Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 08:55 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,109,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
The black population here may be small, but it isnt as segregated as cities with larger black populations. I'm shocked at the amount of interracial couples I see here and I've even had quite a few interracial relations in the three years i have lived here.
Seeing Interracial couples out and about does not automarically equate to a place not being segregated, though. If anything, it just says that since the (American) Black population is smaller and less prominent in a place like Minneapolis, a lot of Blacks there end up conforming to the dominant (aka white) demographic's culture when it comes to dating and relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,989,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Seeing Interracial couples out and about does not automarically equate to a place not being segregated, though. If anything, it just says that since the (American) Black population is smaller and less prominent in a place like Minneapolis, a lot of Blacks there end up conforming to the dominant (aka white) demographic's culture when it comes to dating and relationships.
As far as segregation is concerned, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Baton Rouge, Cleveland, New Orleans, Miami, Memphis, New York, Buffalo, Newark, Birmingham, Dallas, Kansas City, Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Petersburg, Pittsburgh, Houston, Louisville, Los Angeles, Greensboro, Phoenix, Omaha, Indianapolis, Boston, Toledo, Orlando, Denver, Columbus, Norfolk, Tampa, Nashville, Fort Wayne, Charlotte, Fort Worth, San Diego, Winston-Salem, Jacksonville, Santa Ana, Raleigh, Rochester, Austin, Tucson, Laredo, Hialeah, Oklahoma City, Cheasapeake, El Paso, Lubbock, Wichita, and Corpus Christi are all more segregated than Minneapolis. BTW, Minneapolis has a larger black population than a lot of those cities.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Might want to pick a smaller sea
That defeats the purpose of the dream though - to be the biggest fish in the sea

Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,057,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
That defeats the purpose of the dream though - to be the biggest fish in the sea
The phrase is "Better to be a big fish in a small pond (than a small fish in a big pond)." The idea that you, personally, could be one of the "big fish" in NYC is ridiculous. It's quite possible if you live in a small area, however.

For example, I remember when I was 24 and finishing up grad school, I picked up a zine which was the "underground guide" to the region, which would document the "coolest bars" and the "best CD stores." I was kind of weirded out when it listed the exact bars I went to and CD stores I shopped at. I was by no means "cool" but given it was a small scene, I had become part of the hip underground by default.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,976,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
All the cities you've been ripping on have growing minority populations - they are becoming more diverse. Perhaps this is just one reason as to why they are being championed. It seems as though some members representing the has-been cities, including Pittsburgh, are really having a hard time with this.
I'm not actually ripping those cities. I'm calling into question this board's continued insistence that these cities are, by far, the most attractive cities for young people, and the continued dismissal of NYC, CHI, MIA and ATL, which seem to be very attractive to a different sort of young person. Millennial's are a more diverse group than C-D posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY
Yeah, the city of Miami is currently over 70% Hispanic and that percentage is growing. At least the city of Minneapolis is becoming more diverse with a growing black, Asian, and Hispanic population.
Hispanic isn't a race or ethnicity. Miami isn't El Paso. It's filled with people of different races, nationalities and cultures. It's exceedingly diverse.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Hispanic isn't a race or ethnicity. Miami isn't El Paso. It's filled with people of different races, nationalities and cultures. It's exceedingly diverse.
It's an ethnicity.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's an ethnicity.
No, it's a linguistic grouping. Hmong is an ethnicity. Igbo is an ethnicity. Ashkenazi is an ethnicity. Martin Sheen and David Ortiz are not from the same ethnic group. They don't have shared ancestry, culture or cuisine.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,798,852 times
Quote:
No, it's a linguistic grouping. Hmong is an ethnicity. Igbo is an ethnicity. Ashkenazi is an ethnicity. Martin Sheen and David Ortiz are not from the same ethnic group. They don't have shared ancestry, culture or cuisine.
What would you call a Mexican American who doesn't speak a word of Spanish?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
What would you call a Mexican American who doesn't speak a word of Spanish?
Chicano or Mexican-American; the same thing I'd call him if he spoke Spanish.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,357,781 times
Quote:
Per the Census, Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity.

Race/ethnicity has nothing to do with ancestry, culture or cuisine. It's 100% self-identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City