Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tucson, AZ vs. San Antonio, TX
Tucson, AZ 17 35.42%
San Antonio, TX 31 64.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM

200 posts, read 391,839 times

Advertisements

Rudeness in San Antonio? This tells me it's like El Paso a little. I do remember experiencing some rudeness in San Antonio. Also, San Antonio like El Paso has poor customer service. The mentality: 10 registers, 1 or 2 working and long lines. Now I'm starting to think Tucson is better than San Antonio. We also have to remember San Antonio's population is mostly hispanics. Also, it's close to Laredo and Brownsville too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
Here is why I'm asking. I know that my previous posts, I was just comparing cities for fun, but now this is serious. I might do a nondegree at U of A in Tucson. But then there is a chance I might get admitted into a school in San Antonio. I really like Arizona a lot, but if I get admitted into a school in San Antonio as a full student, then obviously, I'll go there. But what is happening is now, I'm starting to get super attached to Tucson. I've been to San Antonio and honestly, it seems like an exact duplicate of El Paso. Spanish everywhere, a huge hispanic population, and not that clean. My family is telling me San Antonio is better than Tucson. But idk. I want to hear it from those who lived in both Tucson and San Antonio. Tucson from what I've see does not have a big Hispanic population. But then again, I have not spent enough time in Tucson. So it might, it might not.
It sounds like you might pick San Antonio anyway because of cheaper tuition, I'm assuming? Why not relocate to Tucson or Phoenix and do some community college for a couple years, change your license and everything, and then go to ASU or U of A? They'll see the good GPA at a local community college (Arizona has good community colleges by the way) give you in-state tuition and hell maybe even some scholarships. Arizona is cheap enough to do that anyway.

You'll find that most of the Arizona posters on here are in Phoenix and Phoenicians have a very negative image of Tucson, it's relatively biased I'll put it lightly. I was born and raised in Phoenix but I live in Tucson now, and I prefer Tucson in a lot of ways. Tucson has it's problems, sure, but it's still a pretty good city to be living in. There's only like three Tucson posters on this whole forum, and they tend to stick to the Tucson sub forum, so I do my best to represent Tucson on these other forums the best I can.

Have you visited Tucson? Besides Tucson is half Hispanic and half non-Hispanic, I don't know how that's not a large Hispanic population.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:46 PM

200 posts, read 391,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
It sounds like you might pick San Antonio anyway because of cheaper tuition, I'm assuming? Why not relocate to Tucson or Phoenix and do some community college for a couple years, change your license and everything, and then go to ASU or U of A? They'll see the good GPA at a local community college (Arizona has good community colleges by the way) give you in-state tuition and hell maybe even some scholarships. Arizona is cheap enough to do that anyway.

You'll find that most of the Arizona posters on here are in Phoenix and Phoenicians have a very negative image of Tucson, it's relatively biased I'll put it lightly. I was born and raised in Phoenix but I live in Tucson now, and I prefer Tucson in a lot of ways. Tucson has it's problems, sure, but it's still a pretty good city to be living in. There's only like three Tucson posters on this whole forum, and they tend to stick to the Tucson sub forum, so I do my best to represent Tucson on these other forums the best I can.

Have you visited Tucson? Besides Tucson is half Hispanic and half non-Hispanic, I don't know how that's not a large Hispanic population.
Well, Tucson is a small city. I prefer Tucson over El Paso any day. Phoenix is nicer, but Tucson is for sure not ugly. It's very clean with very fresh air. The only thing Tucson really lacks are highways. You have to drive through traffic lights to everywhere you go. I imagine Broadway Street gets packed and it's bumper to bumper and takes an hour to drive from one side to the other during rush hour. They need to put in more highways in Tucson. Other than that, it's an amazing place.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Scenery: Tucson, not even close. San An scenery is fugly.
Haven't spent much time in the Hill Country I take it? Tucson does have more impressive scenery but SA has some unique and beautiful topography on the north side.

Anyway SA wins most categories pretty easily, which comes with being twice as big with a growing, diverse, and healthy economy.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Well, Tucson is a small city. I prefer Tucson over El Paso any day. Phoenix is nicer, but Tucson is for sure not ugly. It's very clean with very fresh air. The only thing Tucson really lacks are highways. You have to drive through traffic lights to everywhere you go. I imagine Broadway Street gets packed and it's bumper to bumper and takes an hour to drive from one side to the other during rush hour. They need to put in more highways in Tucson. Other than that, it's an amazing place.
Tucson will never put in any highways.

Speedway is the worst road in Tucson and gets backed up really only at the U of A. Tucson's issue with traffic is: a) lots of old people who like to go 25, b) lots of Sonorans who frankly don't know what they are doing most of the time, c) potholes, d) low speed limits, e) poorly timed traffic lights and f) lots of traffic lights. Four of these can easily be changed and if those four were addressed then Tucson would be pretty easy to drive in most parts, despite one freeway on the outskirts. It does take time to get to the East side but it really depends where. SE Tucson is way easier to get to than NE Tucson where there is still windy roads in the foothills.

