagree with you. One of my friends was a CDL driver, and said the most beautiful place he drove through was Iowa (of course, he did so I'm sure not in the winter, but he raved about the rolling fields of green and gold, and just how lush and clean everything appeared and felt. And even Iowa, which is sort of the stereotypical flat farmland state, has places that don't really match that stereotype. For instance:

The Loess Hills (Western IA): https://www.google.com/search?q=top+...+Hills&imgrc=_

Dubuque: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-_overview.jpg

http://static.photo.net/attachments/...-372435684.jpg

http://www.visitiowa.org/uploads/ima...e02_597698.jpg

Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 AM

The Northeast has perhaps more mountains and such in it's best parts than the Midwest does, but I would say the terrain immediately around Philadelphia, or Boston or Baltimore isn't really anything that couldn't be found in the immediate areas of say Cleveland, Minneapolis or Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City