Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
People were forced to have interactions with people of different cultural background and economic means. .
That's ironic since cities like Chicago, Boston, and even NYC are far more segregated than cities down south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:54 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
That's ironic since cities like Chicago, Boston, and even NYC are far more segregated than cities down south.
Maybe by race, Cowboy. Your need to play gotcha with me just makes you look bitter. It's also not as if you have block after block of 25/25/25/25 splits down south. The south is also segregated by race. All of the U.S. is. The difference is up north black/Hispanic/Asian people live 10 blocks away verse 10 miles. Segregation is MOSTLY a white/black issue, although all groups tend to live in bubbles.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Those places were also built in a manner that forced cultures to blend and new ones to cultivate. People were forced to have interactions with people of different cultural backgrounds and economic means. I'm not saying that Dallas won't continue to grow into its own identity, but it's not likely to be similar to the identities of places like NYC, Chicago, Philly, or Boston. Before widespread gentrification in northern cities, the poor and working class were never far away. Even places like Lincoln Park in Chicago housed poor immigrants and working class Americans.
This isn't so different from Sunbelt cities but the major point of differentiation is that the northern cities got lots of immigrants early on, whereas for Sunbelt cities like Dallas, it happened later.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe by race, Cowboy. Your need to play gotcha with me just makes you look bitter. It's also not as if you have block after block of 25/25/25/25 splits down south. The south is also segregated by race. All of the U.S. is. The difference is up north black/Hispanic/Asian people live 10 blocks away verse 10 miles. Segregation is MOSTLY a white/black issue, although all groups tend to live in bubbles.

All youre doing is making stuff up. The difference is that I see through it.

Its also cute that you think Im a Cowboy. I grew up in LA and Ive never worn boots or a Cowboy hat. Im a Dallas Cowboys fan which is where the name comes from.

I guess you've never been to Houston. If anyone were dumb enough to say that a city like Chicago was more integrated than a place like Houston or Dallas for that matter, they would deserve to get talked back to.

Your big cities in the Midwest and North East ARE more segregated than your big cities down South. I am not saying that every city in the South is fully integrated, just that the region is more integrated than the Midwest.

Go ahead and try and pole vault around it.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This isn't so different from Sunbelt cities but the major point of differentiation is that the northern cities got lots of immigrants early on, whereas for Sunbelt cities like Dallas, it happened later.
The differences in built environment definitely contribute to the differences in cultural evolution, but I agree the time at which these places received immigrants also plays a role. They already had established cultural identities when immigrants from predominately Latin America and Asia began to arrive.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
All youre doing is making stuff up. The difference is that I see through it.

Its also cute that you think Im a Cowboy. I grew up in LA and Ive never worn boots or a Cowboy hat. Im a Dallas Cowboys fan which is where the name comes from.

I guess you've never been to Houston. If anyone were dumb enough to say that a city like Chicago was more integrated than a place like Houston or Dallas for that matter, they would deserve to get talked back to.

Your big cities in the Midwest and North East ARE more segregated than your big cities down South. That is a FACT. Go ahead and try and pole vault around it.

I'm calling you Cowboy because that's your name, lol. Relax, bud. If you're offended by my posts, block me. I couldn't care less.

I'm not making anything up. I even said that places up north were more segregated, lol. That doesn't make places down south integrated because they're marginally less segregated than the north. Segregation is widespread throughout the U.S.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Boston segregated? HA!!. srsly? maybe in 1973. :lmfao:

Quote:

Last edited by odurandina; 01-04-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Everywhere is segregated. These days its mostly by income, although income and race are correlated, unfortunately. There aren't any laws that legally allow minorities to be denied housing because they're not a WASP.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Yeah, Boston is segregated:

The 9 Most Segregated Cities In America | The Huffington Post

Boston among most racially segregated U.S. metro cities; Hispanics affected most, report finds | masslive.com

2010 Census Shows Boston Among Most Segregated Cities | Radio Boston

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
oh Huffington. hahahahaha Jeeze that's the last word!!!
They're telling us Boston is segregated because a lot of hispanics can't afford to live in Beacon Hill.

i can't afford to live in Beacon Hill either HEY!!
i also can't afford to live up in Millennium Tower....

MT from the Granary Burial Grounds.

But this isn't grounds for me to spew about being economically repressed. ..In Chicago, SF, Chicago, Boston etc, the affordable housing taxes the wealthy pay either directly or indirectly (through high rents) goes a long way to giving people real choices to improve their econmic situation/s by putting them within a few hundred yards of quality higher education without the added expense of university housing..... ....an incredible 'deal' for people hungry to rise to the next level.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-04-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City