Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you prefer
Atlanta 80 50.31%
Minneapolis 79 49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:58 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Minneapolis Metro now has a median a decent amount more expensive than that of Chicago.
People keep saying this, and I don't know where it comes from, but it is not true. Minneapolis isn't as cheap as it used to be but it is still a bit cheaper than Chicago.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Apparently you missed the fact that my post was in response to this ridiculousness:

which was in response to this ridiculousness

Quote:
Poor Minneapolis. It's a great city but as this thread clearly demonstrates, the brutal winters really handicap and limit the appeal to many. Obviously, far more people are able and willing to endure 3-4 months of heat and humidity each year in Atlanta over 6-7 months of frigid snow and icy weather in Minneapolis. And who came blame them?

BTW -- It was 14 in Atlanta on Sunday morning. As I write this, it's 17 in Minneapolis. Just saying ...

Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
India has a billion people....therefore, it is superior to the United States?
Sort of difficult comparing parts of the same country and one country to another, a major reason being development levels. Being at the level it is, India has a very high birth rate while the US remains at around replacement level with not much variance between the states, or at least between Minnesota and Georgia. India even has a negative net flow of migrants while the US leans strongly to a net positive flow. Not very important but shows that India's large population is the result of its development level behind the US.

Minnesota and Georgia are more similar, economically. Granted, there are more to those two states than Minneapolis-Saint Paul and Atlanta, respectively, but those two metropolitan areas make up the bulk of the population. While Minnesota has a net loss in domestic migration, Georgia has a net gain.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, they are only 3.5 hours away. But you're right, neither city is ideal when it comes to proximity to other major cities. Atlanta is the largest metro within a 500 mile radius. But I think Atlanta has more smaller city destinations within closer proximity.
No argument there.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Since weather seems to be the deciding factor for many:

5 Day Forecast

Atlanta H/L: 42/28, 52/45, 66/49, 69/51, 71/50

Minneapolis H/L: 24/23, 28/5, 16/-2, 10/-13, 5/-1

Minneapolis is definitely one of-if not the-coldest major city. We are currently in the middle of an artic blast here in Philly, but I honestly don't think I could deal with those temps on a regular basis in Winter. At least I can look forward to high 50's Weds/Thurs/Fri.

Just for comparison:

Philadelphia H/L: 27/16, 40/37, 48/42, 59/50, 50/34

Honestly weather seems to be one of the only negatives I hear about Minneapolis-that's a good thing! Are there any other cons people who have lived there would state?
I get that, and I can tell you it's overrated but a.) I don't know if that's true for you/everybody, and b.) you could say the same thing about summer heat in Atlanta. Having lived in a handful of other cities and experienced their "winters", I can confirm that for me at least, I prefer for there to be ice and snow if it's going to be colder than 45-50 degrees from Dec-Feb/Mar. Having something to do outside during winter makes such a big difference to me. I'd equate it to saying that Seattle has more comfortable summers than Atlanta, but at least in Atlanta it's hot enough outside to enjoy swimming and water recreation, which is very hard to do when it's 75 degrees and the water is even colder than that.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
One negative is the housing market. There just isn't as much new construction going on in Minneapolis. Many of the homes in the city are over 100yr old! It's awesome if you're looking for a historic home, but if you want something mostly maintenance free and move-in ready, it can be a challenge.
Are you just making this up? It's not hard to find new construction in MSP. No, it's not growing like Atlanta, but there's nothing keeping somebody from building the home of their dreams in MSP -- not even the weather.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
My cousin just took a round trip flight from Atlanta to Chicago for $122 round trip.Atlanta is so much more cheper to fly out of and closer to more cities by air,driving is nit necessary to save money.
A quick Google of flights:

MN-SP to NYC $136
ATL to NYC $107

NYC to MN-SP $181
NYC to ATL $87

Driving is not necessary when the world busiest Airport is in your back yard
Multiply those numbers by 4 and then you can compare that to driving a car with your family. MSP is hardly a regional airport, but I admit it's not cheap to fly out of.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Apparently you missed the fact that my post was in response to this ridiculousness:
I didn't read that last part initially....my bad.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Haven't spent time in either but have a very positive impression of both cities. Weather wouldn't be a factor for me at all. Yeah, winter sucks in the Midwest but you learn how to dress for it and more importantly drink for it

Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I get that, and I can tell you it's overrated but a.) I don't know if that's true for you/everybody, and b.) you could say the same thing about summer heat in Atlanta. Having lived in a handful of other cities and experienced their "winters", I can confirm that for me at least, I prefer for there to be ice and snow if it's going to be colder than 45-50 degrees from Dec-Feb/Mar. Having something to do outside during winter makes such a big difference to me. I'd equate it to saying that Seattle has more comfortable summers than Atlanta, but at least in Atlanta it's hot enough outside to enjoy swimming and water recreation, which is very hard to do when it's 75 degrees and the water is even colder than that.
Yes-I have said that before. Coldness without snow is just completely useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City