Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:05 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
But another thing about Miami that sets it apart from other sunbelt cities is that it has such small city limits.

Most other sunbelt cities take up an insane amount of land area (many are much larger than NYC) and are only considered "big cities" because of how they define their borders.
But then you go to these places and they don't feel like big cities at all since they are so sprawled out. Many "smaller" cities like SF and DC have more of a big city feel than places like Phoenix and Houston
They're considered big cities because they anchor metropolitan regions in the 5-7 million range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta's core maybe bigger than Miami's, but it makes up a smaller percentage of the city, and I don't think Atlanta has a residential neighborhood as urban as Little Havana.
You're using city limit sizes that are arbitrary...why don't we compare Atlanta's older city limits of 36 square miles before the Buckhead/Southwest ATL annexation in the 1950s to Miami's 36 square miles? Atlanta in 1950 had a population of 331k people. Source: http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

You can see in this picture here where exactly the inner 36 square mile core was: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5331/3...94453279_z.jpg

This would seem like a more apples to apples comparison.

Atlanta was a bigger and more dense city in the pre-WWII era. Obviously since then, Miami has built a ton of highrises, but it's not like they're particular walkable...

EDIT: And I'm going through Google Maps right now....what is so impressive about Little Havana?

Old 12-01-2016, 12:11 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's a matter of perspective. If you are from a small, rural town, Oklahoma City feels urban enough. If you've lived in a "real city", it doesn't cut it and doesn't even come close. I wouldn't say anywhere in OKC feels urban, period and it's the epitome of everything wrong with suburban America. Wal-Marts, strip malls, gas stations, and aging ranch subdivisions blanket the entire town. Any other metro area in the country over 500,000 in population is going to feel larger and offer more than OKC. Tulsa is the "city" in Oklahoma.
How do places like Youngstown, Augusta, Modesto, etc. feel larger and offer more than OKC?

Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How do places like Youngstown, Augusta, Modesto, etc. feel larger and offer more than OKC?
Augusta does not. I've never been to Youngstown or Modesto so I can't comment there.

Des Moines, Little Rock, Chattanooga, Columbia SC, Charleston SC, etc however do feel more "urban" than OKC.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:14 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You're using city limit sizes that are arbitrary...why don't we compare Atlanta's older city limits of 36 square miles before the Buckhead/Southwest ATL annexation in the 1950s to Miami's 36 square miles? Atlanta in 1950 had a population of 331k people. Source: http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

You can see in this picture here where exactly the inner 36 square mile core was: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5331/3...94453279_z.jpg

This would seem like a more apples to apples comparison.

Atlanta was a bigger and more dense city in the pre-WWII era. Obviously since then, Miami has built a ton of highrises, but it's not like they're particular walkable...
City limits aren't arbitrary. They are what they are. It's irrelevant that Atlanta USED to be more urban. It isn't now. It's a sprawlburg. And again, Atlanta doesn't have a full residential neighborhood with the urbanity of Little Havanah. Little Five Points is the closest thing.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
City limits aren't arbitrary. They are what they are. It's irrelevant that Atlanta USED to be more urban. It isn't now. It's a sprawlburg. And again, Atlanta doesn't have a full residential neighborhood with the urbanity of Little Havanah. Little Five Points is the closest thing.
Where is the urbanity of little Havana? Can you show me an impressive Google maps images showing the impressive urbanity and walkability of Little Havana? I was expecting Miami Beach's level of walkability, but it's looks very unimpressive.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Where is the urbanity of little Havana? Can you show me an impressive Google maps images showing the impressive urbanity and walkability of Little Havana? I was expecting Miami Beach's level of walkability, but it's looks very unimpressive.
Go there and walk the streets. I speak from experience in both cities, not google street view. It's not impressive or scenic urbanity. It's more akin to Los Angeles urbanity.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
City limits aren't arbitrary. They are what they are.
That's kind of the point LOL. But I'd say that they tend to be more arbitrary for cities that aren't geographically constrained like Atlanta; for Miami, its city limits make sense somewhat although it could have probably still been more expansive.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Go there and walk the streets. I speak from experience in both cities, not google street view. It's not impressive or scenic urbanity. It's more akin to Los Angeles urbanity.
I'll have to disagree with you on Little Havana's "urbanity". Outside of special events like Calle Ocho, there's no spectacular pedestrian activity or street life to be had. It's mainly just an auto oriented strip mall on major thoroughfares, with houses set back from the street on the side streets. On paper, it's "dense", since there are large households, but there are more urban areas in the Miami metro, for sure.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on Little Havana's "urbanity". Outside of special events like Calle Ocho, there's no spectacular pedestrian activity or street life to be had. It's mainly just an auto oriented strip mall on major thoroughfares, with houses set back from the street on the side streets. On paper, it's "dense", since there are large households, but there are more urban areas in the Miami metro, for sure.
It's Sunbelt urbanity. Much closer to LA than NY. The point remains that Atlanta doesn't even have that level of urbanity in a primarily residential neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City