Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM

13 posts, read 46,015 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving from NYC for cheaper and less crowded living. I've been thinking about Seattle or Chicago. Chicago seems like it has the things I like about NYC like diversity, things to do, but is way more manageable and cheaper. Seattle is one of the softer cities, but I like it too because of the laid back living and nature options. Seattle seems like it's a better fit for me size wise, Chicago is huge, but at the same time Chicago will most likely be more fun for me, as I like more diversity and more entertainment options. That said, Seattle has a much better economy. I'd be looking at local govt jobs like state/city/county and IL has issues with that and not much hiring is going on at the moment, unlike Seattle. Seattle is getting expensive, but it's still cheaper than Chicago, esp suburbs with newer housing and taxes. A healthy choice would be to apply in both cities and go from there, but I don't like the idea of a job solely deciding where I live. Any advice? Any other cities I should look at? I thought about Denver, but I am not a fan of this whole mountain desert setting. Mpls looks cool too, but it seems even more tamer than Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM

765 posts, read 899,720 times
I live in the Seattle area and usually go to Chicago every year or twice a year and stay for about a month at a time because a good portion of my family lives there. If you are wanting a new, fresh, clean, technologically advanced, 60 degrees, marijuana engulfed society, with a marine feel, the best air quality, freshest food, forests, mountains, and ocean in abundance, and you just don't really care about the rest of America, I would chose Seattle. If you want a hard, real, tangible, big city, hot humid summer, cold dry winter, food plethora society, with endless entertainment options, not isolated, by lake Michigan, classic, and overall has good values, I would chose Chicago. It's a difficult thing to explain, they are cities you should experience for yourself but both very amazing.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM

390 posts, read 941,625 times
I have to ask - are you the same guy who has reposted this question multiple times under different user names?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I live in the Seattle area and usually go to Chicago every year or twice a year and stay for about a month at a time because a good portion of my family lives there. If you are wanting a new, fresh, clean, technologically advanced, 60 degrees, marijuana engulfed society, with a marine feel, the best air quality, freshest food, forests, mountains, and ocean in abundance, and you just don't really care about the rest of America, I would chose Seattle. If you want a hard, real, tangible, big city, hot humid summer, cold dry winter, food plethora society, with endless entertainment options, not isolated, by lake Michigan, classic, and overall has good values, I would chose Chicago. It's a difficult thing to explain, they are cities you should experience for yourself but both very amazing.
nice info, what u prefer overall? chicago seems more traditional while seattle more hipsterish/liberal

Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Is there decent nature around Chi? like woods, lakes (besides the obvious one), parks, etc

Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 PM

765 posts, read 899,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
nice info, what u prefer overall? chicago seems more traditional while seattle more hipsterish/liberal
Overall, I'd have to go with Seattle because I like to be by the ocean and it's much more open minded here. But it takes a certain kind of person to live in Seattle, it really isn't for everyone so I would definitely visit first!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Is there decent nature around Chi? like woods, lakes (besides the obvious one), parks, etc
There is decent stuff yes... but you are matching it up with Seattle. so... yeah, shouldn't go there.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 PM

349 posts, read 573,715 times
Quote:
Though a smaller percentage of the population, Chicago's hipsters are more diverse, edgier, and quite frankly angrier. You're more likely to find a militant Latino and Black hip hop influence in Chicago's hipster scene for instance. That's mainly from living in a city with a lot more problems though. You gotta have a tolerance for stress living in Chicago, whether it be brutal weather or obscene political corruption. Its like a microism of America, representing all the good and bad of the country. Seattle's hipsters cross into more of the hippie category, similar to Portland. I like Seattle a lot though, jealous of the recreational weed. I think that tension is the biggest difference outside of the physical attributes of the city. I think I'd live in Seattle for a while, but then think I was going too soft.

Last edited by goonsta; 11-11-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Chicago is more diverse, for better or worse. The general "feel" I get from people in Seattle is that they're pretty cold, not in an unfriendly way, but they're just more serious. I feel like being invited to parties is easier in Chicago whereas in Seattle, people have their own cliques. It's more like a very subtle snobbishness.

Also, if you're a single guy, I'd suggest moving to Chicago. Unless you're rich and 6-foot-2 with blonde hair and blue eyes, you're probably going to be on the low-end of the dating scale due to the amount of relatively-attractive single guys with high paying jobs here. It's a pretty strange place for people like myself who aren't natives. Nearly all the guys I see here are tall, blonde, are athletic, and have professional jobs (or are at least in the process of getting one). I'm glad I moved here with a girl already because I would imagine that competition for women here is very fierce. From what I've read and heard, this is true. The dating scene is super difficult for guys.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
I thought I would clear some things up...

Minneapolis isn't tame. Seattle isn't cheaper than Chicago -- city or suburbs. Seattle's economy is not better than Chicago's.....at least, not using historical standards (it may be better today). Most government jobs will be in/around the State capitol, making some cities more attractive than others in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City