Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'ville' city is your favorite 'ville' city?
Greenville 13 10.24%
Jacksonville 24 18.90%
Knoxville 6 4.72%
Louisville 21 16.54%
Nashville 63 49.61%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

i don't think it is misleading to say the city at the center of SC"s most populated county, MSA, and CSA gives off a city vibe. i would say to describe it as a town is actually rather misleading, because that makes it seem like it is similar to an Aiken.

Knoxville has more linear growth, east to west, while Greenville's growth has been more radial from the downtown area so it makes sense there is more congestion there but it is not evidence the metro is more urban.

Driving from downtown Greenville to the far Simpsonville area could take min 30 minutes during rush hour. It is about 25 minutes not during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't think it is misleading to say the city at the center of SC"s most populated county, MSA, and CSA gives off a city vibe. i would say to describe it as a town is actually rather misleading, because that makes it seem like it is similar to an Aiken.

Knoxville has more linear growth, east to west, while Greenville's growth has been more radial from the downtown area so it makes sense there is more congestion there but it is not evidence the metro is more urban.

Driving from downtown Greenville to the far Simpsonville area could take min 30 minutes during rush hour. It is about 25 minutes not during rush hour.
Metro areas don't feel the same as individual cities. Velingrad is a town with 22,000 or so people yet has as much vibrancy as Greenville.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
I actually feel quite good about each of these places. Here's how they'd rank for me though
1. Knoxville (Knoxville and Greenville were very close. Ultimately I chose Knoxville because it feels like the urban core is somewhat larger, and UT and it's amenities are right there as opposed to Clemson which is about 30-40 minutes outside of Greenville)
2. Greenville
3. Nashville
4. Jacksonville (tie)
4. Louisville (tie)

Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Population Table (CSA), 2015:
1. Nashville: 1,951,644
2. Jacksonville: 1,573,606
3. Louisville: 1,504,559
4. Greenville: 1,426,625
5. Knoxville: 1,109,174

Criteria: (IMO, of course)

- Climate: Jacksonville

- Topography (Scenery): Greenville or Knoxville

- Standard of Living / Quality of Life: Knoxville

- Colleges and Universities: Nashville

- Job Market: Nashville

- Cost of Living: Greenville or Knoxville

- Nightlife: Nashville

- Architecture: Louisville

- Music Scene: Nashville

- Food scene: Nashville

- Cultural Institutions and Performing Arts: Nashville

Knoxville doesn't especially dominate at any of these, but it feels urban enough, has a moderate climate, is close to the mountains, and has a major university plus it is cheaper and has a relaxed pace of living.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Metro areas don't feel the same as individual cities. Velingrad is a town with 22,000 or so people yet has as much vibrancy as Greenville.
i think vibrancy is a subjective concept. I have never been to Velingrad so I can't even discuss that comparison.

Greenville is a city, not a town. People can classify it however they want but you accused me of being misleading. It is the urban center of the most populated county, MSA and CSA in the state of SC, the 23rd most populated state.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-02-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 AM

i can't think of a reason why U of Tenn and Clemson would be amenities unless a person is a student or a fan of their sports. I would think the average transplant has no interaction with these universities. Driving over to Clemson is no big deal and I think it is a better setting for tailgating than around an urban stadium. I think a con of Knoxville for people who are not Tenn fans is the traffic congestion in downtown Knoxville for sporting events.

Clemson's MBA / graduate business program is located on Main Street in Greenville. The Clemson automobile engineering program is located at a research facility near I-85.

The University Center located on Pleasantburg offers various classes taught by a group of state universities including Clemson. http://greenville.org/

Furman and other small universities are in the metro.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-02-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM

But it's exactly that though. As someone who loves sports, I would thoroughly enjoy living close to UT's campus, not only for college football, but for basketball, baseball, etc. It provides near year round entertainment, and living within a few minutes of campus would up the likelihood that I would regularly and thus become a season ticket holder. Overall, I think having a major university nearby, especially a state flagship, is a boon to a town. Sure, there is some extra traffic, but the direct relationship that the university can have with the city can have a positive impact on the livelihood and economy of said community. As per whether or not people at large have a regular relationship with the university, I can't tell you, but in general, universities like it have a number of offerings to the community, inexpensively, including cultural, educational, parks/scenic areas, and I don't have any specific data on this, but I would imagine having a university nearby would add some to the social and food/drink scene of the surrounding area. Think of the smaller cities around the US that are known as hot spots for foodies and art lovers (Ann Arbor, Chapel Hill, Ithaca, Athens, Amherst, etc.). I think it's highly unlikely that they would enjoy their current stature were it not for the university present there. Granted, UT isn't quite considered like some of those places are, but when I visited, I felt that it had as much of the same and added enough value to edge out Greenville for me, in spite of the fact that Greenville was an incredibly well laid out and clean/inviting city overall, perhaps more than Knoxville. Like I said, not a big difference, but college sports in town is probably the tiebreaker for me here.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Jacksonville
Nashville
Louisville
Greenville
Knoxville

Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM

41 posts, read 55,529 times
For someone considering being a teacher in one of these areas, which of these would be preferred?

Mainly, which of these towns are most friendly towards transplants, esp from the North. I love the South but have noticed some people don't seem friendly towards someone who's they might consider a Yankee.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethMac View Post
For someone considering being a teacher in one of these areas, which of these would be preferred?

Mainly, which of these towns are most friendly towards transplants, esp from the North. I love the South but have noticed some people don't seem friendly towards someone who's they might consider a Yankee.
Nashville for sure. Lots of transplants from the northeast and LA for the entertainment industry. I'm from LA and I lived in Louisville a bit. Visiting Nashville reminded me of being home in LA with the way the people dressed and walked to local coffeeshops and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City