Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the friendliest people?
Phoenix, AZ 36 38.30%
Tucson, AZ 25 26.60%
El Paso, TX 33 35.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:58 PM

38 posts, read 53,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
El Paso consistently comes low in polls because most people have a bad image of it being on the border and have never been there. I have been to all three cities and have lived in El Paso and find it very very friendly. Also a little known fact is that ELP consistently ranks one of the top five safest cities in the nation!
I find Phoenix people friendlier than Tucson people, that's for sure. El Paso people might be slightly friendlier than Tucson people, but not that much. I feel people in Tucson are incredibly rude. You get vibes from people here that they don't want to talk. Believe me, Phoenix is a much friendlier city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:57 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherall View Post
I find Phoenix people friendlier than Tucson people, that's for sure. El Paso people might be slightly friendlier than Tucson people, but not that much. I feel people in Tucson are incredibly rude. You get vibes from people here that they don't want to talk. Believe me, Phoenix is a much friendlier city.
I strongly disagree. I don't think you've spent any significant time in Tucson at all. You are probably from the Midwest or California which is why you think Phoenix is the only friendly city. The other two cities on your poll are true Southwest cities and are different culturally. Also people have very little experience with El Paso and Tucson overall, due to being more minor cities, which is another reason why they will poll lower. People will vote based on what they have experienced, and if they haven't experienced Tucson or El Paso but have been to Phoenix...

Old 10-31-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
El Paso consistently comes low in polls because most people have a bad image of it being on the border and have never been there. I have been to all three cities and have lived in El Paso and find it very very friendly. Also a little known fact is that ELP consistently ranks one of the top five safest cities in the nation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
El Paso cuz its in TX
Question about El Paso, did El Paso inherit that Southern hospitality? Because it's in Texas? Or is it too far away I know that El Paso is roughly like a day's drive from Houston, yes?

Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Question about El Paso, did El Paso inherit that Southern hospitality? Because it's in Texas? Or is it too far away I know that El Paso is roughly like a day's drive from Houston, yes?
El Paso is a 13 hour drive from Houston and a 12 hour drive from Dallas. El Paso is the most western Texas City that borders Mexico and New Mexico. It does not feel like you are in Texas whatsoever when your in El Paso. When you get to Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, or San Antonio, you get the Texas feel, experience, and culture. El Paso feels more like a duplicate of Albuquerque and has more New Mexico influence.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
El Paso is a 13 hour drive from Houston and a 12 hour drive from Dallas. El Paso is the most western Texas City that borders Mexico and New Mexico. It does not feel like you are in Texas whatsoever when your in El Paso. When you get to Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, or San Antonio, you get the Texas feel, experience, and culture. El Paso feels more like a duplicate of Albuquerque and has more New Mexico influence.
I would agree with this. El Paso has more in common with Tucson and Albuquerque than it does with any other Texan city.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would agree with this. El Paso has more in common with Tucson and Albuquerque than it does with any other Texan city.
It does not have that much in common with Tucson because Tucson is very green. It does with Albuquerque more because Albuquerque looks exactly like El Paso in terms of terrain and landscaping. Also Tucson does not have highways and El Paso does. Both Albuquerque and El Paso are in the middle of nowhere. Tucson is next to Phoenix, in my opinion, America's best metropolis.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It does not have that much in common with Tucson because Tucson is very green. It does with Albuquerque more because Albuquerque looks exactly like El Paso in terms of terrain and landscaping. Also Tucson does not have highways and El Paso does. Both Albuquerque and El Paso are in the middle of nowhere. Tucson is next to Phoenix, in my opinion, America's best metropolis.
Tucson isn't that green but it is more green than Phoenix. Albuquerque gets slightly more precipitation and actually their desert actually has low-lying grass, but still a desert, I describe it as a plains/desert hybrid because that's actually what ABQ is. I believe ABQ gets two more inches of rain a year than Tucson and due to significant elevation differences leads to huge differences in flora. ABQ also has the Rio Grande which is pretty lush, Tucson no longer has any rivers (we have dry ones that used to be rivers back when there was less people). El Paso has that river too.

Now the Saguaro National Parks... cacti forests most definitely! However ABQ actually appears able to grow grass when Tucson does not, that's a big difference.

Yuma (100 feet give or take)
Phoenix (1k feet)
Tucson (2k feet)
Las Vegas (2k feet)
El Paso ???
Las Cruces ???
Albuquerque (5k feet)
Santa Fe (7k feet)
Flagstaff (7k feet)

Flagstaff is the most green out of any of these and at highest elevation, with SF being a close second but much less green due to less snow I believe.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Tucson isn't that green but it is more green than Phoenix. Albuquerque gets slightly more precipitation and actually their desert actually has low-lying grass, but still a desert, I describe it as a plains/desert hybrid because that's actually what ABQ is. I believe ABQ gets two more inches of rain a year than Tucson and due to significant elevation differences leads to huge differences in flora. ABQ also has the Rio Grande which is pretty lush, Tucson no longer has any rivers (we have dry ones that used to be rivers back when there was less people). El Paso has that river too.

Now the Saguaro National Parks... cacti forests most definitely! However ABQ actually appears able to grow grass when Tucson does not, that's a big difference.

Yuma (100 feet give or take)
Phoenix (1k feet)
Tucson (2k feet)
Las Vegas (2k feet)
El Paso ???
Las Cruces ???
Albuquerque (5k feet)
Santa Fe (7k feet)
Flagstaff (7k feet)

Flagstaff is the most green out of any of these and at highest elevation, with SF being a close second but much less green due to less snow I believe.
El Paso is 3k feet and Las Cruces is 4k Feet. Lubbock is also 3k feet. Las Vegas is 2k feet.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Can't see why El Paso is not Texas. Sure, it is not like the rest of Texas but Texas is so variant and El Paso is its oldest part that was discovered by the Europeans. So Texas is the flatlands, the swamps, the coastline, the petroleum rich Permian Basin, etc AND the more mountainous west Texas. Again, it is the unfamiliarity with El Paso that makes it prone to different stereotypes.

And to answer a question, El Paso's hospitality is not the southern type and that's to say that its not only the south that is hospitable and friendly.

To me Phoenix with all its transplants and big size is not friendly and neither is Tucson when compared to El Paso. El Paso is more genuine when it comes to that. It's more of a hometown.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:11 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times
Quote:
El Paso is 3k feet and Las Cruces is 4k Feet.
El Paso is 3740 ft, Las Cruces is 3900 ft.

Quote:
Can't see why El Paso is not Texas. Sure, it is not like the rest of Texas but Texas is so variant and El Paso is its oldest part that was discovered by the Europeans. So Texas is the flatlands, the swamps, the coastline, the petroleum rich Permian Basin, etc AND the more mountainous west Texas. Again, it is the unfamiliarity with El Paso that makes it prone to different stereotypes.

And to answer a question, El Paso's hospitality is not the southern type and that's to say that its not only the south that is hospitable and friendly.

To me Phoenix with all its transplants and big size is not friendly and neither is Tucson when compared to El Paso. El Paso is more genuine when it comes to that. It's more of a hometown.
Great post! I agree 100%. The people in El Paso seem to be friendlier than Tucson and Phoenix IMO. The people here usually will try to help you out or give directions or simply have a nice chat with anybody about anything. I met more rude people in the Arizona cities than I ever did in El Paso, I mean they are not as bad as other cities but just not as friendly as El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City