Tucson has roughly 1 million people, I'm not sure I would consider that small, but it does feel small. That means about 500,000 Hispanics that are registered Tucsonans... That figure doesn't include all the Sonorans that do their shopping here (there are lots of them here at any given moment) so Tucson probably has more Hispanics than white people at any given moment. The actual population numbers are changing to a true minority-majority city anyway, so Tucson won't be half and half for long.

You need to dedicate a weekend and drive five hours to Tucson and see for yourself. Tucson is a lot different than it appears and you won't know that until you spend some time here. We can say this for most places but some cities are more transparent than others... Tucson is not transparent in the slightest. Most people just drive through Tucson and see run down buildings and think it's a dump... Tucson actually has a soul and is a very connected community with lots of friendly down to earth people. I'd say even Phoenix is significantly more rude than Tucson is. I work with "undesirables" (drug addicts, homeless, very poor) and they are all good people who got into very tough situations. I can't say the same about the similar population I worked with in Phoenix.

I'd argue most of the voters on here haven't spent any time in Tucson whatsoever. I have never been to San Antonio which is why I didn't vote. I don't vote out of ignorance, and I only vote if I know about both options. You really won't know what you prefer til you see yourself and compare the two, because the only person who has your perspective is yourself.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:02 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,686 times
I know I'm late to this party,but just now came across it. I currently live near San Antonio and have for 2 years and 4 months, I moved here after spending 8 years in the Tucson area . I feel I can speak for both places , both have some pros and cons , but I would never want to ever live in the Tucson area again .

Weather is a plus for Tucson .I was one of the few that enjoyed monsoon season, amazing lighting and thunderstorms. I miss those .
I did find two Mexican places that could compare to so cal Mexican food . Haven't found that here in San Antonio. If you are looking for things to do, San Antonio has it. Everything near Tucson is a 1 time and done type of thing .
People in Tucson were nicer then folks in So cal, but I feel the people in San Antonio are nicer then the Tucson folks . Atleast everyone says yes sir,yes ma'am here in Texas .
One of the coolest things I like about San Antonio is you can be driving through the city and not feel like you're in the city. You turn down one street and you feel like you're in the woods vs the city. It's cool to me .

I like it here and I'm staying even if I can't find Mexican food to die for .

Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 PM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
San Antone rather easily .

Old 02-16-2018, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I personally can't stand Tucson, and would live in SA any day of the week over the dirty T lol(it's a nickname my friends call Tucson). Some people seem to like Tucson though, and if you are living in or by the university you should be fine. Tucson also has some beautiful nature that surrounds the city and it has some nice ares. Tucson has a HUGE Hispanic population (well maybe not compared to Texas terms). The city of Tucson is 41 percent Hispanic, 47 percent white, and 5 percent black. It's obviously not as big as the hispanic population in San Antonio but it's noticeable. It seems like you want to stick with the desert/"south west", have you ever taken Phoenix metro into consideration?
Growing up in Tucson, I never thought of Hispanics and whites as being different.

Yes, there's definitely a cultural difference between Mexican nationals and US nationals, but most Mexican Americans identify as white and you really can't differentiate them from European Americans. For instance, my Mexican-American stepmother looks and acts more "white" than my Italian-American birth-mother.

I think social stigma in the area depends on one's ability to speak non-accented English more than anything else.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think Tucson has a more pronounced hipster/hippie vibe. And while both cities have large military communities, I feel like that community is more visible in SA.

Last edited by FluorescentLightsAreEvil; 02-16-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
In terms of entertainment, culture, making friends, niceness/rudeness of people, food lovers, scenery, everything pretty much.
Neither city am I personally a fan of. I like lush, greenery and scenery in San Antonio and the humidity but other than that I have not been impressed.

Both cities are very rude but in different ways.

Tucson residents don't go out there way to be rude and arrogant. But there is more of a self-centered, independent streak in the city that comes across as unfriendly.

Entertainment: Tucson. Tucson has a bigger nightlife in general because there is a large university in the core of the city.

Niceness and Rudeness of the people: Both cities have much to be desired and honestly I find both very unfriendly. San Antonians go out there way to be rude, Tucson is more self-centered and unfriendly due to the introverted nature of the residents.

For friendliness in Arizona, the eastern suburbs of Phoenix that are well-off like Scottsdale and Gilbert plus Yuma are the friendliest areas.

As someone who lived in Arizona for several years, I find the eastern suburbs of Phoenix and Yuma to have friendlier people than anywhere so far in Texas and other parts of Arizona.

I have been stunned so far by how rude that people are here in San Antonio. People don't really take care of themselves. The customer service is better than Tucson, but overall San Antonio is a very unfriendly place.

Most people in San Antonio are extremely unhealthy and don't try to take care of themselves and look very depressed.

People in Tucson seem to have higher self-esteems but I think people in general are self-centered and live there more for the solitude and nature

San Antonio seems to have huge amounts of locally owned restaurants, Tucson is not a chain city but San Antonio has many locally owned businesses.

San Antonio is very hilly, lush and beautiful I really enjoy the scenery myself. Tucson is very lush for a desert environment and Mount Lennon is a very prominent mountain that is 10,000 feet over the city.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:52 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
This isn't remotely close SA by a country mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City