Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities would you rather live in
Oklahoma City 13 15.48%
Phoenix 71 84.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM

511 posts, read 399,442 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been to both cities, I'd choose Phoenix by a landslide. To be honest, OKC is just a bigger version of Lubbock or Amarillo, TX with more big city amenities. The surrounding landscape of the city is flat, barren, and ugly with some bland buildings in the downtown area. This poll makes me laugh.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
As someone who has been to both cities, I'd choose Phoenix by a landslide. To be honest, OKC is just a bigger version of Lubbock or Amarillo, TX with more big city amenities. The surrounding landscape of the city is flat, barren, and ugly with some bland buildings in the downtown area. This poll makes me laugh.
OKC is a cross between Amarillo and Ft Smith, Arkansas but without the extremes of either. It's not as barren or as stark as Amarillo (north and eastern OKC is quite green). It's also not as conservative as Fort Smith, a place that can actually feel like the town in Footloose and that is not hyperbole.

I do agree though, Phoenix is a real city and in hindsight it's stupid to compare a small town like OKC to it. I regret creating this poll, though my intention was not to compare them based on amenities or culture (where Phoenix wins 1000 to 1).

Old 12-10-2016, 04:18 PM

431 posts, read 521,318 times
I just wana know who the 9 ppl are that voted for OKC lol.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Same here, I've been to Oklahoma City, and as a progressive originally from NY, it was very depressing and alienating for me

Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 PM

189 posts, read 166,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Same here, I've been to Oklahoma City, and as a progressive originally from NY, it was very depressing and alienating for me
1. Russell Westbrook
2. Steven Adams
3. Victor Oladipo
4. Enes Kanter
5. Domantas Sabonis
6. Cameron Payne
7. Jerami Grant
8. Andre Roberson
9. Alex Abrines

Kevin Durant took his vote to Oakland.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:06 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
No, it's not.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
No, it's not.

Face it, that post was from some guy from Austin. If you live there it's your job to bash Oklahoma. And the OP? We all know why he starts these threads. He hates living in OKC and enjoys starting the threads so he can delight in all the OKC bashing that goes on in them.

To me, while the Amarillo/Ft Smith hybrid has a grain of truth, OKC is as much or more a hybrid of DFW and Wichita. And as a community it is almost exactly what someone should expect of a city that sits between DFW, Wichita, Ft. Smith and Amarillo. And that includes the weather, terrain, culture, amenities, on down the line.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Face it, that post was from some guy from Austin. If you live there it's your job to bash Oklahoma. And the OP? We all know why he starts these threads. He hates living in OKC and enjoys starting the threads so he can delight in all the OKC bashing that goes on in them.
Why does OKC get torn to shreds in every one of them? It's one of America's least favorite cities and it's that way based on a stereotype that is rooted in truth (though some of it is outdated or exaggerated). I would really like to say OKC is very different from the image most people have of it but cannot. It isn't quite as bad as most people think it is, but it isn't really that far off from it. It's not like Kansas City for instance which is nothing like its national image.

Any city that would compare favorably to wouldn't be well known enough for the thread to make it past its first page. I believe the only peer cities it has won against were Birmingham, Bakersfield, and Little Rock. It would probably win against Jackson MS. Any other city that isn't plagued with a perception of high crime or undesirability will lose to OKC, even if it's half the size.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Why does OKC get torn to shreds in every one of them? It's one of America's least favorite cities and it's that way based on a stereotype that is rooted in truth (though some of it is outdated or exaggerated). I would really like to say OKC is very different from the image most people have of it but cannot. It isn't quite as bad as most people think it is, but it isn't really that far off from it. It's not like Kansas City for instance which is nothing like its national image.

Any city that would compare favorably to wouldn't be well known enough for the thread to make it past its first page. I believe the only peer cities it has won against were Birmingham, Bakersfield, and Little Rock. It would probably win against Jackson MS. Any other city that isn't plagued with a perception of high crime or undesirability will lose to OKC, even if it's half the size.
That must've been an old thread.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That must've been an old thread.
It was a few years back. I think Birmingham might edge out OKC, but both have very negative stigmas associated with them so it would likely be a draw if somebody hasn't been to both cities. I've they've been to OKC but not Birmingham, they might choose OKC. If they've been to Birmingham but not OKC, they would probably choose Birmingham. If they've been to both cities, they would choose Birmingham. If they've been to neither, OKC might barely win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City