Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite southeast college town to live as an adult
Fayetteville 7 9.72%
Tallahasse 5 6.94%
Knoxville 25 34.72%
Gainsville 1 1.39%
Athens 17 23.61%
Oxford MS 1 1.39%
Lexington 5 6.94%
Columbia SC 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Google Vol Navy sometime. The backwaters of Ft Loudon lake run right up to downtown and beside Neyland Stadium. There is a new golf course near UTMC - on the shores of Ft Loudon lake across from the UT welcome center. Furthermore the lake is navigable all the way to the gulf of mexico, if that matters.

But why let facts get in the way of an argument?
I had no desire to talk about Knoxville or any of those other cities. you started the argument and stated that these other college towns are superior to Clemson. I have nothing against those towns, but I think that I demonstrated that Clemson has specific advantages over all of them. it is great if Knoxville has a lake. so does Clemson. you said Knoxville was better. now you have conceded Knoxville doesn't really have a college town atmosphere. so why did you bring it up in the first place.

you asserted that I said Clemson is a good college town simply because it is 40 minutes away from Greenville. That is not what I said. I said that people who like to shop a lot probably would not living in Clemson, but then I pointed out Greenville isn't too far away for weekend shopping. So you are not responding to what I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:01 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Of the cities you mentioned, only Oxford and Athens are true college towns with Gainesville and Tallahassee being a bit bigger are hybrids. The others I consider "University Cities" in that they are cities that have more going on than just the University.

Of those "University Cities" Fayetteville is the most collegetownesque because it sits at the bottom end of a string of about 5 towns that have grown together.

Tough call. I think all of them are great places, but Oxford, Athens and Gainseville are probably most permeated by the college kids, and Fayetteville if you live IN Fayetteville itself.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,921 times
How is Florida not included in this poll?

Old 09-02-2016, 06:27 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
How is Florida not included in this poll?
Wouldn't that be Gainesville and Tallahassee?

Old 09-03-2016, 12:10 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,517 times
No love for Tally or Gainesville. 1 meager vote for Gainesville!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:21 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
The OP gave a hint in his original post. Except for Tallahassee, these are all towns/cities with SEC schools. There are a few other SEC towns/cities that aren't included in the poll.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
No love for Tally or Gainesville. 1 meager vote for Gainesville!
I would wager that few if any voting here have ever seen or set foot in either based on the results thus far.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
My father was a professor at the U of A in Fayetteville, so I know it well enough that I'd NEVER recommend that anyone normal live there. It's not genteely Southern, in the way that the other towns you mention are. Fayetteville is more Biblebelthickywalmartychickenstinkyawful with lots of ultraconservative retirees from other places than a nice interesting college town.

(BTW, I settled in a nice Midwestern college town for retirement, so I do have an inkling about the kind of ambiance for which you're looking.)

Old 09-03-2016, 03:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would certainly add Charlottesville, VA and Chapel Hill, NC to the list.
My first thought exactly. I'm not sure how in the world you could leave off two of the premier college towns in the nation. Other than one of those two, I think I would choose Athens.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM

532 posts, read 821,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
My father was a professor at the U of A in Fayetteville, so I know it well enough that I'd NEVER recommend that anyone normal live there. It's not genteely Southern, in the way that the other towns you mention are. Fayetteville is more Biblebelthickywalmartychickenstinkyawful with lots of ultraconservative retirees from other places than a nice interesting college town.

You're retired and your father was a professor at the UA? You would be really surprised at how much Fayetteville has changed since the 1940s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City