Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times

Advertisements

Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Portland, no contest. But true about its lack of air connections.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
For me Portland for outdoor recreation, local beer, and culinary innovation and Dallas for everything else.

As a city, I don’t care for Portland. It’s filthy as hell, is very short on diversity, it caught up in its own stereotype, and feels very inauthentic. Dallas too for that last one but it’s better on the others.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:48 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Your big cities in the Midwest and North East ARE more segregated than your big cities down South. I am not saying that every city in the South is fully integrated, just that the region is more integrated than the Midwest.
This appears to be true based on the "entropy index" shown in this study.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.e8f138a004d8

If you look at cities in the midwest vs. south, the green/diversity is much more apparent in the south. The rural south is also exceptionally more diverse than the rural midwest. It's also interesting how much more diverse southern cities' suburbs are.

Neither compare to California cities though. You'd be hard pressed to find any places in the bay area that are not diverse.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Most people move to Dallas for those two reasons though, plus it is a pro-business, low tax area compared to coastal metros. But as the area becomes more expensive due to the housing demands, that appeal will definitely reduce. The diverse economy of the area helps, but if the salaries don't catch up with the housing costs, then there won't be as much incentive to move there.

Let me guess, you moved to Dallas for its beautiful natural scenery, plethora of outdoor activities, and its urbanity? LMAO, please
It still pays better when compared to Portland.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The density is increasing. There is no denying that. But the urbanity still needs work in Texas cities. I absolutely do not care for the amount of above ground parking garages going up with every development in Houston. It takes up way to much valuable space.
I mean......people need somewhere to park their cars.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
This appears to be true based on the "entropy index" shown in this study.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.e8f138a004d8

If you look at cities in the midwest vs. south, the green/diversity is much more apparent in the south. The rural south is also exceptionally more diverse than the rural midwest. It's also interesting how much more diverse southern cities' suburbs are.

Neither compare to California cities though. You'd be hard pressed to find any places in the bay area that are not diverse.
The Bay Area has a tiny black population which, in my opinion, keeps it from being equal to NYC, LA, and arguably DC on diversity.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The Bay Area has a tiny black population which, in my opinion, keeps it from being equal to NYC, LA, and arguably DC on diversity.
I get what you mean compared to LA and NYC.

The bay area is definitely more diverse than DC metro. For one thing, it's majority (54%) white. 80% of people are either black or white. Plus the DC black population is highly segregated from everyone else. So no, I don't think DC gets points for being diverse when all black people are in one area only.

The bay area is minority majority. 42% white, 23% hispanic, 23% asian, and 7-8% black. DC's asian population is only 9%, so I'm not sure why SF's 7-8% black population is the reason it's less diverse.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I get what you mean compared to LA and NYC.

The bay area is definitely more diverse than DC metro. For one thing, it's majority (54%) white. 80% of people are either black or white. Plus the DC black population is highly segregated from everyone else. So no, I don't think DC gets points for being diverse when all black people are in one area only.

The bay area is minority majority. 42% white, 23% hispanic, 23% asian, and 7-8% black. DC's asian population is only 9%, so I'm not sure why SF's 7-8% black population is the reason it's less diverse.
Respectfully, youre information on DC is extremely inaccurate. Below is information for both by metro area:

Washington DC:
45.8% White
24.9% Black
15.5% Hispanic
10.0% Asian

San Francisco:
40.0% White
25.6% Asian
21.9% Hispanic
7.0% Black

In fact, DC is the only other metro area in the US (other than NYC and LA) that has at least 10% of every group. Then if we dig deeper, you can see that DC's black population is not just African American. It rivals NYC as the number one spot for foreign born Africans. The San Francisco Bay Area has almost no foreign born Africans to speak of. DC's Hispanic population is smaller than the Bay Area, but its also way more diverse with a much larger Central and South American population than the Bay Area. The Bay Area just has way more Mexicans.

I would also draw your attention to this thread which breaks everything down by country and MSA:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-country.html

So at worst, DC is at least as diverse as the Bay Area.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Respectfully, youre information on DC is extremely inaccurate. Below is information for both by metro area:

Washington DC:
45.8% White
24.9% Black
15.5% Hispanic
10.0% Asian

San Francisco:
40.0% White
25.6% Asian
21.9% Hispanic
7.0% Black

In fact, DC is the only other metro area in the US (other than NYC and LA) that has at least 10% of every group. Then if we dig deeper, you can see that DC's black population is not just African American. It rivals NYC as the number one spot for foreign born Africans. The San Francisco Bay Area has almost no foreign born Africans to speak of. DC's Hispanic population is smaller than the Bay Area, but its also way more diverse with a much larger Central and South American population than the Bay Area. The Bay Area just has way more Mexicans.

I would also draw your attention to this thread which breaks everything down by country and MSA:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-country.html

So at worst, DC is at least as diverse as the Bay Area.

Uh why are we comparing D.C to the Bay area in a thread intended to compare Dallas and Portland? C'mon now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City